High School Nfhs Proposed Spirit Rule Changes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My high school team just got word of no more double downs and lets just say it is not pretty and they are not happy!!! a few of them haven't done just a full down in years I'm not sure if they even remember how!

WOW .. It would be nice if there were Beginner / Intermediate / Advanced levels for high schools in states. Then teams that have to go up against those teams doubling won't have to push the envelope and then all those injuries wouldn't occur. Just a thought - I know that at some competitions they offer these levels but not at each state.

It would be great if States could do a levels system! But here's the thing...You get teachers that have no clue about cheer to fill in at schools where no one wants the job...then they show up to practice and say "Hey! Just try it!" And those cheerleaders have no clue about proper progressions and technique. So they try certain more elite skills and get hurt and some times bad. Thats what we need to work on as a High School Cheer Community is Coaches Training.

I have been coaching now for many years and I still jump on any chance I get to learn better techniques and progressions to keep my kids safe. People like Tony Nash (Former head coach of Morehead St. and Current Indiana All-Girl) have taught me the right way on how to do things. And I really feel that this needs to happen nation wide. Coaches need to be more hands-on their kids and get in there.

It would be great if States could do a levels system! But here's the thing...You get teachers that have no clue about cheer to fill in at schools where no one wants the job...then they show up to practice and say "Hey! Just try it!" And those cheerleaders have no clue about proper progressions and technique. So they try certain more elite skills and get hurt and some times bad. Thats what we need to work on as a High School Cheer Community is Coaches Training.

I have been coaching now for many years and I still jump on any chance I get to learn better techniques and progressions to keep my kids safe. People like Tony Nash (Former head coach of Morehead St. and Current Indiana All-Girl) have taught me the right way on how to do things. And I really feel that this needs to happen nation wide. Coaches need to be more hands-on their kids and get in there.
Amen!!

EXACTLY!!! I'm applying for a cheer coaching positions and hopefully I get it over the "parent" who applied against me. I've coached for many years (HS, All-Star, Pop-Warner) and I've had many great coaches/colleagues who have helped me teach in proper progression/technique ... My TOP GUN friends (Cory, Greg, Carlos) have been great and now that I'm in Cali - I continue to watch and learn ... I hope that they come up with some kind of test/prep for coaches so parents/teachers or those unqualified get to coach

I think braced pyramids sound awsome but I think that they went to far with taking away the double downs, if you can twist it twice then why not flaunt it!

I think braced pyramids sound awsome but I think that they went to far with taking away the double downs, if you can twist it twice then why not flaunt it!
I think the problem is not what you said re: twisting, flaunting it... heck, I agree. But you have to remember people were unsafelt attempting and it was causing more injuries.

Typically in a full down, there is less speed and it's easier to catch and teach and while there is a risk in anything you do, that is a little less. Double downs are constantly being thrown, top girls are hurling themselves, elbows are out, they lose their spot in the air, there is a lot of potential contact to someones head/nose/face, and even just flat out getting dropped if they spin and freak out!

I think the problem is not what you said re: twisting, flaunting it... heck, I agree. But you have to remember people were unsafelt attempting and it was causing more injuries.

Typically in a full down, there is less speed and it's easier to catch and teach and while there is a risk in anything you do, that is a little less. Double downs are constantly being thrown, top girls are hurling themselves, elbows are out, they lose their spot in the air, there is a lot of potential contact to someones head/nose/face, and even just flat out getting dropped if they spin and freak out!

That is true, I usually see when they attempt double downs a 1 and half

I wish they would have at least left 1/2 (prep/elevator) double downs in! I hate to see double downs go but I definitely understand the safety issue. Maybe in a few years when most teams have solid full downs and the technique gets better and more consistent they will bring them back. The main problem is the coaching. I hope they work on that!!!

in the webinar thing they had today they said that they kept track of doubles at NHSCC finals this year. They said 52% of the double downs performed in finals from the top notch teams didn't make it around completely. Anyone else notice that? I was in the varsity arena while finals were going in the fieldhouse, but I find it a little high. of course most the videos have the stunt sequence cut out so its not like we can go back and confirm that statistic or not.

in the webinar thing they had today they said that they kept track of doubles at NHSCC finals this year. They said 52% of the double downs performed in finals from the top notch teams didn't make it around completely. Anyone else notice that? I was in the varsity arena while finals were going in the fieldhouse, but I find it a little high. of course most the videos have the stunt sequence cut out so its not like we can go back and confirm that statistic or not.

I sat and watched every division and no lie they were not making it around, the point typically did but that seems about right, I was going to say seems LOW!

Back