Roundoff Handspring Tucks?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 2, 2010
So I have A LOT of power in my tumbling. The rebound I can get from a roundoff backhandspring is so high and I have the potential to have a really high tuck. However, I'm kind of scared of my power and I don't use my rebound to tuck in my roundoff handspring tuck even when I'm getting spotted.
Anyone who is/was in the same boat as me care to share some advice? Thanks!

whenever i get scared about throwing ro bhs tucks i have someone spot me from the bhs and the tuck, not just the tuck so it gets me used to it without being scared, maybe try that?

hiii, i have the saaame problem. youve just gotta go. your power is your friend. theres nothing to be afraid of, even if your tuck is jank, if youre that high, youre not going to land on anything but your knees or feet. yknooww. Ive had a mental block for yeaaars cause of that.

try just doing a power hurdle round off instead of a 2 step round off. It's not as scary- trust me.

i got mine by doing a round off bhs then a super high bhs , it seems like ur doing a round off double bhs when ur throwing the last one only u can feel how high u r so it shows u tht u cn do the tuck

i got mine by doing a round off bhs then a super high bhs , it seems like ur doing a round off double bhs when ur throwing the last one only u can feel how high u r so it shows u tht u cn do the tuck

i really wouldn't advise doing this (glad it worked for you though madi<3cheer!) only because you could really hurt your wrists doing a "super high bhs" & teach your body wrong muscle memory since bhs go back & tucks go up. i had the same power thing i wouldn't use all of it bc i was afraid (i'm learning power control so it's a lot better now) so i would say do r/o bhs rebounds really get a high rebound by pushing off your toes & using your shoulders to pull up. it doesn't take much to rotate so when you're getting spotted focus on your rebound & pull! good luck!

i really wouldn't advise doing this (glad it worked for you though madi<3cheer!) only because you could really hurt your wrists doing a "super high bhs" & teach your body wrong muscle memory since bhs go back & tucks go up. i had the same power thing i wouldn't use all of it bc i was afraid (i'm learning power control so it's a lot better now) so i would say do r/o bhs rebounds really get a high rebound by pushing off your toes & using your shoulders to pull up. it doesn't take much to rotate so when you're getting spotted focus on your rebound & pull! good luck!
by super high bhs i meant basicly like a tuck jus hands down at the very last second

omg I have the same problem. I set really high and I have so much power when I'm warming up, but then when I add the tuck I get scared and I don't set at all :eek: Is there any way to like...train yourself not to be afraid?

omg I have the same problem. I set really high and I have so much power when I'm warming up, but then when I add the tuck I get scared and I don't set at all :eek: Is there any way to like...train yourself not to be afraid?
same exact problem i have. haven't exactly figured out how to fix it yet though! what i find has been helping me lately is spotting something on the wall and looking at it in your rebound. with the power i have i actually have to wait like a second or 2 to actually set after my backhandspring, then pull.

same exact problem i have. haven't exactly figured out how to fix it yet though! what i find has been helping me lately is spotting something on the wall and looking at it in your rebound. with the power i have i actually have to wait like a second or 2 to actually set after my backhandspring, then pull.

yeah some people have told me to spot something, but that never works for me =/ something else I've heard that I haven't worked on in awhile is to do roundoff bhs on the tumble track so you set super high and you learn not to be so scared. idk though...I just want to find something that works! I don't even know why Im' so scared. Even if I have a really awful tuck, I always land on my knees and I've never gotten hurt, so idk where this mental block came from!

yeah some people have told me to spot something, but that never works for me =/ something else I've heard that I haven't worked on in awhile is to do roundoff bhs on the tumble track so you set super high and you learn not to be so scared. idk though...I just want to find something that works! I don't even know why Im' so scared. Even if I have a really awful tuck, I always land on my knees and I've never gotten hurt, so idk where this mental block came from!
ahh the tumble track has never been my friend...but I really should use it to just get the feeling of being up that high without fear of breaking my neck.
I've been working on these for 3 years, and I have no idea what kind of "block" this came from. So frustrating!

ahh the tumble track has never been my friend...but I really should use it to just get the feeling of being up that high without fear of breaking my neck.
I've been working on these for 3 years, and I have no idea what kind of "block" this came from. So frustrating!

I'm right there with you! I had it last season too, then I just lost it! I don't really like the tumble track either tbh. At the first gym I was at I learned all my skills just on the floor so the tumble track still makes me a bit uneasy, but I know it can help so I'm trying to just suck it up and get used to it, haha!

I'm right there with you! I had it last season too, then I just lost it! I don't really like the tumble track either tbh. At the first gym I was at I learned all my skills just on the floor so the tumble track still makes me a bit uneasy, but I know it can help so I'm trying to just suck it up and get used to it, haha!
Let me know how your tumbling is going and if you find any other ways to get over the fear!!:)

Back