All-Star Prayers To Those In The Path Of Hurricane Sandy...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I did get a little snippy with a friend this weekend who kept posting on Facebook that she didn't know why everyone was so uptight, and that she was excited and couldn't wait. I finally couldn't take it and replied - "You clearly have never seen any of this up close and in real life. It's not "exciting" to lose everything. It's not "exciting" to see your car and half your belongings floating in what used to be a street and is now a river." :banghead:

I know it's a little bit different, but there really are people out there who are fascinated with storms like that (But, that probably isn't why she was saying it)--When I was like 5 years old I wanted to be a tornado chaser when I grew up. To this day, tornadoes fascinate me, and in a weird way, I see them as majestic. Destructive, but majestic. I haven't actually seen one in person, but I've always wanted to, and literally, the day I left my parents house to go back to school for the semester, there was a tornado in town, and I was pretty bummed I didn't see it. But I have that feeling because I wanted to study them and really understand them when I was a child, and I still have some of that in me (the movie Twister was my inspiration as a little girl. haha)

To just have a desire to see it destroy things is a different story.

ydysy2a4.jpg

saw this photo lastnight on twitter, I'm guessing this was in New York.

and this was from The Weather Channel's Facebook page, this was sent from Manhattan

7e7e4uhe.jpg

Hahahahah. Last night at dinner a friend of mine was tell us about the crazy flood this last year in Duluth MN and how there had been seals in the road. He told me to google it and this first picture was the exact one that showed up haha

Hahahahah. Last night at dinner a friend of mine was tell us about the crazy flood this last year in Duluth MN and how there had been seals in the road. He told me to google it and this first picture was the exact one that showed up haha

Yeahhh, that seal picture is not from this storm at all.

Lost power in NoVA around 8 last night and my house temp dropped to 59 degrees. I had to sleep with knee highs, yoga pants, and a sweatshirt on.SMH. Good thing we have a generator, I'm still connected with the outside world.
Ugh, I know that feeling. The 2010-2011 winter was terrible in New England, so cold and we just kept getting snow, and our heat crapped out twice on us that winter, once when it was about 0 degrees outside. We woke up one morning and tried to suck it up through the cold, thinking that we just had our thermostat down to save on heat. Nope, it was about 50 degrees in the apartment.

Hope everyone's safe! I live in CT & haven't had power since around 4 yesterday. They aren't even giving estimates as to when they think it'll be back but I'm praying its not 5 days like Irene was last year.. As of Sunday school was already cancelled until Thursday but my dad thinks we won't have it at all this week now because of how much damage there has been. My aunt is a school nurse & they wanted her to help man a shelter last night. The police told her they would pick her up then called back later saying never mind there's way too many trees & wires down so they couldn't get to her so the roads are pretty bad.. My gym is fine just without power & my house is okay too a tree fell but thankfully it was in the driveway.
e5ejeveb.jpg
I couldn't read all of this thread since I have limited phone battery (just got service back not too long ago) but I hope everyone is okay!

I know it's a little bit different, but there really are people out there who are fascinated with storms like that (But, that probably isn't why she was saying it)--When I was like 5 years old I wanted to be a tornado chaser when I grew up. To this day, tornadoes fascinate me, and in a weird way, I see them as majestic. Destructive, but majestic. I haven't actually seen one in person, but I've always wanted to, and literally, the day I left my parents house to go back to school for the semester, there was a tornado in town, and I was pretty bummed I didn't see it. But I have that feeling because I wanted to study them and really understand them when I was a child, and I still have some of that in me (the movie Twister was my inspiration as a little girl. haha)

To just have a desire to see it destroy things is a different story.

I get it. Weather is fascinating. Wanting to study weather and follow storms to understand them is completely not the same thing as being "excited" for a hurricane to come to your home. And much like you said - you haven't seen one in person. Most people who want to see tornadoes and hurricanes in person have never seen the devastation they cause.

When you go to a town and see people standing next to what used to be their home where everything they own is destroyed and gone, it's hard to be patient with people saying it's "exciting". You'll note those are the same people who don't evacuate when told to and then expect the rest of us to risk life and limb to rescue them.

All of the devastation from these storms is just so Surreal!!! I am very worried for many family and Friends in NJ, DC, PA, WV, OH.. it is now getting hard to sleep worrying about so many.. I will continue to PRAY for all affected by this weather and hope that all can and will recover from this devastation.. Cheers everyone, and continue to STAY SAFE PLEASE!!!!!!:(:fro:

@ tuckxandxtwist if it really fascinates you, maybe you should look into it as an actual job? Those people who follow storms are one of the reasons they're able to predict them so well and get people to safety. You might be the perfect person for it. (not me, I'll be the one hiding)

@ tuckxandxtwist if it really fascinates you, maybe you should look into it as an actual job? Those people who follow storms are one of the reasons they're able to predict them so well and get people to safety. You might be the perfect person for it. (not me, I'll be the one hiding)

I really did want to be a tornado chaser when I was little--I was a rather odd child; before that job, I wanted to be a paleontologist (at like, 4 years old....). I'd love to get into studying it, but that's going to be something I'd have to go back to school for in a couple of years. But for now, I'm that weirdo sitting in the back of classes this week following storm patterns instead of paying attention to the lecture....

This was Lake Erie last night, they had to shut down I90 because the waves were crashing over it. And if you know any of the Great Lakes, this is crazy, especially since they usually have no waves at all. Luckily, we just got snow and wind here.

4b1ac11d0c54812338fd05013f8a3c68

c77cf2e2a4774773246b7492a0d903e0

My daughter's boyfriend is a US Forest Service Hotshot firefighter. Five crews, including his, were just ordered by FEMA to respond for hurricane relief. They will be flying out tomorrow. Their responsibility will be opening roads with trees across them. We were talking about this at dinner last night and he was saying he wanted to go. These are hard working men and women and they will do a great job.

Since I wasn't working today or tomorrow, I contemplated volunteering. Unfortunately, I have no way to get anywhere..so that's a no go :(

Has anyone heard anything about Shoreham, NY or Bay Shore, NY? I know that Long Island got hit pretty hard, especially the South Shore. I have friends living in both and I heard back from one in Bay Shore that said he had power, but no cable/internet, but then I never heard back again (he lives about 3 miles from the bay). Just want to know how things are looking around there.

149poqb.jpg

this was before the storm even really started. trampolines are no joke. stay safe!
This actually happened out in Bohemia which is about 20 minutes from us. My friend's trampoline flew over her fence into her neighbor's yard and fortunately got caught in trees so it did not hit anything else.

Has anyone heard anything about Shoreham, NY or Bay Shore, NY? I know that Long Island got hit pretty hard, especially the South Shore. I have friends living in both and I heard back from one in Bay Shore that said he had power, but no cable/internet, but then I never heard back again (he lives about 3 miles from the bay). Just want to know how things are looking around there.
Things are looking pretty bad along most of the South Shore. Some places have power, some do not. Pretty much no one has cable unless you had a DSL line.

This was Lake Erie last night, they had to shut down I90 because the waves were crashing over it. And if you know any of the Great Lakes, this is crazy, especially since they usually have no waves at all. Luckily, we just got snow and wind here.

4b1ac11d0c54812338fd05013f8a3c68

c77cf2e2a4774773246b7492a0d903e0

I live a few miles from Lake Erie and we have a boat that (luckily) didn't get damaged at all. We went to the marina early Monday morning to make sure it was tied up super tight. I took a video and some pictures of the waves from the lake Monday night. Ill post them later when I can get on the computer. The beach is completely gone.

Back