High School Single-based Stunt Advice

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 27, 2014
To maximize scoresheets for an upcoming competition, my squad has been working on incorporating single-based stunting. We've had some success with a simpler walk-in load to prep level, but have not been able to push it to extension or any other variations.

Any general tips or grips/loads you've found helpful for these? Thank you in advance for any help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With single base stunts that are shaky we have our secondary base stay on it. They do the same grip as if it was a normal full. One season we had our secondaries put up the girl, walk away and then come back for the dismount. As long as the main base is completely under your flyer it is still technically a one man (at least according to UCA).

Also, as a backspot, I find it's easier to go to extensions in single base stunts if I grab both of the flyers ankles and drive them up instead of doing a lib grip (butt and ankle). To me, it gives the stunt more control and it helps to keep the flyer's free foot in the correct spot in order for the main base to catch it. This grip does not work for preps.

"lots of legs"

I use this phrase over and over at practice. Too many girls want to take a little curtsy dip and "pop" the stunt to extension. The problem with this technique is that once the "pop" runs out of gas they are using all arms to lock out. Without a significant flyer-to-base weight difference, their arms aren't strong enough to finish. Find a strength coach at your school to come describe the technique for a push press to them and see if that helps. They should take a nice dip and, driving through their hips and thighs, extend so that their arms and legs lock out at the same time.

To maximize scoresheets for an upcoming competition, my squad has been working on incorporating single-based stunting. We've had some success with a simpler walk-in load to prep level, but have not been able to push it to extension or any other variations.

Any general tips or grips/loads you've found helpful for these? Thank you in advance for any help!

Want to clarify the terminology here. What do you consider single based stunts? Are we talking coed style, one base and a flyer? Or are you referring to a full group where the secondary base stands under the flyer holding both feet? Or something else completely?

Want to clarify the terminology here. What do you consider single based stunts? Are we talking coed style, one base and a flyer? Or are you referring to a full group where the secondary base stands under the flyer holding both feet? Or something else completely?
Yes, let me clarify! I am referring to the type of single base stunts with three people per group. There is a flyer, one base who is underneath the stunt holding the feet, and a backspot who is assisting the stunt on the ankles.

We have tried everything and while we get up in single based skills, it's not pretty and they struggle after shoulder level... However, they also don't listen and don't "want to do them".. sooooooooooooooooo - its like 2 get it and the other 2 cry.. I can't win.

My advice, it is all technique, flyers weight in arms, feet close, stay in tube. Bases, stay close, use legs and really drive up fast, one dip and go. :) Walk ins are easier, but the timing takes a little longer :)

Yes, let me clarify! I am referring to the type of single base stunts with three people per group. There is a flyer, one base who is underneath the stunt holding the feet, and a backspot who is assisting the stunt on the ankles.
Glad you clarified, because I thought you meant something else!

Extensions shouldn't be hard at all... IF they do the prep correctly. It has to go up and come down! If they can't take it up and set it down, then they don't need to do an extension. If they can take it up, then they are already doing extensions and don't realize it. It's a matter of pushing through your shoulders and holding.

The biggest tip for the flyer on press extensions is to keep her ankles squeezing in and to lift up. No balancing, just lifting and squeezing.

The biggest issues we have with our bases when first learning is that they let their shoulders relax and the stunt gets wide. They need to squeeze their arms to their ears and shrug up through their back and shoulders. Make sure they are using legs and then locking out arms fast. Backs just need to help control and lift. It is no different for them than a normal extension.

Make sure they know speed is their friend. If the press at a grandma pace it won't work. I tell them to think of it as the longer it takes to get there, the more time there is for something to go wrong. If they get their quick then there isn't time for all those little things to effect it. Give them a start and end count. If they don't end on that count then they are going to slow!

Glad you clarified, because I thought you meant something else!

Extensions shouldn't be hard at all... IF they do the prep correctly. It has to go up and come down! If they can't take it up and set it down, then they don't need to do an extension. If they can take it up, then they are already doing extensions and don't realize it. It's a matter of pushing through your shoulders and holding.

The biggest tip for the flyer on press extensions is to keep her ankles squeezing in and to lift up. No balancing, just lifting and squeezing.

The biggest issues we have with our bases when first learning is that they let their shoulders relax and the stunt gets wide. They need to squeeze their arms to their ears and shrug up through their back and shoulders. Make sure they are using legs and then locking out arms fast. Backs just need to help control and lift. It is no different for them than a normal extension.

Make sure they know speed is their friend. If the press at a grandma pace it won't work. I tell them to think of it as the longer it takes to get there, the more time there is for something to go wrong. If they get their quick then there isn't time for all those little things to effect it. Give them a start and end count. If they don't end on that count then they are going to slow!
Thank you so much! We will try this at practice

THIS - one of our biggest issues....

Back