Points Of View: Competitive Cheer Should Be Ncaa Sport

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 28, 2013
Click For Full Article

The Baylor Lariat published Points of View: Competitive Cheer Should be NCAA Sport, weighing in on the Cheerleading as a sport conversation. Although the NCAA does not recognize competitive cheerleading as a sport, girls around the world are fighting the battle to get their passion recognized.

This reporter needs more information about what qualifies a sport within the NCAA before turning in this her essay to her teacher..

What are the qualifications?
Can't find a link at the moment. But I know a regulated season within leagues where wins and losses can be determined is one large key. A clear defined way that creates head to head competition and scoring. Also the sport that is introduced must not be similar to other existing sports. Which is why the gymnastics issue has come into play for years. They are similar in how they are organized and judged but they have technical differences which make it hard to adopt.

Not saying she isn't right that it should be but there is a lot more at stake than just saying hey its a sport because tons of girls participate in it.

Also the sport that is introduced must not be similar to other existing sports. Which is why the gymnastics issue has come into play for years. They are similar in how they are organized and judged but they have technical differences which make it hard to adopt. it.

Really? That's kind of surprises me. Gymnastics and cheer are really different.

Fierce, Fearless, Focused

Really? That's kind of surprises me. Gymnastics and cheer are really different.

Fierce, Fearless, Focused
To us, yes they are different. However, I cannot count on one hand the number of people who have said to me "that's really not cheerleading, what you do! It's like group gymnastics!" And in all honesty, when you look at them in a larger perspective they really are very similar. Which is why NCATA has partnered under the USA gymnastics umbrella. By making acro and tumbling (which in my opinion combines to good things about cheer and gymnastics) a discipline of gymnastics, it is more plausible for the NCAA to accept it as a sport and provide more opportunities for competitive cheerleaders to continue in the sport they love while still getting the benefits of being a NCAA student athlete.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Back