All-Star Releasing Athletes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Well, that is a great question. On the USASF website you and Les Stella are listed as the Rules, Safety and Judging Cheer staff. Contact information for Cheer Rules is [email protected], but no name is listed. Regional Directors are listed as staff (I have sent emails in the past to the Director in the region I reside and never once received a response). There are several members of the Cheer Rules Committee so I would say they would be the ultimate ptb and they are listed here:

US All Star Federation: CHEER RULES COMMITTEE

I am not sure of your point however. Are you saying I should blame Jody, or Justin, or Victor, or you, or any of the other members? Honestly not trying to be sarcastic or difficult - it is a legitimate question.

In order to make a change happen you need to influence the people that can actually make it happen. Are any of those people following this conversation? Has anyone reached out to them directly? Does anyone know who they are by personal or committee name? Having a conversation here or any other social place is great for working through ideas but in most cases the ideas aren't taken to the people that can do anything with them.

In order to make a change happen you need to influence the people that can actually make it happen. Are any of those people following this conversation? Has anyone reached out to them directly? Does anyone know who they are by personal or committee name? Having a conversation here or any other social place is great for working through ideas but in most cases the ideas aren't taken to the people that can do anything with them.

How does the rules process work? I know there's voting, I think that maybe people can submit rule requests/ideas, etc, but I honestly don't know much about it. If someone put some kind of proposal together to make amendments to the release rule, would it be the type of thing that could be included in voting for the next rules cycle? Is it too late to do this?

I think the innate issue there is that it's not easy to 1) figure out who those key people are...that's not well publicized, 2) get them to respond (like @quitthedrama said...which may mean it went to the wrong person but that gets back to #1) or 3) get them to pay any attention to some of the suggestions, no matter how valid and/or rational they are.

That's especially true if you have great ideas but are "just a parent" and liable to be slapped with the immediate "crazy cheer mom" stereotype where industry folks will smile and wave, but not actually take anything you say seriously. Parents don't really have an advocate in this (nor do the cheerleaders themselves) who can make a credible and authentic case for an appeals board that people will actually listen to. Or if they do I'm not aware of it.

How does the rules process work? I know there's voting, I think that maybe people can submit rule requests/ideas, etc, but I honestly don't know much about it. If someone put some kind of proposal together to make amendments to the release rule, would it be the type of thing that could be included in voting for the next rules cycle? Is it too late to do this?

Ideas are submitted by members. They get reviewed and some get eliminated for various reasons, an example being proposing something for L2 that exceeds what's allowed in L3. I'm not sure what types of things get eliminated by other committees (I'm only on the Rules Committee). Some items are added directly to the voting slate while others are discussed at regional meetings to determine if they should be added to the slate.

The window for proposals for 2015-17 is closed. It closed either May 1 or June 1. I think it was originally May and extended to June.

I don't know if this type of item would follow that schedule or if it's a special item that could change anytime.

I think the innate issue there is that it's not easy to 1) figure out who those key people are...that's not well publicized, 2) get them to respond (like @quitthedrama said...which may mean it went to the wrong person but that gets back to #1) or 3) get them to pay any attention to some of the suggestions, no matter how valid and/or rational they are.

That's especially true if you have great ideas but are "just a parent" and liable to be slapped with the immediate "crazy cheer mom" stereotype where industry folks will smile and wave, but not actually take anything you say seriously. Parents don't really have an advocate in this (nor do the cheerleaders themselves) who can make a credible and authentic case for an appeals board that people will actually listen to. Or if they do I'm not aware of it.

THIS!! @Andre I agree 100% with your last post, but as I said - I have emailed multiple times and have been ignored. I have also been told as a parent I have no right to submit a proposal or even ask questions. So what are we parents - who finance this sport (or activity/hobby) - supposed to do?? Many other membership organizations allows open enrollment and each member has a voting right. Why is there not a parent representative on any of the USASF boards? Many of these parents are incredibly knowledgeable and could bring a lot to USASF, but the very clear impression for the last decade has been that USASF wants zero parent involvement. Even the Parent Action Committee seems futile based on what I have seen. If I am wrong, please correct me on how to go about being involved with USASF as a parent!

Quick word on the "just a parent" thought. I must have said this line a million times as I was getting involved with cheer and the USASF-PAC. In actuality, what I found out though is that if you reach out in a professional manner and show that you are willing to discuss in a reasonable manner then the USASF listens and will give you a voice. Act like a crazy cheer parent and they will treat you like a crazy cheer parent. I was actually given more opportunities by the USASF then I was able to actually commit to in the end.

Andre is trying his best to lead us to resolving this by encouraging us to handle this in a professional manner.

Quick word on the "just a parent" thought. I must have said this line a million times as I was getting involved with cheer and the USASF-PAC. In actuality, what I found out though is that if you reach out in a professional manner and show that you are willing to discuss in a reasonable manner then the USASF listens and will give you a voice. Act like a crazy cheer parent and they will treat you like a crazy cheer parent. I was actually given more opportunities by the USASF then I was able to actually commit to in the end.

Andre is trying his best to lead us to resolving this by encouraging us to handle this in a professional manner.
Was there something unprofessional about my response?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Oh no not implying that at all! I've just seen some emails that parents have sent to the USASF that were forwarded to me as a PAC member. They sounded completely insane and well...crazy.
Please tell me what the PAC has done? I am not trying to be critical - I have followed their facebook page and have seen very little activity for at least 2 years.

THIS!! @Andre I agree 100% with your last post, but as I said - I have emailed multiple times and have been ignored. I have also been told as a parent I have no right to submit a proposal or even ask questions. So what are we parents - who finance this sport (or activity/hobby) - supposed to do?? Many other membership organizations allows open enrollment and each member has a voting right. Why is there not a parent representative on any of the USASF boards? Many of these parents are incredibly knowledgeable and could bring a lot to USASF, but the very clear impression for the last decade has been that USASF wants zero parent involvement. Even the Parent Action Committee seems futile based on what I have seen. If I am wrong, please correct me on how to go about being involved with USASF as a parent!

USASF is a member organization that focuses on feedback from it's members. I'm sure you can find a way for your voice to be heard.

USASF is a member organization that focuses on feedback from it's members. I'm sure you can find a way for your voice to be heard.
Please give me specifics as to how. I can not be a member. I have been specific as to what I have done to try to get involved and be heard, so I would appreciate specific suggestions from you as to what can be done.

Please tell me what the PAC has done? I am not trying to be critical - I have followed their facebook page and have seen very little activity for at least 2 years.

Sorry had to take a soccer break! Go USA!

The PAC's primary focus is to communicate between the parents and the USASF. They read and listen to what parents are saying and forward that info to the USASF and likewise dispense information back out. I phased myself out over the last year as my daughter hasn't been competing for 3 years now. Scott Pierson and Fernando Molina are leading now and have quite a few conference calls and meetings scheduled with the USASF.

To piggyback on your other comment. If I had the time and inclination to change the rule then I would put together a proposal that specifically addressed what I'd like to see changed. I'd make sure this proposal took into account all views: gym, athlete, parent, EP, and USASF perspectives. I'd discuss and get sign-ons from several coaches at different programs. I'd forward the proposal to the USASF-PAC and get their blessing and at that point I'd start communicating with any USASF staff member that was willing to listen.

Sorry had to take a soccer break! Go USA!

The PAC's primary focus is to communicate between the parents and the USASF. They read and listen to what parents are saying and forward that info to the USASF and likewise dispense information back out. I phased myself out over the last year as my daughter hasn't been competing for 3 years now. Scott Pierson and Fernando Molina are leading now and have quite a few conference calls and meetings scheduled with the USASF.

To piggyback on your other comment. If I had the time and inclination to change the rule then I would put together a proposal that specifically addressed what I'd like to see changed. I'd make sure this proposal took into account all views: gym, athlete, parent, EP, and USASF perspectives. I'd discuss and get sign-ons from several coaches at different programs. I'd forward the proposal to the USASF-PAC and get their blessing and at that point I'd start communicating with any USASF staff member that was willing to listen.
Thank you. I will submit a proposal. I wouldn't expect to get any gym owner to sign off on a proposal but if anyone here would like to provide input please PM me.

Fierceboard - the land of catfishes and moles

@quitthedrama I wouldn't write off the assistance from gym owners. The majority of them really want to do the right thing. Maybe contact a few while you're putting things together and get some input. Pit falls, unintended consequences, etc. Think of gym owners that have a positive relationship with the USASF but have been proponents of moving the sport forward. I've found many that are more than willing to help even if it didn't benefit them. Good luck!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Back