All-Star Rumor Control-senior Age Change

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I don't know if this is a change from previous season, but right now USASF under Worlds 2012 has listed for International Open 5 the minimum age of 14. As I said before I don't know if this is a change. http://usasf.net/worlds/2012/
thats not a change, international is 14+ right now

I'm not aware of a change to the age grid from what has already been posted (but please don't quote me), but it's not a big leap to see the possible confusion that someone might have in the minimum age of the senior worlds divisions v. the international divisions.

I think that's the likely explanation.

Why is increasing to 14 a good thing?

because 14 is an appropriate age to start being around 18 year old teenagers at the same time, it's like going to high school, if you throw a bunch of 12 year olds into a high school the day they turn 12, things are going to turn ugly and quick, they will fail the classes, not make many friends, and be disliked for their maturity by many, teams are no different, and that is the best example i can give you. Just because you are in honors classes in the 6th grade, doesn't mean you are ready to graduate high school just yet. Also, how fair is it for a team of high schoolers to compete against a team with high school bases, and 6th grade flyers? Not very.

Im sure there are a FEW exceptions, but overall the change to 14 would be a change for the better.

its a good and bad thing! maybe their should be one divsion were its 12 and under....youll have only 4 years to compepte at worlds..if you dont go open?

They eliminated Juniors at Worlds for a reason. Maybe age wasn't the reason, idk, but that's what I assumed.

Don't know about anyone else's child, but for mine, #1, there's a level of pressure at the most important cheerleading event in the world that is worse than any other type of pressure and a child who is learning social skills and is right in the middle of massive life changes may not have learned how to properly compartmentalize their emotions. #2, I still have to roll her hair for comp and until she can do it on her own, she doesn't need to stay with her teammates and not me. #3, while her teammates may decide to do certain things on their off-time, as a 12-year-old, she doesn't need to see those things.
And, yes, it would suck if their was an age change just when she's eligible, but I will pull a Patty Ann and sleep great after her dream is crushed. It's a great idea for lots of reasons.

because 14 is an appropriate age to start being around 18 year old teenagers at the same time, it's like going to high school, if you throw a bunch of 12 year olds into a high school the day they turn 12, things are going to turn ugly and quick, they will fail the classes, not make many friends, and be disliked for their maturity by many, teams are no different, and that is the best example i can give you. Just because you are in honors classes in the 6th grade, doesn't mean you are ready to graduate high school just yet. Also, how fair is it for a team of high schoolers to compete against a team with high school bases, and 6th grade flyers? Not very.

Im sure there are a FEW exceptions, but overall the change to 14 would be a change for the better.

But they are not going to thrown into high school at 12 unless they are educationally strong, correct??? If I am not mistaken, you have to go through 9th - 12 th grade before you graduate, unless you are a superstar/brainiac, right? How are you jumping from 6th grade to graduation. As for cheer, only 12 yr olds that belong should be on Sr. Teams. If they have the skills they should be denied to allow a 14+ yr old with lesser skills be on the team?

I was 12 and in 8th grade..late birthday? so not all 12 years are in 6th grade. i know a girl who is 11 and in 8th grade.

it really depends on the state...i turned 12 during sixth grade living in PA, but had i been in maryland I would have been in 7th...it varies. but regardless of grade...a six year age gap is still a little hard to accommodate.

They eliminated Juniors at Worlds for a reason. Maybe age wasn't the reason, idk, but that's what I assumed.

Don't know about anyone else's child, but for mine, #1, there's a level of pressure at the most important cheerleading event in the world that is worse than any other type of pressure and a child who is learning social skills and is right in the middle of massive life changes may not have learned how to properly compartmentalize their emotions. #2, I still have to roll her hair for comp and until she can do it on her own, she doesn't need to stay with her teammates and not me. #3, while her teammates may decide to do certain things on their off-time, as a 12-year-old, she doesn't need to see those things.
And, yes, it would suck if their was an age change just when she's eligible, but I will pull a Patty Ann and sleep great after her dream is crushed. It's a great idea for lots of reasons.
Crush her dream and light their little stuffed animal they bring on FIRE!

Mine was 12 on a senior team and I had to hold her out of some team bonding activities because they were inappropriate for her age. It was hard on her and she didn't feel a part of the team. She was just "the flyer", not a teammate. I wish it was at least 13 as of 8/31, as most will turn 14 during the season and at least keeps them inside 4 years of each other.

But they are not going to thrown into high school at 12 unless they are educationally strong, correct??? If I am not mistaken, you have to go through 9th - 12 th grade before you graduate, unless you are a superstar/brainiac, right? How are you jumping from 6th grade to graduation. As for cheer, only 12 yr olds that belong should be on Sr. Teams. If they have the skills they should be denied to allow a 14+ yr old with lesser skills be on the team?

because, not every coach out there plays by this, a lot of coaches out there play like this "well we have susie who turns 12 by try outs, so shes going on my senior 5 team so i can teach susie to tick tock a thousand times with her 18 year old bases"
trust me, there is nothing wrong with waiting 2 more years to be on a team full of high school kids.
and to testify to your argument, how many kids are "educationally strong" and can be thrown into high school at the age of 12? and let's not even start with peers.
I mean how badly would you want your 12 year old daugher to be hanging out with 18 year olds that want to go to parties on the weekend? And btw it doesnt just stop on the weekend, they talk about all kinds of stuff like this at practice to.
It's not just based on skill, its a maturity thing as well.

Crush her dream and light their little stuffed animal they bring on FIRE!

Mine was 12 on a senior team and I had to hold her out of some team bonding activities because they were inappropriate for her age. It was hard on her and she didn't feel a part of the team. She was just "the flyer", not a teammate. I wish it was at least 13 as of 8/31, as most will turn 14 during the season and at least keeps them inside 4 years of each other.

thank you for proving my point, its a maturity thing, not a skill level thing. :) wish your daughter all the best in her flying.

School does not soley serve an academic purpose just as cheer doesn't serve solely an athletic purpose.

Many who complete high school early because they're academically gifted are socially inept.

Why is the age requirement 14 for the IO5 and IOC5 teams but 12 for all the senior level 5 divisions? I don't get why there's a difference if they're both level 5. Honest question..

Why is the age requirement 14 for the IO5 and IOC5 teams but 12 for all the senior level 5 divisions? I don't get why there's a difference if they're both level 5. Honest question..

I imagine because it's age 14 and up, right? There's no max age for Int'l, I don't think. Could be wrong.

open doesn't have a max age...can you image a 30 year old basing a 12 year old. or even practicing? i think 14 is still too young...i like the 17 year old requirement for i6.

Back