All-Star Starting A Discussion: The Safety Of Spring Floor Vs... Well.. Anything Else

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

the 66% was comprised of many different types of injuries due to stunting. the 34% was one thing.

And that one thing is not a majority. It is just the largest piece.

To clear the air on what a majority is: A majority is a subset of a group consisting of more than half of its members.

And that one thing is not a majority. It is just the largest piece.

To clear the air on what a majority is: A majority is a subset of a group consisting of more than half of its members.
yes it is, Most injuries occurred while the cheerleader was spotting or basing another cheerleader, "most injuries" would give it the majority of the injuries that have occured.

@laughAlittle...for the sake of the thread, I'm curious about your proposals to improve the safety conditions regardless of hard/spring floor. just to keep things on track ;)
I'd argue that we'd all like to see the injuries reduced...but best of methods is far from being determined.

@laughAlittle...for the sake of the thread, I'm curious about your proposals to improve the safety conditions regardless of hard/spring floor. just to keep things on track ;)
I'd argue that we'd all like to see the injuries reduced...but best of methods is far from being determined.
I have no clue, I just think that de-progression in the total opposite way that we should be going.

not at all, I was never arguing, I was debating on a message forum

Ah ok. I see. So all that touting of your credentials and school, your discussion of points, your concern I was snippy, is all just to discuss a point and really had no meaning other than the fact of discussion?

Ah ok. I see. So all that touting of your credentials and school, your discussion of points, your concern I was snippy, is all just to discuss a point and really had no meaning other than the fact of discussion?
why do you keep trying to argue? I guess we cant debate on here. I wanted to discuss something that I find important, stop with the hate.

why do you keep trying to argue? I guess we cant debate on here. I wanted to discuss something that I find important, stop with the hate.

so then what is it you find important?

so then what is it you find important?
the reasoning behind if something is done to stunting in HS, then it should be equally done for AS. I dont think there should be any limitations made. I think there are possible ways to combat the problem, but I do not know them. I just know that by limiting what HS athletes can do ( & not limiting AS) its hypocritical.

the reasoning behind if something is done to stunting in HS, then it should be equally done for AS. I dont think there should be any limitations made. I think there are possible ways to combat the problem, but I do not know them. I just know that by limiting what HS athletes can do ( & not limiting AS) its hypocritical.

allstar athletes train year round, have a leveling system to help make sure athletes are performing skills at there level, and as well gyms that train with full time coaches who it is their career and job to make sure the athletes are safe and excelling. if the kids are getting hurt at a gym that gym loses money and cannot stay open. it is someones livelihood to make sure they are doing it right.

high school practices for 3 or 4 months a year. all cheerleading skills are extremely perishable. the facilities in which they teach are not as well equipped as a cheerleading gym. also, a teachers job does NOT rely on the success of her cheerleading team. If they fail and get last or repeatedly have injuries unless they are in a highly competitive area usually the cheer coach will just stay as is.

so, in essence what you are saying is those two situations should be allowed to take the same amount of risk?

allstar athletes train year round, have a leveling system to help make sure athletes are performing skills at there level, and as well gyms that train with full time coaches who it is their career and job to make sure the athletes are safe and excelling. if the kids are getting hurt at a gym that gym loses money and cannot stay open. it is someones livelihood to make sure they are doing it right.

high school practices for 3 or 4 months a year. all cheerleading skills are extremely perishable. the facilities in which they teach are not as well equipped as a cheerleading gym. also, a teachers job does NOT rely on the success of her cheerleading team. If they fail and get last or repeatedly have injuries unless they are in a highly competitive area usually the cheer coach will just stay as is.

so, in essence what you are saying is those two situations should be allowed to take the same amount of risk?

that is not true for a lot of schools. my team practices almost year round and the months we have off we still have to go to tumbling as a "team". we practice in a gym with a 7-9 panel cheerleading floor. my coaches job DOES rely on how well we do during the season, she is not a teacher and coaching is IS her job. if we do bad during the season or have to many injuries she will be gone. i know that this is not the case for all schools, my team is VERY competitive team but why should we punish the teams that do things the right way?
i have thought about this the past few days. if we had to limit high school cheer i would rather it be at level 4 so we could at least single out of one legged stunts and throw layouts.

that is not true for a lot of schools. my team practices almost year round and the months we have off we still have to go to tumbling as a "team". we practice in a gym with a 7-9 panel cheerleading floor. my coaches job DOES rely on how well we do during the season, she is not a teacher and coaching is IS her job. if we do bad during the season or have to many injuries she will be gone. i know that this is not the case for all schools, my team is VERY competitive team but why should we punish the teams that do things the right way?
i have thought about this the past few days. if we had to limit high school cheer i would rather it be at level 4 so we could at least single out of one legged stunts and throw layouts.

Do you make rules for the majority or the exception? That's the question.

Do you make rules for the majority or the exception? That's the question.
good point. for my own personal reasons i would want it to be for the exceptions, but for safety reasons it should be for the majority. but either way i still think it should be capped at level 4 instead of level 3.

Back