All-Star Themed Practice Controversy

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

These girls dressed as gang members. I don't recall gang members being some sort of protected minority. These happened to be Mexican gang members but they could have dressed as white supremist *ssholes and I'd still say, who cares. You want to make fun of a group of people that kill, rob, deal drugs as their way of life? Have at it.

You know Cheermom1969, it could be the hypersensitivity comes out in me based on my life experiences... I grew up in the Deep South in the early 60's, during the Civil Rights Movement and had the unpleasantness of witnessing how these stereotypes and discrimination can have a negative impact on people lives...(As a little girl, I witnessed the KKK shoot up my Uncle's house because my cousin allegedly "slapped" a little white girl, luckily, they were visiting our house across the road when the shooting happened - they moved to NJ and my family soon followed them and that is why I live in NJ) so for some people these Theme Practices, such as these are still raw and will never be erased in my psyche. There is a phrase I grew up on and was hammered into our heads - "If you forget your Past, It will soon come back on you." I am teaching my daughter to never take small slights, lightly... We had people who died because of these small slights, these are things that young people now think are so funny! I am truly sorry for not being able to laugh!

PS: Why you think the Jews hammered the Holocaust experiences to their young people, because of that phrase above...there is nothing funny about mocking, denigrating groups of people for fun!

Off my Soapbox...

My family moved from rural SC to the "big city" of Columbia SC, (Some went to Chicago and the Detroit area) after one of their cousins was stoned, lynched and then tossed in the river by the Klan.

I really don't think other people understand what its like to be the descendants of people who witnessed these kind of horrific events. They don't understand that these stores are passed down to us and its always instilled in us that we have to work 5x as hard as anyone else to succeed.... ugh nevermind.

These girls dressed as gang members. I don't recall gang members being some sort of protected minority. These happened to be Mexican gang members but they could have dressed as white supremist *ssholes and I'd still say, who cares. You want to make fun of a group of people that kill, rob, deal drugs as their way of life? Have at it.
I think the problem is that we (black people) are often stereotyped as hoodrats, baby mamas, etc. I personally don't mind joking about those stereotypes because I know the difference between civilized and uncivilized/stereotypical black people. I look at this stuff as making fun of the latter group. However, when looking at it through society's eyes (instead of my own) it's obvious what the message is. It's just easy for me to not let this stuff get to me because I haven't had any severe encounters with racism (although I have experienced it).

My family moved from rural SC to the "big city" of Columbia SC, (Some went to Chicago and the Detroit area) after one of their cousins was stoned, lynched and then tossed in the river by the Klan.

I really don't think other people understand what its like to be the descendants of people who witnessed these kind of horrific events. They don't understand that these stores are passed down to us and its always instilled in us that we have to work 5x as hard as anyone else to succeed.... ugh nevermind.

Just so I'm clear, I do not for one second discount your history. And I agree that those who forget history are destined to repeat it. So, no, don't "nevermind."

I live in an very heavily Hispanic area to the point where whites are quickly becoming the minority if they aren't already. I get nasty looks from Mexicans in my area all the time and get treated like crap by certain people. Can't we all just get along? Jeez.

I'm probably not going to have any friends after this and I'm not being rude or but I'm trying to understand where y'all are coming from. Those stories are horrendous. I understand why everyone is skeptical of us white people and they think we are out to get others. There is bad apples everywhere. In every color.

I would understand you saying back then y'all had to work 5X harder but how do you have to work 5X harder then others today? You seem to have had a pretty good upbringing. You seem really intelligent. I wouldn't think you had to work any harder then a white person with a similar upbringing? I'm pretty sure we are all equal.

I'm really just asking because I don't understand so I do apologize in advance for how ignorant I must come across?

i do not think these girls intentionally meant harm, but they clearly did offend some people. i am white and i grew up in an average family in suburban new jersey. i am irish, and my dad will tell you all about the struggles of coming through Ellis Island and being "shunned" in America. we have an "Irish need not apply" sign from an old store front hanging in our home (i think to remind us of the struggle/where we came from? i still think its odd but my dad is all about history) growing up in an EXTREMELY italian town, yes even in the 90's, if anyone called me a "mick" i had full permission to punch them in the face. still, i don't pretend to know the struggles of being in a minority group.

some people truly may not realize they are being offensive. if you are offended, all you can do is offer some insight and educate the offenders as to why they are hurting other people. and unfortunately, someone is always going to be offended, no matter what you're doing and you can't please everyone.

I think the problem is that we (black people) are often stereotyped as hoodrats, baby mamas, etc. I personally don't mind joking about those stereotypes because I know the difference between civilized and uncivilized/stereotypical black people. I look at this stuff as making fun of the latter group. However, when looking at it through society's eyes (instead of my own) it's obvious what the message is. It's just easy for me to not let this stuff get to me because I haven't had any severe encounters with racism (although I have experienced it).

I get that. But it's not like that where I'm from here in Cali. I think we sing kumbaya and smoke weed too much to hate. j/k

My way of thinking is, you can be black, white, green, or purple, and if you're nice to me, I'm nice to you. If you act like a jerk, all bets are off. But I get everyone has a different life history than me. ;)

I'm probably not going to have any friends after this and I'm not being rude or but I'm trying to understand where y'all are coming from. Those stories are horrendous. I understand why everyone is skeptical of us white people and they think we are out to get others. There is bad apples everywhere. In every color.

I would understand you saying back then y'all had to work 5X harder but how do you have to work 5X harder then others today? You seem to have had a pretty good upbringing. You seem really intelligent. I wouldn't think you had to work any harder then a white person with a similar upbringing? I'm pretty sure we are all equal.

I'm really just asking because I don't understand so I do apologize in advance for how ignorant I must come across?

Since I did have a good upbringing and since I am very intelligent, I'm just going to ignore this and walk away.

Since I did have a good upbringing and since I am very intelligent, I'm just going to ignore this and walk away.
Ok I guess I just won't understand. I don't have to I guess and it's none of my business but I was curious.

We are in such a hypersensitive world right now....that yes, we know that not everyone means harm..but it's just better to avoid anything that can be twisted to have these kinds of negative contexts IMO.

You see it becoming a bigger problem with different organizations at colleges getting banned for these types of parties or Cowboy/Indian parties even....so I say...let's just stick to always wearing Disney stuff!

@Kris10boo I really don't want you to feel brushed off, so I'm going to explain this.

1) Forget about America's recent obsession with tanning; light skin, no matter where you go (even in the AA community) light skin, light eye color, loose/straight hair texture are perceived as superior and less threatening. You, as a white woman, would receive better treatment than the natives in other countries because you are a white female. There's a reason that most murder victims we see on TV are young, white females (marketability).

2) Looks matter. A LOT. If a black person (especially a woman) wears dreads or an afro, it is considered to be a political statement. Now, a formal workplace setting calls for simple, elegant up-dos. Those are totally possible with natural hair. However, it is not perceived as "professional", but rather obnoxious. Combine that prejudice with the fact that, again, loose hair textures are considered the most favorable in the black community and you'll understand why the VAST majority of black (not mixed women, that's a whole different topic) women wear weaves and perms on television and in the workplace (these aren't the only reasons, but they are the two biggest ones).

3) As a black person, you could have a Ph.D. from Harvard, graduating Magna Cum Laude, but at the end of the day, you're still black. Make no mistake, discrimination may be illegal, but it still happens. This is still a very racist country. In no way am I saying that whites here don't experience racism, because you do experience it. However, I just want you to understand what @HeresAThought and pebbles49 were getting at. A black person could send their resume to every employer in existence and still receive far fewer responses than a white person with the same credentials. Many companies feel that hiring someone black puts a stain on their company. Even if you do get hired, you will like be paid less than a white person with the same amount of experience, authority, etc. There's a reason that no dark skinned politician has ever made it further than Congress.

I could easily segway into other topics pertaining to what it's like to be black in America, but maybe not on this thread. If you'd like to know more, just PM me and I'll be happy to explain things. :)

Last edited:
We are in such a hypersensitive world right now....that yes, we know that not everyone means harm..but it's just better to avoid anything that can be twisted to have these kinds of negative contexts IMO.

You see it becoming a bigger problem with different organizations at colleges getting banned for these types of parties or Cowboy/Indian parties even....so I say...let's just stick to always wearing Disney stuff!
I don't think that this falls under the umbrella of hypersensitivity (in the negative sense). I think that category is for things like the 'everybody gets a trophy' mentality (we went into that in a different thread).

Last edited:

This!
Why do we always have to read something negative into everything?

Back