All-Star The Majors Teams & Event Talk

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

As a spectator I thought "exclusiveness" and athlete/coach recognition was really cool. I felt it was a bit drawn out, 2 hours for 9 teams is a bit much. Main issue with that is that so many people that were there to watch have to compete Sunday and I felt a long day was unnessarily drawn out.
The energy and "feel" of the event I agree was really cool.
Ur right the exclusiveness, was the best part... however, if athletes spent too much time there and its going to affect their performance, well... shame on them. no one forced them to stay for 2 hrs. Then again it IS TWO SEPARATE EVENTS.

@DrK, thank you for the explanation.

I will say that the buzz coming back from friends and family at the event is that TG was very classy and graceful in their upsetting loss. To me that says so much. I always tell my daughter that it is easy to win with grace, but the ability to lose with grace is much harder and truly defines a team/athlete.

BlueCat -

In the past years on other boards I have jokingly said that since so many "fans" complain they dont want to see anyone but the teams at Worlds who in their minds truly has a chance to win, a concept with an Invitational format where only those teams came would be to their liking. IMO the Majors is a step towards that direction. Piggybacking the event onto Jamfest Indy is a brilliant move. Low risk, guaranteed appeal with the programs invited.

My question is do you think it would work if it was opened up to one or two more divisions even if you use a similar format of the the top 4-5 place finishers at Worlds?

Worlds started with essentially the same two divisions, then started adding them for many of the same reasons that people would (understandably) want to add divisions like small senior, medium coed, etc. The only issue I have with that is that once you start adding divisions, it becomes increasingly easier to add a couple more the next year, 1-2 the following year, etc. Then you end up with an event that resembles nearly every other one and it loses some of its charm.

For better or worse, Large (or large-ish) Senior and Large Coed tend to be the most popular for spectators. Even in years when there are teams in other divisions that are stronger than any LS or LC, much of the focus remains there. I'm not sure exactly what causes that, but my guess would be the history of those divisions and the fact that there are 3-5 teams that consistently battle for the top spots, without any one of them dominating the division for more than a year to two at a time. The parity there provides more drama than most divisions. It has that "any given Sunday" feeling that doesn't necessarily exist in every division.

IOC5 is probably even MORE evenly matched with the technically strongest teams, typically, but it doesn't yet have the deep history that LS or LC have.

NOTE: I am NOT saying that those teams are necessarily always the best overall all star teams. I have seen days where Orange, SOT, T&S, etc. could destroy all of the teams in those divisions. Fair or not, LS and LC just tend to get the most attention (and therefore draw the biggest crowd.)

Having a team in each of those divisions makes me a bit biased, of course, but I would like to see it take a different path from Worlds to see if the format could flourish as is.

Even with that taken into account our score was still in a position to place atop the division and thennnnnnn lol... we received deductions for what Jamfest considered 2 stunt falls to the ground, a tumbling fall and 2 safety infractions. Although some would consider a few of the deductions subjective they were enough to significantly drop our placement.

So, with the "and thennnnnnn lol... we received deductions for what Jamfest considered" part, you're saying that the deductions and infractions weren't correct. Are you saying they were ALL incorrect?

Just curious.

There's been a lot of talk and speculation regarding Top Gun coeds standings in the Majors. First and foremost I agree with BlueCat in that the Majors did an amazing job recognizing the athleticism and accomplishments of all those involved. Being the inaugural year I really do feel that if they slowly grow the attendees and commit to the same quality in production as this year they'll have something great in their hands.

As far as our score is concerned Jamfest acknowledged our coed stunts but only to the bare minimum bc it does not count as majority by their standards. Even with that taken into account our score was still in a position to place atop the division and thennnnnnn lol... we received deductions for what Jamfest considered 2 stunt falls to the ground, a tumbling fall and 2 safety infractions. Although some would consider a few of the deductions subjective they were enough to significantly drop our placement.

Congrats to everyone involved...it was a pleasure to be amongst the Worlds best!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.762771,-86.160908
I mean, I could see how they'd call some of those..after I went back and rewatched the video out. Although half the time I don't know what I'm seeing 'cause of the quality. :confused: Guess Jamfest ain't too fond of the grey area...

I mean, I could see how they'd call some of those..after I went back and rewatched the video out. Although half the time I don't know what I'm seeing 'cause of the quality. :confused: Guess Jamfest ain't too fond of the grey area...

I am going blind trying to find the two stunt falls to the ground, or anything resembling it. There has been much hype about the flying squirrels, so I would wager a guess that those were the safety issues, and I was able to find the tumbling fall.

As for what DrK, meant, I read it as "and just when we thought we had killed it...", not as an argument about the validity of the point deductions. :confused: Just a guess, but that is how I interpreted it.

The bottom line is that different events and score sheets can cause even the best cheer spectator to miss a deduction or two. I am sure the team will analyze the score sheets and the answers will lie there.

It was an amazing opportunity. In my very humble opinion, they did kill it...time to leave it on the floor and look ahead to the next event. :)

I am going blind trying to find the two stunt falls to the ground, or anything resembling it. There has been much hype about the flying squirrels, so I would wager a guess that those were the safety issues, and I was able to find the tumbling fall.

As for what DrK, meant, I read it as "and just when we thought we had killed it...", not as an argument about the validity of the point deductions. :confused: Just a guess, but that is how I interpreted it.

The bottom line is that different events and score sheets can cause even the best cheer spectator to miss a deduction or two. I am sure the team will analyze the score sheets and the answers will lie there.

It was an amazing opportunity. In my very humble opinion, they did kill it...time to leave it on the floor and look ahead to the next event. :)
Usually I notice stunts being dropped to the ground... cases like this make me like the idea of video reviews... any way good job to all the teams... moving on:cool:

I know one of the backward flip knee catch things looked a little janky coming down, so they might have hit them for that as well as the flying squirrels (BEST name for that move I have heard) for safety. The tumbling one I can see because technically he did bust..I really need to see a video that encompasses the ENTIRE team, though. And of good quality before I can feel like I know what's what.

I dunno, to me 'killing it' means no dip bobbles (saw one of those), no janky weirdness, hitting with PERHAPS a teeny wobble. Because if it's dead, it ain't moving. And bobbles mean some moving..so therefore not 'killed.' Performed the heck out of it, without a doubt in my mind. Hit some really awesome things, definitely. Could it have used a fair bit of tweaking, I can see it. Although this is also like worlds- you can't disregard a part of the scoresheet and not expect to get hit.

I know one of the backward flip knee catch things looked a little janky coming down, so they might have hit them for that as well as the flying squirrels (BEST name for that move I have heard) for safety. The tumbling one I can see because technically he did bust..I really need to see a video that encompasses the ENTIRE team, though. And of good quality before I can feel like I know what's what.

I dunno, to me 'killing it' means no dip bobbles (saw one of those), no janky weirdness, hitting with PERHAPS a teeny wobble. Because if it's dead, it ain't moving. And bobbles mean some moving..so therefore not 'killed.' Performed the heck out of it, without a doubt in my mind. Hit some really awesome things, definitely. Could it have used a fair bit of tweaking, I can see it. Although this is also like worlds- you can't disregard a part of the scoresheet and not expect to get hit.

Excellent points, and definitely something to think about. Very new to this level of cheer, and excited that this forum exists so that I can learn from so many veteran fans. :) I watched the videos a few more times and caught the dip bobble. So, perhaps not a kill, but more like a near death experience. In any case, a pleasure to watch.

I also have to say that I cannot wait to see that Cheetahs routine live! Even with the SFs, it was something special.

Excellent points, and definitely something to think about. Very new to this level of cheer, and excited that this forum exists so that I can learn from so many veteran fans. :) I watched the videos a few more times and caught the dip bobble. So, perhaps not a kill, but more like a near death experience. In any case, a pleasure to watch.

I also have to say that I cannot wait to see that Cheetahs routine live! Even with the SFs, it was something special.
Ditto. It would be AWESOME if I could swing a trip to Worlds this year, as 'of COURSE' I'm working this weekend and couldn't go to Indy with friends :( I've only wanted to watch the CA teams live ever since FOREVER..

While all the teams were highly skilled and performed their hearts out, it really came down to who executed and stayed clean with all of that difficulty ...... No surprise there. If your team didnt hit perfect, then oh well! On to preparing for the next big competition. No use crying over spilled milk. While the routine may not have been the most choreographically entertaining compared to some of the coed teams (and not even my favorite among the all girl division) , Panthers hit their routine almost perfectly when everyone else practically had at least 1 stunt fall in addition to other issues. Is it really a surprise that they won? I mean really.... with this level of competition how could any team expect to win without hitting near perfection? jmo

While all the teams were highly skilled and performed their hearts out, it really came down to who executed and stayed clean with all of that difficulty ...... No surprise there. If your team didnt hit perfect, then oh well! On to preparing for the next big competition. No use crying over spilled milk. While the routine may not have been the most choreographically entertaining compared to some of the coed teams (and not even my favorite among the all girl division) , Panthers hit their routine almost perfectly when everyone else practically had at least 1 stunt fall in addition to other issues. Is it really a surprise that they won? I mean really.... with this level of competition how could any team expect to win without hitting near perfection? jmo
I agree with everything except Panthers gives me great joy watching their routine. Agree to disagree :p

I loved watching the majors. It was an honor for all those athletes to get out there and compete against who the cheer community thought was the best of the best. Regardless of how anyone did, they put their heart and souls out there on the mat and have showed everyone why they are the best. Just think if so many people watched the majors, its going to be double if not triple for the worlds. Congrats to everyone in the majors!!

Back