All-Star Substance Free Programs

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Yup. The same people speaking out against drug use and shaming this girl are some of the same ones who have posted about xanax before.
As one of those people I have to say that I'm old enough (won't say mature because I'm definitely not that most of the time) to know when someone is joking and educated enough to know not to mix or overuse medications/drugs if I wasn't sure. It's really no different than telling someone to take a chill pill. I don't mean literally.

As one of those people I have to say that I'm old enough (won't say mature because I'm definitely not that most of the time) to know when someone is joking and educated enough to know not to mix or overuse medications/drugs if I wasn't sure. It's really no different than telling someone to take a chill pill. I don't mean literally.

This.

Not to mention I did the search, and most of these references were in the parent section.

One, I think anyone in there is old enough to know that no one who posts that smiley actually thinks you should go take a xanax with beer (much like no one thinks you should literally bang your head against a wall or get eaten by a shark).

Two, I'll concede that the reference to combining it with beer was maybe too much, but not the xanax. I don't know a lot of people in my age group that are taking xanax illegally - most people I know who take xanax get it from a dr (and don't usually combine it with amphetamine and heroin). It's really not the same. Xanax is not an illegal drug, so I have no problem referencing its legal use - which is actually to reduce stress and anxiety. (yes, I know its legal, intended use is not to be tossed and eaten like popcorn)

Three, how are all these non-parents seeing posts in the parents section? Isn't that the point of posting there?

. I would think the extra handling required to keep the blood alive during transportation to the lab if collected remotely is not feasible cost wise.

Any one have more accurate information?

There are instant saliva tests that can be administered. The person being tested puts the equivalent to a popsicle stick in their mouth. Keeps it for 10-15 seconds and then gives it to the tester. It shows the results instantly. While they are slightly more expensive then instant urine tests, they are cheaper and quicker then lab tests.

(Instant Saliva Drug Tests | Saliva Drug Testing Kits - TestCountry.com Results from a quick search to purchase them.

Also, the lab that does our toxicology tests (urine samples) at work gets us the results in hours. And that is them coming to pick up the test, transport it to their facility that is easily over an hour away and then testing the specimen and getting it online. If an EP wanted to do onsite drug testing, it can be done the day before and have the results for the morning. I am also sure that if the client was big enough the right company would figure out a way to get them the results quicker if necessary. Urine tests conducted by a lab test for more then illicit substances to ensure that what they are testing is actually urine or if the urine was "cleaned". There are always ways around being truthful when rendering the sample, but then possibly supervising the rendering of the sample may be necessary.

There are instant saliva tests that can be administered. The person being tested puts the equivalent to a popsicle stick in their mouth. Keeps it for 10-15 seconds and then gives it to the tester. It shows the results instantly. While they are slightly more expensive then instant urine tests, they are cheaper and quicker then lab tests.

(Instant Saliva Drug Tests | Saliva Drug Testing Kits - TestCountry.com Results from a quick search to purchase them.

Also, the lab that does our toxicology tests (urine samples) at work gets us the results in hours. And that is them coming to pick up the test, transport it to their facility that is easily over an hour away and then testing the specimen and getting it online. If an EP wanted to do onsite drug testing, it can be done the day before and have the results for the morning. I am also sure that if the client was big enough the right company would figure out a way to get them the results quicker if necessary. Urine tests conducted by a lab test for more then illicit substances to ensure that what they are testing is actually urine or if the urine was "cleaned". There are always ways around being truthful when rendering the sample, but then possibly supervising the rendering of the sample may be necessary.
Thanks for the info.

Coach drug testing is a lot easier to implement than athlete testing. Go to your gym director and tell them you want all coaches tested. Done. If they don't agree and it means that much to you, leave. As far as I'm aware, most sports' governing bodies that implement testing do not test coaches.

You can get clean urine which is now why a lot of tests include temperature as well. Very hard to fake.

I've had to take two drug tests in the past year, 1 for clinicals and now 1 for my job. Different hospitals but very similar procedures to ensure that there is no switching. If you have on a sweatshirt you have to take it off. No bags can go in the room with you.

. I would think the extra handling required to keep the blood alive during transportation to the lab if collected remotely is not feasible cost wise.

Any one have more accurate information?

Yes. As you know I am an office manager in a doctor's office. I pulled this information for a routine urine drug & ETOH screen directly from the LabCorp website. As you can see at the bottom, a urine specimen would be considered stable at room temperature for up to 7 days. However, there are a multitude of different tests and they can get way more specific, and have a broader range of drugs that they test for. I pulled this one because it was pretty basic, and seemed easy to administer in a large-scale setting.

Drug Abuse Profile, Urine (Seven Drugs + Alcohol)
Test Number: 726778 CPT Code: 80101(x8)
Test Includes:
Amphetamines; barbiturates; benzodiazepines; cannabinoids (THC); cocaine; ethanol; opiates (codeine, morphine only); phencyclidine (PCP)

Specimen:
Urine (random)

Volume:
45 mL

Container:
Use plastic urine drug bottle and evidence tape or tamper-evident container for forensic specimen. Collection kits are available by request from the laboratory.

Special Instructions:
GC/MS confirmation is included at added charge.

Collection:
Urine temperature monitoring is recommended for samples to be tested for medicolegal purposes.

Storage Instructions:
Maintain specimen at room temperature. If arrival extends beyond seven days, then refrigerate.

Use:
Detect the presence of illicit drugs, including ethanol

Methodology:
Initial test by immunoassay; confirmation of positives by gas chromatography/mass spectrometry (GC/MS)

©2014 Laboratory Corporation of America® Holdings and Lexi-Comp Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Coach drug testing is a lot easier to implement than athlete testing. Go to your gym director and tell them you want all coaches tested. Done. If they don't agree and it means that much to you, leave. As far as I'm aware, most sports' governing bodies that implement testing do not test coaches.

I agree. There is a lot of talk of "it has to start at the top." So why can't it? Also, if USASF can say to be a professional member you have to have a background check, why can't they ask for a drug test?

I can't say for sure one way or another (I only ever assistant coached for my HS. But I know they had to pass a background check and MAYBE a drug test. I'd have to ask my mom). For one of my jobs, though, I had to get a drug test. I was an intern for the summer at a sticker label factory (pressure-sensitive labels, like I basically made the labels for your tostitos, your captain morgan, and your smart water). I had to go to a nearby facility and do a quick drug test. Whole procedure could last maybe 10 minutes.

I think, as a business, you could request it at the start of the tryout season. If you view every season as a renewal of an employment contract. I don't think you need to do it every competition, that's NUTS.

Yes. As you know I am an office manager in a doctor's office. I pulled this information for a routine urine drug & ETOH screen directly from the LabCorp website. As you can see at the bottom, a urine specimen would be considered stable at room temperature for up to 7 days. However, there are a multitude of different tests and they can get way more specific, and have a broader range of drugs that they test for. I pulled this one because it was pretty basic, and seemed easy to administer in a large-scale setting.

It may be stable for 7 days but most sample cups are now testing temperature at time of collection since there is very little leeway and that is very hard to match. If sample isn't within a certain range at time of collection it won't be tested. Due to my line of work I have done 7 tests in the past 13 months. All have included temperature at time of collection.

If this was in the parent section I would tell you why that is not true, but I digress...
I know a few ways to do this also, but if you do random testing the chances are that they are going to get caught.

Are they always going to have something with them at practice and have time?

Spoke with my mother-
For working at Kohls- she was drug tested. She does customer service (returns, exchanges etc)
For working for CT HS Volleyball- She was finger printed and had a background check. She's not sure if the rules have changed for new coaches.

I got drug tested when I worked at Walmart, but not for any job I've had since then.

I was drug tested for temporary seasonal employment at Target and drug tested/fingerprinted/background checked to work with people with disabilities at a nonprofit. my other jobs had people drinking/doing drugs in the back... so yeah.

It may be stable for 7 days but most sample cups are now testing temperature at time of collection since there is very little leeway and that is very hard to match. If sample isn't within a certain range at time of collection it won't be tested. Due to my line of work I have done 7 tests in the past 13 months. All have included temperature at time of collection.

Correct. This is to avoid people trying all sorts of tricks when providing their specimen, namely trying to pass off someone else's urine as their own. Urine should be within a specific range of temperature once it exits the body. For these purposes, I am assuming that any deviation will result in the test being voided and/or considered an automatic failure. My guess would be that that the laboratory processor would most likely provide their own staff for the collections process, or USASF would contract it out to a third party. That way you would have a "professional" on hand to verify Name, DOB, etc., label the specimen container, make sure the temp is right, etc...

Back