All-Star The Wire Article On Cheerlebrities

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

From xoJane

"It sucks that cheerleading, as an institution, arguably seems to prioritize the looks more than the safety and well-being of its participants, who essentially risk life and limb in practice each day."

Any respectable program values safety. I think the looks aspect is only relevant in school cheer, where you not only are an athlete but a marketing tool so overall look is very important.

Lol. And all star makeup & hair isn't important to anyone....

It is but you don't see in any established and respectable program a push to have pretty athletes over safe athletes. I don't really see how the two can overlap. A program can have an image policy but also make sure every athlete is on the right level, performing safe skills.

It is but you don't see in any established and respectable program a push to have pretty athletes over safe athletes. I don't really see how the two can overlap. A program can have an image policy but also make sure every athlete is on the right level, performing safe skills.
I think a lot of people will disagree with you there.

Some is pushed by the program, some is from the kids themselves but it's out there.

I think a lot of people will disagree with you there.

Some is pushed by the program, some is from the kids themselves but it's out there.

I'm not saying it's not, but the article makes it seem as if the industry is more concerned with the looks aspect than safety. Looks matter to some programs, just as much as safety, especially in programs that are attached to a school. I get that. However in AS, I am pretty sure a program director isn't going to react to someone getting hurt or not doing something safely the same way they'd react to someone who didn't follow the makeup guideline. They aren't going to care that Suzie's pouf was flat when she drops her flyer.

I've said this a number of times. People should understand that to outside observers it does look like looks are more important than safety. Many things would need to change before that doesn't happen.

It's not all the writer's fault.

They may not overtly and publicly push for beauty over safety, but a couple a phrases from a coach to a kid about fixing their hair or uniform could easily and quickly imply to that athlete or others that your look is more important than something else happening.

You are right in that they aren't going to say, 'don't catch your top girl unless your poof is perfect' though

Back