The 'catch The Flyer At All Costs' Mentality. Realistic?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 13, 2012
First post, but have been lurking for a looong time :)

I base and backspot on Level 4 All-Girl, mainly backspot. A couple of days ago at practice, my flyer fell out of a one-leg extension stunt forward and landed on the floor, on her elbows. We got yelled at for dropping our flyer and extra push-ups. I felt really bad about it, obviously.

My specific question is this: as a backspot, when my flyer is falling forward, away from me, how in the hell am I supposed to catch her safely, without injuring myself or her? That is a serious question by the way.

I have some more general musings, on whether the whole 'OMG you should never ever not ever let your flyer touch the ground before you or you are the worst cheerleader in the entire world' is over-the-top (unrealistic? unhelpful?). Personally, I think it is slightly off-putting to new bases/backspots. I'm just interested in what other people think, and I'm not looking to start a fight club. I've never flown, so it would be cool to hear a flyer's perspective.

First post, but have been lurking for a looong time :)

I base and backspot on Level 4 All-Girl, mainly backspot. A couple of days ago at practice, my flyer fell out of a one-leg extension stunt forward and landed on the floor, on her elbows. We got yelled at for dropping our flyer and extra push-ups. I felt really bad about it, obviously.

My specific question is this: as a backspot, when my flyer is falling forward, away from me, how in the hell am I supposed to catch her safely, without injuring myself or her? That is a serious question by the way.

I have some more general musings, on whether the whole 'OMG you should never ever not ever let your flyer touch the ground before you or you are the worst cheerleader in the entire world' is over-the-top (unrealistic? unhelpful?). Personally, I think it is slightly off-putting to new bases/backspots. I'm just interested in what other people think, and I'm not looking to start a fight club. I've never flown, so it would be cool to hear a flyer's perspective.
Ok I understand this completely.

Being a backspot myself, and moreover, a male backspot, I'm pretty much expected to have super strength, fly, and still be able to cheer. I understand the concept of catching your flyer at all costs. Usually I try to hold true to it. If my flyer falls anywhere to back or even to the side, yes, I would throw myself at the ground to get in between her and the floor. However, if she is falling forward, there is nothing I can do. By the time she begins to fall, when I get to the front, she is already on the ground. Now, some of the responsibility is on the flyer's shoulders. A flyer should ALWAYS fall backward, and never forward. If she were to fall backward, most of the time the catch is fairly easy to make.

So, no, if a flyer is falling forward, I can attempt to catch, but it's highly unlikely.

Nick.

If your flyer is falling forward, there is little you can do as a backspot. The sidebase(s) should be catching, but you can at least let go of her foot and give her a chance at a "pop off" type landing.

Also as a life-long back, the best you can really do if they go forward is let go of their ankles as soon as possible so you don't cause them to face plant. Out of habit, I'll try to reach for their waist to attempt to help, like what Acedad said with a pop off landing, but I usually don't even make contact... Remind the flyer to fall back.

When flyers jump out of their stunts I fuss at them. There's no way the bases can save them when they're jumping away from them.

Funny this thread pops up right after my flyer fell from her stunt...
Me and my friend Kellee have to lift this other girl (who is about 5 years older than us and a lot taller) in a prep for like 5 eight counts during the pyramid section, and after awhile she starts to feel really heavy. One of the other flyers almost fell and threw down really hard on my flyer and sent her forward. I (being the main base) dove forward to grab her, but she LAUNCHED forward. She was okay, but there was really nothing we could do about her falling. Yet, we had to run around the gym IN THE HAIL/RAIN 5 times, when it was the other flyer's fault.

Okay Rant over.
It depends on the fall. She falls back, you better catch her. She falls forward, not much you can do. If she falls straight down (rare yet it sometimes happens) she should slowly hit the ground. I really hate when the coaches blame the bases. Its like; you want me to injury myself so my flyer can be okay? Why is the flyer never blamed for her own fall? It doesn't make sense to me...

I'm an all-girl back, so can't give anything from a flyer's perspective... But I've had some less than stellar bases so I tend to be a major stunt hog. I've injured myself a lot saving my flyers and I really don't care whose fault it is, at the end of the day it's really your number one job to put yourself between the flyer and the floor. I hate when bases have that attitude that just because the flyer made a mistake they shouldn't have to do everything possible to stop that person from falling.

A technique that works for me (takes good timing and reflexes) when you feel that moment of tip, step in underneath the stunt while scooping the ankles out. You want to counterbalance the flyer and catch them in like a cradle position... Once your bases get the hang of it, it's really effective.

Me and my friend Kellee have to lift this other girl (who is about 5 years older than us and a lot taller) in a prep for like 5 eight counts during the pyramid section, and after awhile she starts to feel really heavy. One of the other flyers almost fell and threw down really hard on my flyer and sent her forward. I (being the main base) dove forward to grab her, but she LAUNCHED forward. She was okay, but there was really nothing we could do about her falling. Yet, we had to run around the gym IN THE HAIL/RAIN 5 times, when it was the other flyer's fault.

Okay Rant over.
It depends on the fall. She falls back, you better catch her. She falls forward, not much you can do. If she falls straight down (rare yet it sometimes happens) she should slowly hit the ground. I really hate when the coaches blame the bases. Its like; you want me to injury myself so my flyer can be okay? Why is the flyer never blamed for her own fall? It doesn't make sense to me...
In my gym, in my team, my stunt group is the strongest one. Were not point because the smallest and lightest flyer is point. But we have a reasonably heavy flyer. I find, at least in our group, the falls are usually at the fault of the flyer. Whether her leg is not locked, which is the case (99% of the time) or if she is leaning off of the back of the stunt. However, in our gym, the flyer does frequently get called out on her own faluts. Very rarely does the foundation of the group get yelled at as to an error. Obviously, every now and then, a base or myself will make an error. Sometimes, it's difficult to get a good grip on the ankle due to the speed of the entrance of the stunt.

I think you have a responsibility to try, but if they're stepping out, jumping out or bending their knees and falling forward, that's a flyer issue. You should try your best to catch them but underhand that you're not likely to be terribly successful.

Usually, at our gym, when a flyer hits the floor Its 100 push ups for the whole team. But the last time I saw this happen, the flyer had to do the push ups. The bases tried, but without a front spot (which our upper level teams don't have) they had no chance to save it.

On the upside, that was over a year ago and I haven't seen it happen since :)

If you backspot a post in a pyramid, there are different hand positions you can use to try and stop your flyer from being pulled in and away from you. Some of my backspots would keep one hand on the back of one leg, while keeping one hand on the front of the other shin. Then if your flyer is bending to provide additional thrust to the other flyer you can provide a bit of support in the front. Obviously this won't stop all forward falls, but it might help.

(Just a note that you shouldn't just break this out in practice. If you want to try it, make sure you clear it with your coach & everyone involved!)

The "you" in the statement "you should never let your flyer hit the floor" is not for an individual, but a group. That is Spot and bases. I do understand that it may be the flyer's fault and that she/he is falling forward and it is difficult for the spot to do much but let go of the ankles; however, if all eyes are on their flyer, as they should be, you (spot/bases) should be able to judge the direction for the fall and react instantly.
And to the individual that asked if they should get hurt to save the flyer, the question is "absolutely yes". you (spot/bases) it is your job to be between your flyer and the floor.
Just imagine if you were a flyer, and not perfect, but working hard at it, you would try much harder if you have the confidence that your spot/bases will catch you or at least put themselves in a position to be hurt before the let you get hurt......There is nothing better than this fact that will give a flyer the confidence to do and hit the stunts they need to......so it is not that it is or is not their fault, but it is a confidence buster.....

The "you" in the statement "you should never let your flyer hit the floor" is not for an individual, but a group. That is Spot and bases. I do understand that it may be the flyer's fault and that she/he is falling forward and it is difficult for the spot to do much but let go of the ankles; however, if all eyes are on their flyer, as they should be, you (spot/bases) should be able to judge the direction for the fall and react instantly.
And to the individual that asked if they should get hurt to save the flyer, the question is "absolutely yes". you (spot/bases) it is your job to be between your flyer and the floor.
Just imagine if you were a flyer, and not perfect, but working hard at it, you would try much harder if you have the confidence that your spot/bases will catch you or at least put themselves in a position to be hurt before the let you get hurt......There is nothing better than this fact that will give a flyer the confidence to do and hit the stunts they need to......so it is not that it is or is not their fault, but it is a confidence buster.....
I couldn't agree more. I know, personally, my flyer likes to jump out of stunts as she's falling. And one time, she jumped off the back left corner. Luckilly, I'm left handed, or It probably wouldn't have worked out quite as well, but she jumped out, and I just barely got between her and the mat. the downside, I broke my nose, it just happenede to be where the back of her head came down.

Nick.

Being a back spot as well, I completely agree with you in the sense that it is really hard to catch sometimes. As a coach and from personal experience, I am very strict on this subject with my team. If a flyer is falling, and you are the only one making a move, jump under her even if she's gonna land on you. It sounds crazy, but it's going to hurt a hell of a lot more for her to hit the ground, and it could also lead to injuries.

The way our coaches tell us to look at is...there is much less of a chance of the base getting seriously injured in trying to catch the flyer, than the flyer getting seriously injured in falling from the air to the ground. We usually do push ups too for falls, but there really are some times when it would be impossible to save the flyer I've experienced (and still done push-ups for).

It's definitely better for a base to get under her and for minor injuries to occur (broken nose, bruises, broken arms) than for nobody to catch her and for her to fall on her head. Because then you have the chance of a broken neck. I just like to be extra careful. There isn't anything you can do sometimes, but everyone should try! Even if it's the flyer who messes up... everyone makes mistakes but in cheer, if people don't help you when you do, it could be life threatening. Flyers shouldn't be afraid to get in the air! Everyone should be doing everything they can to catch her.
That being said, sometimes there are people who don't try to catch the flyer and are more concerned with their own safety. If people in your group are like that (not trying to say they are) you should talk to your coach before someone gets hurt.

Back