All-Star Starting A Discussion: The Safety Of Spring Floor Vs... Well.. Anything Else

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

good point. for my own personal reasons i would want it to be for the exceptions, but for safety reasons it should be for the majority. but either way i still think it should be capped at level 4 instead of level 3.

Now I can respect that. I think being in it and able to do this with qualified coaches it would be very frustrating. That's why I wanted to make the level you can compete at surface specific. If you school is willing to put the money into a spring floor they are also probably willing to put money into a qualified coach with good qualifications.

Kinda like Van Halens Brown M&M rider.

I've been think about this a lot because I absolutly hate the idea of high school only being able to do level 3 skills. It's completely unfair for the teams in my area who actually do pratice safely and work really hard. Also in states in GA where some teams could give a level 5 team a run for their money. But then I remember my coaches talking about how they got certified a few years ago and they felt like it helped them a lot. Maybe it should be your team can only level 3 skills if you are an uncertified coach. That no one gets punished for others carelessness.

I've been think about this a lot because I absolutly hate the idea of high school only being able to do level 3 skills. It's completely unfair for the teams in my area who actually do pratice safely and work really hard. Also in states in GA where some teams could give a level 5 team a run for their money. But then I remember my coaches talking about how they got certified a few years ago and they felt like it helped them a lot. Maybe it should be your team can only level 3 skills if you are an uncertified coach. That no one gets punished for others carelessness.

Did you see the recent cheerleader who fell at the MSU game?

None of these athletes were doing anything crazy that they hadnt done before a thousand times.
We wonder why people dont treat us like a normal sport? In other sports injuries happen all the time. They show the clip on espn a few times, and everyone moves on.
But in cheerleading ONE girl falls and everyone freaks out. Yes it's terrible. Yes I feel bad for her.
But if we want people to treat us seriously than we need to be serious. Accidents are gonna happen in ANY sport. People WILL get hurt. You just hafta try to avoid injuries as much as possible, and cope with them WHEN (not if) they occur.

If you wanna play hard ball with the big boys you gotta be ready to get pegged a couple times.

both those sports have a single governing body and a SINGLE standard for safety, judging, and how to do the skill set no matter where you compete. They also only have one national championship competitikon system. Cheer doesn't.

Not the injury rates.

None of these athletes were doing anything crazy that they hadnt done before a thousand times.
We wonder why people dont treat us like a normal sport? In other sports injuries happen all the time. They show the clip on espn a few times, and everyone moves on.
But in cheerleading ONE girl falls and everyone freaks out. Yes it's terrible. Yes I feel bad for her.
But if we want people to treat us seriously than we need to be serious. Accidents are gonna happen in ANY sport. People WILL get hurt. You just hafta try to avoid injuries as much as possible, and cope with them WHEN (not if) they occur.

If you wanna play hard ball with the big boys you gotta be ready to get pegged a couple times.

1. Your first clip shows mostly leg injuries in soccer and track. These are NOT head injuries. And yes, football has head injuries even with helmets. But the point is they have helmets. However, even their helmets has not stopped over 100 players from suing the NFL for hiding the data on impact as pertaining to concussions.
2. Your second clip for gymnastics shows falls ...ALL onto a matted surface which reduces the risk.
3. Agreed all sports have injuries. BUT how is the risk managed?
4. Allstars do not stunt or tumble on hardwood. This accident is from cheerleading. Allstars are not cheerleaders and have different rules or am I missing something?

1. Your first clip shows mostly leg injuries in soccer and track. These are NOT head injuries. And yes, football has head injuries even with helmets. But the point is they have helmets. However, even their helmets has not stopped over 100 players from suing the NFL for hiding the data on impact as pertaining to concussions.
2. Your second clip for gymnastics shows falls ...ALL onto a matted surface which reduces the risk.
3. Agreed all sports have injuries. BUT how is the risk managed?
4. Allstars do not stunt or tumble on hardwood. This accident is from cheerleading. Allstars are not cheerleaders and have different rules or am I missing something?

The conversation had previously examined the role of all star cheerleaders who also cross over into school cheer, thus the risk of injuring themself while either competing/cheering for their school or the different methods of skill execution on spring vs. hard floor by athletes who compete on both.

In regards to #3 - it would be great to set further regulations on this...hence the point of the discussion. Sooo TBD.

Back