All-Star No Tolerance For Underage Drinking At Worlds?!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

If this team was from Canada most likely this team was an international team and these girls could have been 21. I know a lot of people who are like 25 and look like they could pass to be 17. How would they get the alcohol? You never know they could have been old enough to drink. It's not like you looked at their ID. USASF could not keep track of every single cheerleader there. What most people don't understand is that people have lives and I am sure after the competition was over the staff was probably ready to go home and could care less about underage drinking. At least the girls weren't driving. The girls were not going to hurt you, so you really have to bring your self to the fact that sometimes you just have to ignore people. You will come in contact with many drunk people in your life so you probably should just learn to deal with it.

I think that this problem exists everywhere you go, any sporting event. Think about all the crazy tail gating at college games and most of them are underage. I think that this is the cops/parents responsibility to deal with, and Im not just saying that because Im 17. Everywhere in life there are going to be things you dont like. If the percentage of drunk people at the block party (im sure it was less than 50%), then dont go. Same goes for the milkhouse. No one says you have to associate with them. I understand the parents concerns but there are much worse things in the world to shelter your child from than a few college kids having fun. Please dont jump on me, but this is just my opinion.

I don't have a problem with of-age college kids drinking in public. What I have a problem with is under-age drinkers, and of-age drinkers, acting out in front of my child (who might even be on a team with them, or be coached by them.) You can refer to the Senior Age Change thread at this point, because if my young child is Worlds-eligible, she could be 12. 12. And she doesn't have the foresight to mentally separate watching what her cheer idol does on the floor from what her cheer idol does at the block party. Further, if the rest of her team is at the Block Party, where does she go? She'll be unsupervised in a hotel room? A hotel room in a hotel where, apparently, @Jmorries saw drugs being done with doors open?
I'm not trying to jump on you, I'm just trying to express that though we (parents/adults) know drinking exists, it doesn't need to be flaunted, and everyone's safety needs to be taken into consideration. I get that teens and young adults are invincible. I was too. Until I got drunk and was run over by a truck. Broken everythings tend to put a damper on your tryouts for the season.

I think that this problem exists everywhere you go, any sporting event. Think about all the crazy tail gating at college games and most of them are underage. I think that this is the cops/parents responsibility to deal with, and Im not just saying that because Im 17. Everywhere in life there are going to be things you dont like. If the percentage of drunk people at the block party (im sure it was less than 50%), then dont go. Same goes for the milkhouse. No one says you have to associate with them. I understand the parents concerns but there are much worse things in the world to shelter your child from than a few college kids having fun. Please dont jump on me, but this is just my opinion.

I don't really care about college kids getting drunk - at least they're adults deciding to break the law and they know the consequences. But I think this thread is about the high school kids doing so, not "a few college kids" having fun. Kids who should be under adult supervision. Some of my teammates had a few drinks before we went to the Block Party, but they were all of age and weren't being loud and obnoxious and screaming on the bus the way many of the kids in line were.

If this team was from Canada most likely this team was an international team and these girls could have been 21. I know a lot of people who are like 25 and look like they could pass to be 17. How would they get the alcohol? You never know they could have been old enough to drink. It's not like you looked at their ID. USASF could not keep track of every single cheerleader there. What most people don't understand is that people have lives and I am sure after the competition was over the staff was probably ready to go home and could care less about underage drinking. At least the girls weren't driving. The girls were not going to hurt you, so you really have to bring your self to the fact that sometimes you just have to ignore people. You will come in contact with many drunk people in your life so you probably should just learn to deal with it.

Wow. Really? You think I might come into contact with many drunk people in my life? :rolleyes: That's not the issue. And the issue isn't college kids drinking. The MAJORITY of athletes at Worlds are 18 and under, not over. Is it OK for the college kids that are over 21? Sure. But I doubt they are the ones falling down drunk. My experience (and I'm a lot older than most of you, so trust me, I have enough experience to speak on this) is that when there is a group of kids and some are falling down drunk, screaming and laughing at each other, those are not the ones who are over 21. They're usually the 16 year olds. So no, I won't "just learn to deal with it". Unlike most people these days, I have no problem telling kids when they're out of line. As for the girls not hurting the OP: one, they were annoying the @$%* out of her, which is painful. Two, have you people never seen a Lifetime movie??? There are dangers associated with alcohol - I know none of you KIDS want to realize that because you think it'll never happen to you...but for the gazillionth time: heaven help us when someone gets seriously hurt, killed, raped, or any other horrible thing you can imagine at Worlds. I bet everyone will be singing a whole different tune then.

But yes, I will at least listen enough to you guys to make the decision that neither of my kids will ever go to the Block Party at Worlds until they are over 18. Ever.

As to the part I bolded: what's funny is if you read the other threads about legalities in routines, too many boys, etc. the standard party line is that the USASF people are STILL in Orlando, even now. And that's why none of those issues are being addressed yet. So much for the big rush to get home, huh?

Also, the USASF is the one who made the statement that underage drinking would not be tolerated. The whole line of thought of getting rid of the DJ was to make it less like a night club and more like a party in the park for EVERYONE. Since they are the ones who stated it wouldn't be tolerated, I guess that it's not so unreasonable for all of us to be sitting here saying "OK USASF...when does the 'will not be tolerated' part kick in?"

9 times out of 10 it is the underage drinkers being more obnoxious while drunk then someone who is of age. I know that isn't the case all the time, but I know that being a college student it is usually those underage people that get on my nerves when I am drinking.

I just think that the Block Party should not be included in the bid. The EPs are not paying money to send teams to FL so that they can drink. If they want to attend then they can pay the extra money out of their pocket.

I do agree that there is drinking at other events, but I have seen on more then one occasion under age drinkers being arrested at Tailgates. Those students didn't sign a contract and waiver agreeing not to drink but these athletes did.

Maybe I should go to Worlds next year and just hang out AA material to those that seems to not be able to go a weekend without a drink. I can easily tell them a story of my grandfather who can't go a day without a drink, lets just say he isn't in the best shape.

I also realized that because I drank when I was younger once I turned 21 it really lost its excitement....so why not just wait?

Can we just end this tread? (Some, not all) Teens drink. End of story. USASF nor Disney is going to stop them from doing it at Worlds. And there will always be ways to sneak it in or get around it. So wether you like it or not, they're going to do it. And choosing to NOT send your kids to Worlds because there are other kids doing it is kind of dumb. And that's really sad that some of you would deprive your kid of experiencing Worlds because the other kids are drinking and acting a fool. How about you put some trust in your kids and let them experience the best weekend they will probably ever have.

Do you have children? Just asking because if you don't then I don't believe you will understand why a parent would feel that way. Parents are protective over their children and want to keep them safe. If there are drunk kids running around then that can put their child in danger. It is a parents job to decide what is safe for their child while they are underage.

I don't have a problem with of-age college kids drinking in public. What I have a problem with is under-age drinkers, and of-age drinkers, acting out in front of my child (who might even be on a team with them, or be coached by them.) You can refer to the Senior Age Change thread at this point, because if my young child is Worlds-eligible, she could be 12. 12. And she doesn't have the foresight to mentally separate watching what her cheer idol does on the floor from what her cheer idol does at the block party. Further, if the rest of her team is at the Block Party, where does she go? She'll be unsupervised in a hotel room? A hotel room in a hotel where, apparently, @Jmorries saw drugs being done with doors open?
I'm not trying to jump on you, I'm just trying to express that though we (parents/adults) know drinking exists, it doesn't need to be flaunted, and everyone's safety needs to be taken into consideration. I get that teens and young adults are invincible. I was too. Until I got drunk and was run over by a truck. Broken everythings tend to put a damper on your tryouts for the season.

Im so sorry thats terrible! I dont think I am invincible and wasnt the one drinking, obviously. Your story may talk some sense into people!

Im so sorry thats terrible! I dont think I am invincible and wasnt the one drinking, obviously. Your story may talk some sense into people!

Nah, my friends saw it and still drank. Affected me a lot though. They, however, were still invincible. :rolleyes:

but at college football games, it's the fans tailgating before the games. not the athletes. at worlds it was pretty much everyone who was there fans AND athletes AND coaches.

Maybe it should be the responsibility of the coaches/parents to check bags. Clearly these kids came to Disney with alchohol, it's kinda hard to go off on your own while down there and find a liquor store.

When my oldest CP was on her HS cheer team and we went away to Canam for Nationals, before boarding the bus w had them ALL put their luggage on a table while we inspected it. Those water bottles could contain vodka and that shampoo bottle, better check it again!

I'm confused as to if some of you think the drinking goes on on Friday and Saturday night?!?! I didn't see ONE athlete who was competing on Saturday, drinking on Friday. Athletes are smarter than that. The only time I saw drinking was Thursday night and Sunday night....when teams were getting there and after they had competed. I HIGHLY doubt anyone would get s-faced the night before they compete!

I agree, I was in Downtown Disney on Friday night and did not see ONE cheerleader!

Wow. Really? You think I might come into contact with many drunk people in my life? :rolleyes: That's not the issue. And the issue isn't college kids drinking. The MAJORITY of athletes at Worlds are 18 and under, not over. Is it OK for the college kids that are over 21? Sure. But I doubt they are the ones falling down drunk. My experience (and I'm a lot older than most of you, so trust me, I have enough experience to speak on this) is that when there is a group of kids and some are falling down drunk, screaming and laughing at each other, those are not the ones who are over 21. They're usually the 16 year olds. So no, I won't "just learn to deal with it". Unlike most people these days, I have no problem telling kids when they're out of line. As for the girls not hurting the OP: one, they were annoying the @$%* out of her, which is painful. Two, have you people never seen a Lifetime movie??? There are dangers associated with alcohol - I know none of you KIDS want to realize that because you think it'll never happen to you...but for the gazillionth time: heaven help us when someone gets seriously hurt, killed, raped, or any other horrible thing you can imagine at Worlds. I bet everyone will be singing a whole different tune then.

But yes, I will at least listen enough to you guys to make the decision that neither of my kids will ever go to the Block Party at Worlds until they are over 18. Ever.

As to the part I bolded: what's funny is if you read the other threads about legalities in routines, too many boys, etc. the standard party line is that the USASF people are STILL in Orlando, even now. And that's why none of those issues are being addressed yet. So much for the big rush to get home, huh?

Also, the USASF is the one who made the statement that underage drinking would not be tolerated. The whole line of thought of getting rid of the DJ was to make it less like a night club and more like a party in the park for EVERYONE. Since they are the ones who stated it wouldn't be tolerated, I guess that it's not so unreasonable for all of us to be sitting here saying "OK USASF...when does the 'will not be tolerated' part kick in?"

I honestly wasn't posting this directly to you. It was mostly to the girl who posted this. So yeah sorry if you got offended.

Also, the USASF is the one who made the statement that underage drinking would not be tolerated.

Everyone keeps saying this and I'm curious where this was stated? Somewhere other than the Agreement of Compliance in the Worlds package?

Or is this whole thread based on my statement on this board?

I also have one more comment to make, underage drinking is not tolerated in the US and the police can't even control that all the time because they don't know it's going on and sometimes I guess USASF can't either. Give them a break.

Everyone keeps saying this and I'm curious where this was stated? Somewhere other than the Agreement of Compliance in the Worlds package?

Or is this whole thread based on my statement on this board?

Oh I'm probably basing it on what it said on here. I swore I saw it actually somewhere "legit" - but sometimes my mind turns FierceBoard into "legit". But I thought I read something that actually said it. Of course now it's nowhere to be found so yet another check for "Just-a-Mom is crazy":confused: It wouldn't be the first time...

Latest posts

Back