All-Star Rockstar Cheer founder Scott Foster died today by suicide.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

USA Cheer/USASF does not even bother to enforce the restriction. There was an individual on the banned list that competed at NCA College Nationals last year. It was ignored by both the college and Varsity when first reported, and it finally took enough people to say something. To the best of my knowledge the only action taken was to remove that college's name off the results list, delete the videos from Varsitytv, and not allow the individual to enter the partner stunt competition. @catlady to respond to some of your comments about why law enforcement wasn't called, this is a prime example of what many of us encounter. This person had already been arrested and convicted. He wasn't actively committing a crime, but he was not eligible to compete, coach or have any involvement yet Varsity/USA Cheer did nothing to prevent it.
Again, I do not know the rules of Varsity, but when I worked for May Corp, I was an executive and I was not allowed to approach a person that was banned, for legal reasons. We were allowed to call law enforcement, because they ARE committing a crime. They're trespassing if they're banned.

People need to understand anyone who is banned and still showing up is incredibly defiant, narcissistic, and just waiting for you to do or say the wrong thing. I, personally, would have disqualified the team, but I say that knowing as a once Corp executive, I would have had to present the situation to a legal team and do exactly what they said. I won't speak for Varsity, because I have no idea what their policies are, but these situations are not as simple as people make it out to be. Unlike a banned person from one of our stores, a banned athlete effects the whole team.

Law enforcement? This isn't about someone cheating in cheerleading, this is about a person in power allegedly committing heinous crimes against children and other adults. Everyone should report to law enforcement first and after the report is written and filed, send it to the governing body, school board, CEO, board governance, etc.

In USASF's Section 2.8 a where it says to report to them, and "when appropriate," to law enforcement... It is the law in many states to report any actual or suspected Sexual Misconduct or Child Abuse to law enforcement. USASF Code of Conduct and Compliance

Mandatory Reporting Laws in the US

Many states have mandatory reporting laws requiring certain types of people to report crimes against children. These "mandatory reporters" generally include parents, teachers, school administrators, clergy, medical professionals, therapists, social workers, and others. In some states, however, anyone who believes child abuse is taking place must report it.
The athletes are not telling their parents, let alone reporting it to law enforcement. In the Nassar case of USA gymnastics and Michigan State University many reports were filed and swept under the rug by university officials (mandated reporters), USAG coaches, and the FBI. I believe there were many twitter accounts that hinted at the drinking and partying with coaches at Rockstar and it may have come up on this forum once or twice as well. I had heard the rumors and innuendo back in 2015 and 2016.
I share your outrage.

The athletes are not telling their parents, let alone reporting it to law enforcement. In the Nassar case of USA gymnastics and Michigan State University many reports were filed and swept under the rug by university officials (mandated reporters), USAG coaches, and the FBI. I believe there were many twitter accounts that hinted at the drinking and partying with coaches at Rockstar and it may have come up on this forum once or twice as well. I had heard the rumors and innuendo back in 2015 and 2016.
I share your outrage.
yep if that Michigan coach did something she would of saved many many gymnasts from being abused by him!!!!!

This has become so complex.

This article includes quotes from a former Varsity executive and details about Varsity's antitrust lawsuits (from Sportico)

Very sad that the words “ constant supply” of underage athletes for a man to have access to…hope things change drastically and everyone who ignored or chose to do nothing is charged!

I agree. Here's my take away:
Very sad that the words “ constant supply” of underage athletes for a man to have access to…hope things change drastically and everyone who ignored or chose to do nothing is charged!
I agree. Here's my take-away:

1. Anywhere where there are vulnerable children, especially girls, although not exclusively, there will be predators. Anywhere. Church. School. Camp. Not just cheer.

2. Hiring former athletes as coaches can work. Many school teachers are recent grads. The difference is that if a 22 year old teacher sleeps with their 18 year old student, they will be fired - full stop. And reported to authorities. Many programs lack this type of strict code of conduct and Varsity/USASF should be leaders at enforcing that code. These are modern times, databases/AI are a thing, so they can monitor who is in warm-ups and who gets a badge using barcodes and a photo ID. The computer will kick out people who are barred. Just like in the airport.

3. Mandatory reporting to law enforcement of allegations. Let them investigate. It's what they do.

4. This is probably more widespread across programs than we realize.

5. We have to care more about children. By children I mean under 21. We have to stop calling a 17yo flirting with a 25yo coach "dating". It's not. It's inappropriate. The coach is in a position of power over the athlete. We have to care more about girls and believe in their innocence. We have to believe that lgbtq boys can be innocent victims of SA too and look out for them.

6. We need to be more vigilant and ask questions. It will mean we may be perceived as "annoying" or "overbearing". My now adult CP brought this story to my attention. She recalled how I wouldn't let her roam the halls at the hotels with her friends - even as a teen - and how I would say; " Nope. It's time for bed. You have to compete tomorrow." She hated it back then. But now she understands.

I hope this all leads to stricter guidelines and an investment in technology to help enforce them. The kids deserve that.

I agree. Here's my take away:

I agree. Here's my take-away:

1. Anywhere where there are vulnerable children, especially girls, although not exclusively, there will be predators. Anywhere. Church. School. Camp. Not just cheer.

2. Hiring former athletes as coaches can work. Many school teachers are recent grads. The difference is that if a 22 year old teacher sleeps with their 18 year old student, they will be fired - full stop. And reported to authorities. Many programs lack this type of strict code of conduct and Varsity/USASF should be leaders at enforcing that code. These are modern times, databases/AI are a thing, so they can monitor who is in warm-ups and who gets a badge using barcodes and a photo ID. The computer will kick out people who are barred. Just like in the airport.

3. Mandatory reporting to law enforcement of allegations. Let them investigate. It's what they do.

4. This is probably more widespread across programs than we realize.

5. We have to care more about children. By children I mean under 21. We have to stop calling a 17yo flirting with a 25yo coach "dating". It's not. It's inappropriate. The coach is in a position of power over the athlete. We have to care more about girls and believe in their innocence. We have to believe that lgbtq boys can be innocent victims of SA too and look out for them.

6. We need to be more vigilant and ask questions. It will mean we may be perceived as "annoying" or "overbearing". My now adult CP brought this story to my attention. She recalled how I wouldn't let her roam the halls at the hotels with her friends - even as a teen - and how I would say; " Nope. It's time for bed. You have to compete tomorrow." She hated it back then. But now she understands.

I hope this all leads to stricter guidelines and an investment in technology to help enforce them. The kids deserve that.
Agree with all of this. Also want to add that the age group is still a problem. Is there an argument that open should be 18+? Is there any reason to have 14 and 24 year olds on the same team? How about 6 and 16 year olds? There is such a wide span of maturity and it feels that creates opportunities for inappropriate behavior.

Agree with all of this. Also want to add that the age group is still a problem. Is there an argument that open should be 18+? Is there any reason to have 14 and 24 year olds on the same team? How about 6 and 16 year olds? There is such a wide span of maturity and it feels that creates opportunities for inappropriate behavior.
Junior age range is crazy!!!

These are modern times, databases/AI are a thing, so they can monitor who is in warm-ups and who gets a badge using barcodes and a photo ID. The computer will kick out people who are barred. Just like in the airport.
I don't know how warm ups at comps work in the US as I've never been to a competition outside of the UK (yet!) but even in this most recent season I've found warm-ups to be way too relaxed when it comes to who is allowed access to the room. Mostly so long as you look like a coach or athlete then you won't be challenged when you walk in. Most warmup staff don't actively check for coaches wristbands. Only one competition this year was the exception. Each coach had to have a profile set up with all your personal info and your coaching qualifications and background check had to be uploaded to your profile. Once that was all verified by the EP it would generate a QR code and you had to show that QR code to be "scanned" in to warm up. It then pings up your profile on the staff system and they can verify that the person using the code matches the profile pic uploaded to the account. You could also use this system to flag up anyone who is suspended or being monitored etc.

It all comes back to $$. Gyms claim they can't field teams if the age range narrows (yet most gyms have 5+ teams) so of course U$A$F follows the $ when making the rules. I remember the days when the International divisions had a minimum age of 16 and 18 and were made up of mostly college students/adults. It was fun, limited in practice/competition/travel and therefor affordable for that demographic. Now it's a division to make sure everyone who can go to Worlds does, and most of these teams it costs the same tuition and go to the same competitions as the senior teams, which of course means more $$ to the gyms and EPs.

I don't know how warm ups at comps work in the US as I've never been to a competition outside of the UK (yet!) but even in this most recent season I've found warm-ups to be way too relaxed when it comes to who is allowed access to the room. Mostly so long as you look like a coach or athlete then you won't be challenged when you walk in. Most warmup staff don't actively check for coaches wristbands. Only one competition this year was the exception. Each coach had to have a profile set up with all your personal info and your coaching qualifications and background check had to be uploaded to your profile. Once that was all verified by the EP it would generate a QR code and you had to show that QR code to be "scanned" in to warm up. It then pings up your profile on the staff system and they can verify that the person using the code matches the profile pic uploaded to the account. You could also use this system to flag up anyone who is suspended or being monitored etc.
In 2020, I literally went backstage at Cheersport to take a shortcut and I did not have a coach lanyard or wristband (my program wasn’t even attending). I just walked through with a friend who was filling in on her gym’s open team so she was in uniform but I had on black jeans and a regular shirt, not even a gym shirt for anyone to connect I am also with her team somehow. If that helps paint a picture of what warm ups in the US are/were like.

Also want to add that the age group is still a problem. Is there an argument that open should be 18+? Is there any reason to have 14 and 24 year olds on the same team? How about 6 and 16 year olds? There is such a wide span of maturity and it feels that creates opportunities for inappropriate behavior.
This response is to @CLynn it won’t let let me fix the quote box.

The Jr age range is insane (babies with high schoolers), but the Open age range makes a lot of sense. The idea is to keep Open similar to Senior age range, just with a bit more flexibility so that kids who age out of Sr don’t have to quit the sport.

Most gyms, even the Mega ones, would find it virtually impossible to field good teams that are only 18+, especially given the level of stunting difficulty nowadays that favors tinier flyers. Only the rare Mega gym with a tie to university cheer (like GymTyme and University of Louisville) has 18+ athletes (especially flyers) growing on trees. Everyone else’s Open teams have a much broader age range, similar to Sr age range (Sr age can span from just out of elementary school to as old as college sophomore).

Back in the day, it didn’t matter if your 18+ Open/International team wasn’t competitive and mostly just for fun. You could go to a few local competitions and not take it seriously. But local comps died years ago and now every comp is on a serious track towards Worlds/end of season event. When the International division was first introduced at Worlds many years ago, it was more of a joke, but now it’s obviously as serious as any other division and it takes a lot to be competitive. And again, gyms can’t form competitive 18+ teams. Even 16+ might not be feasible (and wouldn’t be much different than 14+ anyway). Sometimes it’s plain safer to have a more prepubescent flyer.

So what do you do with the many kids who still want to cheer competitively and take it seriously and want to go to Worlds once they hit 18? This is why there are so many Open teams, as well as many “super senioring” 18 year olds-turning 19 on Senior teams. Allowing athletes over 18 to cheer makes Varsity/USASF more money of course, but it also makes cheer more of a “real” sport instead of being just a kiddie youth activity that age discriminates.

Sexual abuse almost always happens in secret, not at practice. Creeps who want to prey on children have easy access to them whether they’re on the same team or not, especially with the internet. Predators are more likely to prey on children when they have power and authority over them (ie. coaches).

Parents need to be parents and monitor where their kids go after practice and who they have relationships with online, etc. Varsity has issues, but they can’t parent everyone’s kids. If parents let their kids live with their coaches, or send them away to live with a host family, or let them have drinks with adults at competitions and parties, or let them date 21 year olds or don’t try to monitor their private online convos, that’s on them.

Last edited:
It all comes back to $$. Gyms claim they can't field teams if the age range narrows (yet most gyms have 5+ teams) so of course U$A$F follows the $ when making the rules. I remember the days when the International divisions had a minimum age of 16 and 18 and were made up of mostly college students/adults. It was fun, limited in practice/competition/travel and therefor affordable for that demographic. Now it's a division to make sure everyone who can go to Worlds does, and most of these teams it costs the same tuition and go to the same competitions as the senior teams, which of course means more $$ to the gyms and EPs.
A 13 year old little girl has no business being on a team with men. Period. I know it's about the money, I guess they don't care about lawsuits though.

Back