All-Star No Tolerance For Underage Drinking At Worlds?!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oh I'm probably basing it on what it said on here. I swore I saw it actually somewhere "legit" - but sometimes my mind turns FierceBoard into "legit". But I thought I read something that actually said it. Of course now it's nowhere to be found so yet another check for "Just-a-Mom is crazy":confused: It wouldn't be the first time...

Don't get me wrong, I think there should be a crackdown and my wife campaigned for change for quite a while. And while I do think it has gotten better there's still lots of room for improvement.

Anyway, I had posted that I would have no tolerance for any indication of alcohol or impairment especially while I was in the warm up area. Unfortunately, I never made it to the warm up area.

But that's the only "announcement" of which I'm aware and it was mine; not the USASF.

The Worlds packet mentions no alcohol and drugs twice. I figured it would be known that the USASF would have no tolerance for underage drinking, if they don't really care then I will not feel bad when something happens and it falls into their hands to deal with.

The Worlds packet mentions no alcohol and drugs twice. I figured it would be known that the USASF would have no tolerance for underage drinking, if they don't really care then I will not feel bad when something happens and it falls into their hands to deal with.

I didn't say or imply that they don't really care.

Alcohol or no alcohol, the block party should not be included in the Worlds Package. You should have to choose to purchase it, if there should even be one at all. Maybe I'm just stupid, or ignorant, but I have been to worlds the last two years and I feel like people are exaggerating this situation just a bit. People were definitely drinking Thursday and Sunday when I was there, and some definitely looked a little young, but who was I to judge if they were under 21? More importantly, I thought there were far more blatantly drunk COACHES and PARENTS then there were drunk athletes at Worlds when I was there. To be honest, I can bet that a large sum of the underage athletes that are drinking are getting that alcohol from their parents or coaches. That's where their parents and coaches are. I'm not saying every parent or coach provides it directly, but I think you'd be surprised at how many parents of high schoolers are more than willing to provide their kid with alcohol if it means that their little princess will be happy with her (insert number here)th place finish. Especially if they're drunk themselves there. We aren't stupid, we know which houses have "those" parents that will let you get away with it. Like I said, maybe I'm being naive or ignorant, but personally I don't think I am.

Maybe it should be the responsibility of the coaches/parents to check bags. Clearly these kids came to Disney with alchohol, it's kinda hard to go off on your own while down there and find a liquor store.

When my oldest CP was on her HS cheer team and we went away to Canam for Nationals, before boarding the bus w had them ALL put their luggage on a table while we inspected it. Those water bottles could contain vodka and that shampoo bottle, better check it again!
I totally agree....the alcohol is coming from home. Another way the kids get it is to steal it from their parents rooms. Parents stop drinking at World's, this is a cheerleading competition...not a vacation. How can adults teach the children proper behavior when all they can talk about is who is bringing what to the pool party? Adults glamorize the drinking.

9 times out of 10 it is the underage drinkers being more obnoxious while drunk then someone who is of age. I know that isn't the case all the time, but I know that being a college student it is usually those underage people that get on my nerves when I am drinking.

I also realized that because I drank when I was younger once I turned 21 it really lost its excitement....so why not just wait?
Truth. I can easily say, as a 21-year-old college student, that there's NOTHING more awkward/annoying then underage kids being drunk. Because they're usually the ones who, when drunk, both think that they're hilarious and that everyone else thinks so as well (probably due to the fact that they're using alcohol as a way to boost their lack of self-esteem which is common in that age group) so they stumble around and start trying to be your best friend. Fact is: you are not funny. You are woefully unfunny. And considering all I watched you drink was a wine cooler and you're dancing around like you've chugged a straight bottle of Dubra..yes, I'm judging you right now. Which means I DON'T want to go back to your dorm to hang out. You look 12. Good day to you sir/madam. At least, when I get a little messy in public, I keep my mess to myself. It's only polite. Nothing's more embarrassing than being messy, getting sick in public on the subway platform, and being aware enough to realize everyone else is shying away from you to the opposite ends of the platform because you're 'that girl.' It's just shame-inducing. I think I apologized to my friend 20x for being 'that girl.'

I guess this has been one of the most depressing threads I've read - and yet I keep coming back to it - kind of like not being able to turn away from a train wreck. Anytime you have a large group of teens together - are some going to find a way to get alcohol? Yep. Are they all going to - heck, no. I get so tired of the "all kids are going to drink" or "this is just the way it is now" garbage. There are many teenagers and young adults (even legal age) who choose not to drink even when given the opportunity and I resent those kids being lumped in by some on this board with those teens too stupid to realize the danger they are putting themselves in. Once you're intoxicated you don't have the sense to stop and alcohol poisoning is a real danger as is the more likely threat of doing something you would never do sober or potentially putting yourself in a dangerous situation. Do I want to see a bunch of drunk teenagers - no, but I actually have slightly more tolerance for them (while at the same time worrying about them) than I do a bunch of drunk adults who should know better. @star1998 - couldn't agree more. I have been to baseball tournaments with my son and cheer comps with my daughter and seen parents on my children's teams drunk out in public - wonderful example for your children. And then one child loses his spot on a college sports team for underage drinking and the parents are furious (look in the mirror people.) It sounds as though the block party is a bad idea unless Disney and the sponsoring company monitor it more closely - which I do consider their responsibility as the vast majority of competitors are under legal drinking age.

i have no clue if this was the same group, but i was watching the dance circle and there was a couple of guys dancing and smoking weed! they were holding it up in the air and everything and the cops were even watching them and the cops didnt do anything!!

i have no clue if this was the same group, but i was watching the dance circle and there was a couple of guys dancing and smoking weed! they were holding it up in the air and everything and the cops were even watching them and the cops didnt do anything!!
I HIGHLY doubt that was weed.

Pretty easy to know if it was weed because the smell is awful and most can't mistake the smell.

@kristenthegreat your story made my day. I have been "that girl" girl before and it is not something to be proud of like a lot of people I see on facebook and twitter are. They make it so obvious that they are underage because the way they brag and laugh about it. Sorry but put on your "big kid pants" you think you should be wearing and try acting like a real adult. Bragging for the world to see just makes you look....stupid.

Maybe instead of targetting the athletes for the drinking start targetting the coaches and things could change. If an athlete gets caught drinking and it threatens the coach more then the athlete I have a feeling the coaches will care a lot more if their athletes are drinking. And I still say the Block Party should be optional and not included in the bid money.

I agree with @ztaprincess and @kristenthegreat . The only thing more annoying than an obnoxious drunk person is an obnoxious drunk person who is also underage. Not knowing your limits isn't funny, it's embarrassing for you and everyone who associates with you. Is it mildly entertaining at times? of course! But the novelty wears off after about 5 minutes.

Latest posts

Back