All-Star Standing Tucks

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 24, 2011
i was wondering where you guys pull for your standing tucks ? i have bin to a few different instructors and they tall told me to pull different ways . a few of them that i have bin to said to pull on my knees because its better for when you start doing layouts so you dont get into the habit of garbing behind your legs in your layout to make it piked . but others say to pull on your calves so you can pull your legs around faster .... i have a standing tuck but im just wondering where i should pull

My CP was taught to pull behind her thighs. By grabbing the back of your thighs, it allows you to set it up before pulling. I love a nice high set tuck! Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you should grab anywhere for a layout? You set it up and then hollow out to avoid piking it.

I've always pulled behind my knees too because it helps me keep my hands back so I don't bail out of it and touch down.

My CP was taught to pull behind her thighs. By grabbing the back of your thighs, it allows you to set it up before pulling. I love a nice high set tuck! Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you should grab anywhere for a layout? You set it up and then hollow out to avoid piking it.
yeah you dont pull anywhere but like you dont want you hands to just automatically go behind your legs because thats where your arms are used to going from pulling behind your knees

I grab behind my thighs as well. When I first started competing on a level 5 team with jumps to tuck pulling behind my legs made sure that I didn't open too early and touch. I still teach my kids to clasp hands behind their legs if they have a habit of opening too early.

As for pulling behind being a bad habit, I've heard mixed thoughts on this. I've heard the layout theory that it will mess your layout up. False. If you have a good tumbling instructor you will never be taught to pull anywhere for a layout so that habit shouldn't even start. My tumbling instructor senior year wouldn't let us grab anything in our RO-HS-tucks to increase strength in our ab muscles for layouts and fulls. That's a little different though. We were a level 5 team that had been doing running tucks for years and he was just using that drill as a progression method.

this goes for running tucks i probably should of named it tucks
If you're doing a running tuck correctly you should have enough power that you don't need to pull at all. I still grab behind my thighs but it doesn't really do anything, it's more of just a place to put my arms. Work on not pulling with your arms to build core strength that you will need for a layout.

I grab my knees when I tuck, I've done it before grabbing behind on my thighs but I just don't feel as tucked when I do that.

If you're doing a running tuck correctly you should have enough power that you don't need to pull at all. I still grab behind my thighs but it doesn't really do anything, it's more of just a place to put my arms. Work on not pulling with your arms to build core strength that you will need for a layout.
okay im gonna try not pulling anywhere and i pull underneath too in my standing tuck so ill keep doing that i was gonna change because i didnt want it to effect my layout but if it doesnt mater ill keep doing it

okay im gonna try not pulling anywhere and i pull underneath too in my standing tuck so ill keep doing that i was gonna change because i didnt want it to effect my layout but if it doesnt mater ill keep doing it
Yeah, it never affected me but I can also do standing tucks without pulling. Ask your tumbling coach of course but those are the things that I have been taught and I continue to teach my kids.

I always pulled knees or just slapped (never had to really pull), and I teach to grab knees it makes it more tucked. I've noticed sometimes with grabbing behind/thighs some people are more open. How ever I have seen some people who have to pull behind because they can't get "grip" on knees and need to pull. It really depends on the person, knees usually is more balled but for some thighs works best. And if taught properly tuck grip should not effect layouts.

i was tought to grab my calves..it helps me rotate and stay in..it took me forever with grabbing my thigh i always landed short...our whole gym does it basically and it works amazingly...both running and standing... ever since then ive have barely any problems underroatating...

199535_205266906153151_100000095303629_844369_4212374_n.jpg

my mom always laughs at me because i dont ever pull running tucks. im pretty sure my arms wouldnt reach.

and i pull kinda behind my knees for standing tucks. like, right above them. it wraps tighter, i wouldnt make it around otherwise.

Back