All-Star The Back Spot Or The 2 Bases

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Ive always been trained that the backspot should be taller than both bases, but the secondary base should be slighly taller than the main base but not too much. You dont want your secondary base to be so much taller than the main that when you do preps or fulls the secondary has to get down lower.

But yes, you want your secondary to be slightly taller.
In high school last year my daughter was a secondary base and the main base was a girl who was a full 5 inches shorter than my daughter. My daughter has always been a backspot because of her height and her long legs and long reach. This made basing a stunt very difficult for her as she was always crouching down on almost her knees and her flyer would be off balance because the main base did not get the reach my daughter did and she went up crooked and when the flyer fell it was always on the main bases side. It was very frustrating last year. Thankfully this year my CP is back to a backspot.

In high school last year my daughter was a secondary base and the main base was a girl who was a full 5 inches shorter than my daughter. My daughter has always been a backspot because of her height and her long legs and long reach. This made basing a stunt very difficult for her as she was always crouching down on almost her knees and her flyer would be off balance because the main base did not get the reach my daughter did and she went up crooked and when the flyer fell it was always on the main bases side. It was very frustrating last year. Thankfully this year my CP is back to a backspot.
I know this is an All Star board, but my daughter cheers for both HS and All Star. All Star she is mainly a backspot. She has been a base for a few stunts but the girl basing with her on All Star has always been just a tad shorter than her so there was never a problem.

Its a physics thing really..

If the main base does what she is supposed to do and her form is right she should have legs locked and arms locked and at her tallest height.
If the main base is taller than the secondary base the secondary base could have a hard time reaching.
The secondary base if they are taller can really support the weight and take a lot of the weight off of the main base and it should even itself out.
Cheerleading is so scientific its wild lol

Its a physics thing really..

If the main base does what she is supposed to do and her form is right she should have legs locked and arms locked and at her tallest height.
If the main base is taller than the secondary base the secondary base could have a hard time reaching.
The secondary base if they are taller can really support the weight and take a lot of the weight off of the main base and it should even itself out.
Cheerleading is so scientific its wild lol
I think part of the problem was the inexperience of the main base and the fact that the flyer weighed more than both of the bases. But yes I understand what you are saying and it should work but it didn't always...lol.

I like to have my "secondary" bases slightly shorter than the "main" because I teach a modified coed grip for the "secondary" (using quotation marks because that is the position they are in to most of the cheer world, but in this grip the "secondary" ends up more directly under the stunt than the "main").

I've taught it the other way, too, I just like this one better, as, in general, it is rather successful.)

I've only ever backed once when the bases were taller than me due to being a last minute fill in evolving into a rest of the season thing. However, I usually base as a secondary and I'm taller than my main base and the back spot is the tallest in the group. Although my flyer is taller than me again this year because I'm just that short :)

I've always only mained, and I'm the 3rd or 4th shortest on my team. Even my flyer is taller than me. I don't even know who's "supposed" to be taller, but I just prefer the grips and the control of being main. Hate side basing! Other than that I don't really mind who's what height, as long as everyone does their job, I'm happy!

Backing when the bases are taller than you is terrifying so I would not recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree. I tried backing with tall bases once and I could barely reach in an extension, I was basically on pointe. But then I had to back with short bases, and straddle sits were super hard because I had to squat down so much.

Back