All-Star Showcases

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I love the conversation back and forth regarding coach's styles in this thread and insight provided to readers.

I just wanted to add that with such emphasis on progression for CEA Kernersville and intense focus on level 4&5 athletes, their tumbling coach ONLY works with level 5 athletes. All tumbling coaches that were willing to work with lower level athletes have left and many went to Raleigh. This has left a gap in progression for some athletes since not all gain a level a year.
Wow. So CEA Kern has ONE tumbling coach? I feel like with such a homegrown population of level 5&6 talent, they’d have tumbling coaches (and good ones at that) at the lower level. I’ve never heard of a gym who doesn’t have tumbling coaches for all the levels, whether it be three coaches who do levels 1-6(old 5 in this specific example I’m thinking of)or different coaches to teach tumbling at each level. Crazy. But I guess if you can teach your kids to flip quickly, and you can teach them to twist quickly, the basics don’t need to be there for some. Not CEA specific, but I find when athletes skip the lower level tumbling progressions, they don’t build the specific muscles needed for clean and pretty tumbling; however, I am partial to pretty tumbling, and some gyms/coaches/athletes could care less.

CHEER ATHLETICS has showcase videos posted online.

Question - what was the rationale re: stop and start with one min breaks between sections (ex: elite and tumbling, pyramid and dance?)

I know it's COVID and everyone has dealt with closures, reopenings, quarantines, and late starts this year.

I'm just happy to see routines happening!

CHEER ATHLETICS has showcase videos posted online.

Question - what was the rationale re: stop and start with one min breaks between sections (ex: elite and tumbling, pyramid and dance?)

I know it's COVID and everyone has dealt with closures, reopenings, quarantines, and late starts this year.

I'm just happy to see routines happening!

My guess is the athletes aren't conditioned enough/havent gone full out enough to showcase a full routine safely or cleanly.

I only watched panthers but they aren't throwing full tumbling either so I'm leaning towards that.

I know it's normal for everyone to be different degrees of "comp ready" by the time their showcase comes.

But just from the first few showcases I've seen - you can tell that COVID has affected every gym's ability to prep differently.

Your level of comp ready this year varies DRASTICALLY depending on whether you were able to practice, kids being sick, when you were allowed to practice, if you had to shut down at any point, if you had kids quarantining, etc.

Example: You have some gyms that are running a typical full out showcase no problem and have been able to practice since June without cases, quarantines, outbreaks, etc. Then you have others who maybe have been impacted to the point that they haven't gone full out yet due to illness, etc.

I wonder what these first few comps are going to look like? And also, how fair is it to say, have a gym from a state that (example) wasn't even able to stunt til July competing for bids against a gym that has been stunting consistently with minimal restrictions since June (because their state government has has had different rules?)

There's no real answer to those questions but this is season is going to be interesting for sure.

Last edited:
I know it's normal for everyone to be different levels of "comp ready" by the time their showcase comes.

But just from the first few showcases I've seen - you can tell that COVID has affected every gym's ability to prep differently.

Your level of comp ready this year varies DRASTICALLY depending on whether you were able to practice, kids being sick, when you were allowed to practice, if you had to shut down at any point, if you had kids quarantining, etc.

Example: You have some gyms that are running a typical full out showcase no problem and have been able to practice since June without cases, quarantines, outbreaks, etc. Then you have others who maybe have been impacted to the point that they haven't gone full out yet due to illness, etc.

I wonder what these first few comps are going to look like? And also, how fair is it to say, have a gym from a state that (example) wasn't even able to stunt til July competing for bids against a gym that has been stunting consistently with minimal restrictions since June (because their state government has has had different rules?)

There's no real answer to those questions but this is season is going to be interesting for sure.

It's happening within gyms too. Some teams have had 100% attendance, others haven't had a full team practice yet due to Covid restrictions. Some of our teams are continuing almost like a regular season and making great progress, whereas others have always had a handful of athletes sick (even colds), close contacts and having to isolate, etc., and are so far behind this season. It's just the way it's going to be this year I think. And I think the teams that are going to do well are going to be the ones lucky enough to have been least affected by Covid

It's happening within gyms too. Some teams have had 100% attendance, others haven't had a full team practice yet due to Covid restrictions. Some of our teams are continuing almost like a regular season and making great progress, whereas others have always had a handful of athletes sick (even colds), close contacts and having to isolate, etc., and are so far behind this season. It's just the way it's going to be this year I think. And I think the teams that are going to do well are going to be the ones lucky enough to have been least affected by Covid
This 100%! CP’s team just got their choreography 8 days ago, other teams at her gym have had theirs since late August but they had to reschedule twice due to outside events. They certainly haven’t done a full out yet. I just have to continually tell myself she’s learning new skills and at least she can be in the gym doing what she loves, but yeah I don’t know when they’ll be “comp ready”(though our comps may be all virtual at this point)

I know it's normal for everyone to be different degrees of "comp ready" by the time their showcase comes.

YUUUP.

Comp season should be interesting.

Our senior 2 team has a lot of 1st time Allstar cheerleaders who are in high school. They are all quarantined due to possible exposure for 2 weeks.
our youth 1 has siblings of the high schoolers also quarantined. We haven’t had full practices in weeks. But thankfully no one has actually tested positive.

So some of y'all said your teams (or kid's teams) aren't really comp ready yet because COVID.

QUESTIONS:

1. When is your first comp?

2. Are coaches and owners changing your schedule because you aren't ready? Is that plan still to compete at your first comp as normal?

If 1st comp is say, December 1st and SprinkleCats hit zero at showcase, but ConfettiCats and BalloonCats haven't gone full out and have been quarantined for 4 of the last 8-9 practices, at what point do re-evaluate who is going?

First comps are never expected to go smoothly even when you HAVE time to prepare. But I feel like it's asking a lot for folks to pay comp fees and travel if you KNOW their kid's team is not ready.

So some of y'all said your teams (or kid's teams) aren't really comp ready yet because COVID.

QUESTIONS:

2. Are coaches and owners changing your schedule because you aren't ready? Is that plan still to compete at your first comp as normal?

If 1st comp is say, December 1st and SprinkleCats hit zero at showcase, but ConfettiCats and BalloonCats haven't gone full out and have been quarantined for 4 of the last 8-9 practices, at what point do re-evaluate who is going?

First comps are never expected to go smoothly even when you HAVE time to prepare. But I feel like it's asking a lot for folks to pay comp fees and travel if you KNOW their kid's team is not ready.
traveling to a comp wont happen for a while but all teams except Worlds are doing a virtual one on Dec 5th and all teams are doing live virtual Jan 16th weekend....

QUESTIONS:

our first comp was supposed to be a virtual one this weekend, but because many teams weren't ready and one of our worlds teams had to be quarantined because somebody got covid, we pulled out. now our first one is one december 6th and it is another virtual. i'm happy we have more time to really prepare and start hitting now, but a little disappointed that this is probably a forecast for the season.

Our 1st Comp is 12/5. due to state regulations no interstate sports is allowed so we are only
Competing against teams from our state.
comp drop off only- no spectators. Crossovers have to leave between teams. We have been told to expect a VERY long day.
1 of my CP’s teams is ready. The 2nd hasn’t yet hit a full-out. Lots of Issues due to missed practices because of possible exposure. Thankfully none resulted in positive cases.

Back