All-Star Progressions In Stunting Vs Tumbling

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

For us it has always depended on the team. In a building year, it's more on basics, or new creativity in transitions/pyramids. Something easier but still new to us. In a year where we're got the majority of the team back, it's more advanced skills.

Sometimes too, it's nice to get a new set of eyes in to give some feedback. I know my kids generally stop listening to my corrections by November. When I bring in a guest coach, they suddenly make those same corrections. They an also see things I might miss, teaching me to be a better coach too.

ETA - sometimes, even when we have the harder skills (full baskets), we are taken back to the basics by other coaches (tucks/lays) to ensure we are building those skills properly, similar to what you mentioned earlier about having strong basics will give you harder skills faster. When everyone in your division is throwing fulls, it begins to come down to who does them better, so we do work that as well as new skills

If a half and extended lib are the forward and backward roll of stunting is it only when getting into elite level loads, transitions, and dismounts that it is actually difficult to teach?
Depends on the person/people. Some people can't do a forward roll, and some can't do a prep. Typically, people can do a both, but with bad technique (I'm talking lay people here). Some people can be taught to stunt in a matter of hours, and some people progress rapidly with their tumbling in a matter of weeks. Again, it's not that tumbling is hypothetically harder, but that tumbling involves only one person, whereas stunting always involves at least two.

My HS team is like crazy good at stunting. We learned switchup ups, full ups in one day, and mastered release moves with no problems. We genuinely stunt L4/L5 allstar. However tumbling is a struggle. Some fear it, some aren't athletic enough to do the skills. Tumbling is muscle memory, and confidence, while stunting is figuring out what works and technique.

The summer before my second year of cheer, coming out of a level 1 team and moving into a level 2, I attended a stunt clinic with many girls from my gym. The highest level of stunting I could hit before the clinic was a straight up extension (I am a side) and within the first hour of the stunt clinic, I was hitting double ups. The people running the clinic had put me in a group with a two girls from a J5, a main and a flyer. The clinic was 8 hours in total and by the end I was hitting rewinds in a group and rewinds in a partner stunt (basing). For a long time I believed it was just because of the two J5 girls that I was hitting these stunts, but I ended up attending another clinic months later and was hitting the same things with a different group (I was the only l5 base in the group). Stunting has always been my strong point, so I guess it had something to do with that. I also took many, many tumbling clinics and it did nothing for me. It took me 5 years just to throw a standing tuck by myself. I guess it all just depends on the person.

Observation: I'm primarily a L2 and 3 coach.

The BIGGEST jump in stunting difficulty comes somewhere between L1/2 and Level 3. That jump to more fully extended stunts is ROUGH for some girls. If you're going to struggle with stunting, that's usually where I see it start.

I've seen kids come in as L2 back spots and REALLY struggle to start backing the more difficult transitions.

Same with flyers. Girls will be L2 point flyer and get really frustrated with themselves because they're on L2 again because flying in extended single leg stunts vs. that shoulder level extension prep or lib at prep level height is a totally different animal.

However, I have found that once you get over the L3 hump, it's typically smooth sailing until you hit the release moves necessary in L5. That's another "sink or swim" level in stunting that is not for everybody.

With that said, I've had girls come in and get a good working knowledge of backing xyz L3 stunt after a week when they were a side base last year. Not perfect, but at least understanding what I'm saying positionally and not putting me in fear for lives/limbs. So it really depends.

My thinking on this topic may seem simplistic, but I think Stunting and Tumbling falls in the same category as comparing the art of Singing - Stunting can be taught and with a little or a lot of practice a group can eventually perform the skill well. However, Tumbling can be taught and with little or a lot of practice a person may learn the skills taught. But tumbling requires a person to have talent to perform it well, but Stunting does not need talent, but the will and perseverance to work at it.

However, like singing, people can take vocal lessons but without talent will never sound like Jennifer Hudson or Adele but still be able to carry a tune. Just sayin'!

My thinking on this topic may seem simplistic, but I think Stunting and Tumbling falls in the same category as comparing the art of Singing - Stunting can be taught and with a little or a lot of practice a group can eventually perform the skill well. However, Tumbling can be taught and with little or a lot of practice a person may learn the skills taught. But tumbling requires a person to have talent to perform it well, but Stunting does not need talent, but the will and perseverance to work at it.

However, like singing, people can take vocal lessons but without talent will never sound like Jennifer Hudson or Adele but still be able to carry a tune. Just sayin'!
That's why you harmonize!

Observation: I'm primarily a L2 and 3 coach.

The BIGGEST jump in stunting difficulty comes somewhere between L1/2 and Level 3. That jump to more fully extended stunts is ROUGH for some girls. If you're going to struggle with stunting, that's usually where I see it start.

I've seen kids come in as L2 back spots and REALLY struggle to start backing the more difficult transitions.

Same with flyers. Girls will be L2 point flyer and get really frustrated with themselves because they're on L2 again because flying in extended single leg stunts vs. that shoulder level extension prep or lib at prep level height is a totally different animal.

However, I have found that once you get over the L3 hump, it's typically smooth sailing until you hit the release moves necessary in L5. That's another "sink or swim" level in stunting that is not for everybody.

With that said, I've had girls come in and get a good working knowledge of backing xyz L3 stunt after a week when they were a side base last year. Not perfect, but at least understanding what I'm saying positionally and not putting me in fear for lives/limbs. So it really depends.

I agree. I flew L3 before L2 but really didn't get the basics until I flew level 2 for one year. On my HS team I was able to fly single leg without any problem. My school doesn't do prep level stunts, ever. So when we teach new flyers we get basic preps down, and before transitioning to the drill, before going all the way up to extensions. Our flyers are able to pull harder transitions, but you can tell that they lack the proper control and technique, which makes them inconsistent. The bases however are solid. We usually catch on to a new skill stunting wise before the flyers really get to understand it. This was more first year basing the elite stunt, and I caught on pretty quickly to what I needed to do.

Latest posts

Back