All-Star Releasing Athletes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

@mollymags Because if they are asking for a release they have probably already checked out of their current team. It stinks for the gym being left, but it's a choice for the consumer to make. It's also probably better to have them gone instead of rubbing negativity onto the remaining athletes.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Do athletes stay on teams that they've requested a release from even if they don't get it? The cases I'm aware of usually ended with either the release, athlete changes gyms but doesn't compete at worlds, or athlete quits for the season.

PTBs have been mentioned a couple times. Anyone care to name them?

What are Ptb's? Drawing a complete blank if I'm supposed to know it.

The Fierce Board, where the NSA has nothing on the Mods

PTBs have been mentioned a couple times. Anyone care to name them?

People who have the power to change rules. I don't know their names. I don't even know if it's you - that's why I didn't tag you, because I feel like we often dump stuff on you and assume you are the great "changer of all things we hate." But *someone*, somewhere has the power to look at this and say, "Hm. Maybe we could add 2 or 3 sentences to make this release rule more fair, and perhaps not make it so that all the power is left to one, very emotionally and financially vested party."

People who have the power to change rules. I don't know their names. I don't even know if it's you - that's why I didn't tag you, because I feel like we often dump stuff on you and assume you are the great "changer of all things we hate." But *someone*, somewhere has the power to look at this and say, "Hm. Maybe we could add 2 or 3 sentences to make this release rule more fair, and perhaps not make it so that all the power is left to one, very emotionally and financially vested party."

This time I'm actually looking for names. I think people sometimes forget who is actually deciding to or not to make a change.

Does anyone not really watch the Smoed series anymore? Don't get me wrong, I love them, but I just haven't really wanted to watch them.
I do faithfully watch the series. I still find it interesting. Though the cheer aspect may become repetitive at times, I find learning more about the personalities of the athletes interesting. It's also interesting to see the impact and influence cheer has made in the athletes personal lives. All of which factors in to decisions that my daughter and myself must make regarding her cheer future. In that sense it's educational for us.

One thing you find out the longer you are in this industry: don't be surprised about anything - just because you haven't heard about it or don't think it is likely, does not mean it has not happened. What rivals do to one another in the battle for local supremacy if you will, often does not make this message board. The things I have heard this year alone makes me renew my claim I would never ever open a cheerleading gym. Too much backstabbing,m even amongst supposed friends.

While the rule is not perfect I feel it does help what I encountered when I first started teaching tumbling in cheer only facilities on 2004. Kids/parents would abandon their teams at the drop of a dime, even if they had a decent chance at getting to Worlds. There were even reports of changing teams at competitions - don't know if that was mere gossip or not, but those rumors were very strong way back then. The rule hinders some of that behavior. Of course those that want to find a way around it will. All the release does is give some of the leverage back into the hands of the gym owners where prior to the rule they had zero.

There should be an appeals board to deal with the extreme cases that are always presented as reasons against the rule. Some of the bias should be leveled out. But I don't want to go back to the days of cross country fly ins and constantly losing high level team members simply because one gym will give them a free ride and another won't either. Or because Gym A has a better chance of winning Worlds than Gym B so I will stay with Gym A and leave them high and dry in February when Gym B is ready to make it's hard push to Worlds.

Please note I have zero problems releasing an athlete if bills are paid. That I do not debate. But don't expect to ride on my train for free for years then bolt the gym with unpaid bills and promises of being paid that you never fulfilled.
I have no difficulty viewing this issue from both sides. I can appreciate the difficulty it poses to gyms if there is no release rule. And, I can also recognize the potential for abuse by the gym. I've seen the rule exploited by gyms and I've witnessed athletes taking advantage when no release rule exists. I don't dispute the need for ruling relative to this subject. I don't believe a perfect resolution exists. No matter what the rule, there will always be some exploitation albeit by gym or athlete. I'm in no way sanctioning gym hopping either. Personally I find that abhorrent. But, the way the rule is applied currently just begs abuse. All it takes is a vindictive individual or someone with a vendetta. I could recite many instances where the release rule has been used to unfairly punish an athlete. They have no recourse currently. In a number of instances it unjustly resulted in an abrupt and premature end to an athletes long cheer career.

In hockey the only reason a program cannot release a player is if the kid owes money. Once all financial obligations are met then a release must be granted. If one is not then the kid can go to a nysaha or USA hockey section rep for an inquiry. The sectional reps have a chain of command and can grant the release based on what they find

Ones perception is not always reality.
Again, it varies by state. . (There may be USA Hockey rules, but the individual state organizations can have rules on top of that).

In Illinois, the 2-club rule is pretty strong, and clubs do use it to keep their athletes. To my knowledge, there isn't a formal list of reasons that a player can or can't be released. It's not just about owing money.

But it is AHAI's decision to make about individual kids who appeal to get a choice back, not the individual clubs...which seems better.

It's my understanding that in some states, there are boundary rules - you play for the club in user district. Period, no exceptions. I don't know if that's still true, but it was in the past.

That's pretty interesting! What is the general feeling about this in the hockey world? Do people fight it? Make it work?
In Illinois, people complain a lot about the 2-choice rule. But I don't know that a lot of people even ask for a choice back. People just like to complain. ;-)

After reading this whole thread (I have no personal experience from either side), it seems obvious that there should be a 3rd party - not the gym - who makes the decision. I am surprised at how many suggestions have been thrown out, but that one hasn't gotten much attention.

This time I'm actually looking for names. I think people sometimes forget who is actually deciding to or not to make a change.
Well, that is a great question. On the USASF website you and Les Stella are listed as the Rules, Safety and Judging Cheer staff. Contact information for Cheer Rules is [email protected], but no name is listed. Regional Directors are listed as staff (I have sent emails in the past to the Director in the region I reside and never once received a response). There are several members of the Cheer Rules Committee so I would say they would be the ultimate ptb and they are listed here:

US All Star Federation: CHEER RULES COMMITTEE

I am not sure of your point however. Are you saying I should blame Jody, or Justin, or Victor, or you, or any of the other members? Honestly not trying to be sarcastic or difficult - it is a legitimate question.

Back