OT Should I Keep Dancing?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Aug 30, 2013
I wanted to have someone else's opinion on this. So I turned to my fellow Fierceboarders to help me.

I've been doing Ballet for nine weeks now. At first, I did Jazz. But since my classmates were at a higher level than me (they had technique training), my old Jazz teacher told me that Ballet would be great for me.

There are only two people in my Ballet class. Me and this 24 year old girl. So you could imagine how much attention we both get. In fact, some people would thrive at the idea of only having one other person in their Ballet class. Here's where my problem comes in.

I've been wanting to do cheer since I was 12. I was supposed to start cheering for my middle school's cheer team (they're a competitive cheer team) when I was 12. But that year they were going to fly to Australia, which jacked up the fees by a couple thousand dollars. Here's where it gets really complicated. I'm from the U.S, but I've been living in New Zealand for 7 years now. My family is planning to move back to the U.S, and with immigration and stuff, it's quite expensive. So I couldn't cheer. In fact, I still can't cheer now and I'm 14. So I decided to take up dance until I could cheer.

My Ballet teacher was away for 3 weeks, so we had a substitute dance teacher. She was pretty easy on us, which was how I liked it and wanted dance to be. I don't really want to take dance seriously, because I want to do cheer. So after 3 weeks, my ballet teacher comes back. My fellow classmate isn't there. So it was basically a private ballet lesson. My ballet teacher pushes me to do better because she says that I have great turn outs and a great line. I usually overthink everything in ballet and it's not my dance teacher who's making me overthink, it's me! She asked me why do I think that I overthink things in ballet, and I replied and said that I know I could do better. But what I didn't tell her was that I don't really have the drive to do dance. At my first cheer lesson, I remembered I smiled throughout everything, even through conditioning, and I was so excited to be there and I couldn't wait to go to my next lesson. I don't act like this through dance, which makes me question whether I should even be doing it.

What do you think I should do? Sorry for the long life story, haha.

ETA: I've made a decision, but I want other people's opinion on my situation.

Last edited:
If you are unwilling to commit and take it seriously, ballet class in not the place for you. My CP has danced for 7 years and cheered for 3 and IMO if cheer is the ultimate goal, you would be MUCH better off in a hop hop class. You will be learning things that are more geared toward cheer.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

If you are unwilling to commit and take it seriously, ballet class in not the place for you. My CP has danced for 7 years and cheered for 3 and IMO if cheer is the ultimate goal, you would be MUCH better off in a hop hop class. You will be learning things that are more geared toward cheer.

I will look into hip hop classes as my school's hip hop dance troupe are going to hold hip hop classes for beginners. I've done hip hop before and I wasn't that bad at it, lol. Thank you so much for your opinion :)

I think ballet is either something you love or something you don't. It's hard to be in between. And your teacher is only trying to push you and question you because that's her job. If you've already paid id finish or see if it can go towards a different class.

I've done ballet when I was 14 and I loved it but I wouldn't be able to do both all star cheer and ballet. So, after now "retiring" I'm back in ballet and hoping to go en pointe within 2 years.

I think ballet is either something you love or something you don't. It's hard to be in between. And your teacher is only trying to push you and question you because that's her job. If you've already paid id finish or see if it can go towards a different class.

I've done ballet when I was 14 and I loved it but I wouldn't be able to do both all star cheer and ballet. So, after now "retiring" I'm back in ballet and hoping to go en pointe within 2 years.

I'm in between at the moment. And that's another thing, when I do start cheer, I won't be able to do both. Unless I decide to take ballet classes in the summer, which I doubt I will. It's the 'end of term' (aka, end of semester) here in New Zealand, so I have 3 weeks (starting from next week) to decide whether or not to take ballet. Right now, I'm leaning towards not returning.

I wish you luck in your journey to go en pointe :)

I'm in between at the moment. And that's another thing, when I do start cheer, I won't be able to do both. Unless I decide to take ballet classes in the summer, which I doubt I will. It's the 'end of term' (aka, end of semester) here in New Zealand, so I have 3 weeks (starting from next week) to decide whether or not to take ballet. Right now, I'm leaning towards not returning.

I wish you luck in your journey to go en pointe :)

Thanks :) I'd say if you're really questioning it than just don't go back. I did the same thing all year with the open team I was on. I didn't enjoy myself as much and decided it was best for me to not continue for this season, which was hard because I'm also a coach.

If it's something that doesn't seen fun, rewarding, or bring a smile to your face at the end of your class then usually it's time to move on.

Thanks :) I'd say if you're really questioning it than just don't go back. I did the same thing all year with the open team I was on. I didn't enjoy myself as much and decided it was best for me to not continue for this season, which was hard because I'm also a coach.

If it's something that doesn't seen fun, rewarding, or bring a smile to your face at the end of your class then usually it's time to move on.

You're welcome :) I feel sort of bad, because my ballet teacher told me that people often quit ballet quite prematurely due to them finding it 'too hard' or not trying hard enough. I'm afraid that if I don't show up next term, then she would think that I quit for that very reason. I honestly find ballet hard, but that's not a good enough reason for me to quit. I'm basically in your old situation; I'm not enjoying myself as much as I thought I would!

So unfortunately, I think it's time for me to move on. It's sort of sad that I'm moving on so soon, but I can come back if I miss it too much.

Back