All-Star Themed Practice Controversy

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

@Cheermom1969 the reason you see things the way you do is because you are open-minded and aware of the fact that not every member of a particular demographic is not the same. Society as a whole, is not.

Thank you for understanding why I am hypersensitive on this topic-- You know what?
I have to stop reading this topic because it is opening up some bad memories and wounds in my heart--

I'm sorry that this post opened up some old wounds, reading your post has definitely made me look at this matter in a different light!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

You see it becoming a bigger problem with different organizations at colleges getting banned for these types of parties or Cowboy/Indian parties even....so I say...let's just stick to always wearing Disney stuff!

actually i've seen articles (mostly blog-type posts) berating disney for "white-washing" the disney princesses and that they're being racist, when in reality most disney princess movies were originally fairytales passed down through centuries. the princesses look like descendants of the country where the stories originated, which were germany/austria/netherlands/belgium/france. and then there is jasmine, pocahontas, mulan and tiana so 4 minorities are also princesses, but i digress.

yes, i am being slightly facetious and don't think there shouldn't be disney themes, but i have seriously seen numerous people offended by disney for that reason LOL

actually i've seen articles (mostly blog-type posts) berating disney for "white-washing" the disney princesses and that they're being racist, when in reality most disney princess movies were originally fairytales passed down through centuries. the princesses look like descendants of the country where the stories originated, which were germany/austria/netherlands/belgium/france. and then there is jasmine, pocahontas, mulan and tiana so 4 minorities are also princesses, but i digress.

yes, i am being slightly facetious and don't think there shouldn't be disney themes, but i have seriously seen numerous people offended by disney for that reason LOL

Oh man...hahaha but this is the exact thing I was talking about with hypersensitivity ... We all can find the bad in anything now.

How about we all just wear tshirts and shorts then? Lol

I don't think that this falls under the umbrella of hypersensitivity (in the negative sense). I think that category is for thing like the 'everybody gets a trophy' mentality (we went into that in a different thread).

I'm not talking about this article specifically - this is definitely something that deserves attention.

I suppose I should have clarified that I feel like it's a trend to find the negative in everything now.

I'm not talking about this article specifically - this is definitely something that deserves attention.

I suppose I should have clarified that I feel like it's a trend to find the negative in everything now.
Meh, it's why I don't watch the news anymore. :D

Or are you talking about how people often bash this generation?

Last edited:
Meh, it's why I don't watch the new anymore. :D

Or are you talking about people often bash this generation?

Well that second question is a whole other discussion .. That of course would probably end with the conclusion that our generation is under the microscope so much more because of social media etc etc

It's like what you just said with the news - just all about sensationalism and negativity.

It's not that these issues don't need attention, I simply believe the way we as a society approach these topics isn't the most effective way anymore. I don't know ... That could totally be me.

Well that second question is a whole other discussion .. That of course would probably end with the conclusion that our generation is under the microscope so much more because of social media etc etc

It's like what you just said with the news - just all about sensationalism and negativity.

It's not that these issues don't need attention, I simply believe the way we as a society approach these topics isn't the most effective way anymore. I don't know ... That could totally be me.
:D

Hi. Middle class white girl here and I'm gonna go off of what @njallday talked about.

I don't think this team intentionally went out to offend anyone. Did they take aspects of it too far? Yup yup yup. But high caliber, super famous teams post things like this all the time. How many times have I seen pictures of smoed dressed as "thugs" or "cholas" or whatever? Too many to count - not enough interest to care. You can argue that "it isn't the same thing" but it is. But do they get a whole thread and news article devoted to it? No. I blame half to smoeds fame and following and people putting them on a pedistal and the other half to the fact that the team in the article was a school team and parents are more likely to get involved and alert the presses at the slightest little thing like the wind blowing the wrong way.

I understand that minorities struggle with stereotypes and the oppression it causes. I am educated on what happens and how it works. I also understand that I will never know what it feels like first hand to experience some of these struggles.

But believe it or not people, every single race, religion, class, etc has had it's struggles and it's share of discrimination. Do you happen to know what race was used as slaves on southern plantations before they brought over Africans? The irish. Irish slaves. White slaves. (Wowzers, white slaves, who knew?) For obvious reasons, they didn't last too long as plantation slaves yet they suffered the same treatment as the African slaves. Do people not know that happened? Or do we like to dismiss it as a real struggle because another group suffered the same fate but was a bigger part of American history? This is what happens when our school systems only educate "one side" of history.

We are so quick to spew terrible things about the Germans and the Nazi party because of the Holocaust and the atrocities committed yet we forget that we threw Japanese AMERICANS into concentration camps during WWII and spied on countless groups of Americans after terrorist attacks for "our own protection." We say we should take in anyone who flees to America for refuge but secretly only if they're from certain countries. (Off topic but I am not afraid to call the US terrorists as well.)

You could argue that many costumes or themes promote racism/sexism/elitism/whatever. Gangster, cowboys and indians, hobos, army, etc. I find it frustrating to watch people scream at something that discriminates against one group but turn their backs on another because it "doesn't affect me." I'm not gonna list my 6 "nationalities" (for lack of a better term) and go into detail of their struggles and the ways they've been discriminated against.

Hi. Middle class white girl here and I'm gonna go off of what @njallday talked about.

I don't think this team intentionally went out to offend anyone. Did they take aspects of it too far? Yup yup yup. But high caliber, super famous teams post things like this all the time. How many times have I seen pictures of smoed dressed as "thugs" or "cholas" or whatever? Too many to count - not enough interest to care. You can argue that "it isn't the same thing" but it is. But do they get a whole thread and news article devoted to it? No. I blame half to smoeds fame and following and people putting them on a pedistal and the other half to the fact that the team in the article was a school team and parents are more likely to get involved and alert the presses at the slightest little thing like the wind blowing the wrong way.

I understand that minorities struggle with stereotypes and the oppression it causes. I am educated on what happens and how it works. I also understand that I will never know what it feels like first hand to experience some of these struggles.

But believe it or not people, every single race, religion, class, etc has had it's struggles and it's share of discrimination. Do you happen to know what race was used as slaves on southern plantations before they brought over Africans? The irish. Irish slaves. White slaves. (Wowzers, white slaves, who knew?) For obvious reasons, they didn't last too long as plantation slaves yet they suffered the same treatment as the African slaves. Do people not know that happened? Or do we like to dismiss it as a real struggle because another group suffered the same fate but was a bigger part of American history? This is what happens when our school systems only educate "one side" of history.

We are so quick to spew terrible things about the Germans and the Nazi party because of the Holocaust and the atrocities committed yet we forget that we threw Japanese AMERICANS into concentration camps during WWII and spied on countless groups of Americans after terrorist attacks for "our own protection." We say we should take in anyone who flees to America for refuge but secretly only if they're from certain countries. (Off topic but I am not afraid to call the US terrorists as well.)

You could argue that many costumes or themes promote racism/sexism/elitism/whatever. Gangster, cowboys and indians, hobos, army, etc. I find it frustrating to watch people scream at something that discriminates against one group but turn their backs on another because it "doesn't affect me." I'm not gonna list my 6 "nationalities" (for lack of a better term) and go into detail of their struggles and the ways they've been discriminated against.
That's why it didn't bother me. And you're right about the other ignored parts of history.

I couldn't see what was offensive at first glane. Taken in my context, most female gang membrs I see are white. Some are Latina. I work in criminal justice so I see more gang members than the average person. But when someone pointed out that they immediately think of a certain stereotype when they look at the picture, I can see how it would be offensive. Its all in context. Kids can do this without having a clue that they are inappropriate. Lets not vilify them. Lets just explain it like people here have done. Teach me. I get it.

I need to clarify the difference between what the Irish had and Blacks experienced-
The Irish were never slaves on Southern plantations, they were Indentured Servants, who agreed to work off a debt for a period of time in order to pay for their passage over from Ireland and a new start... They were suffering in their country and wanted to start a new life... The Plantation Owners decided that they did not want to put out money for the Irish and kidnapped Blacks from Africa and stripped them all of their cultural, language, religion, family and name in order to save a buck... The Africans that came over did not come over out of free will... However, those Irish workers who still worked on the plantation became Overseers and were still able to maintain their language, cultural, religion and name...and paid off their debts and had a choice to leave and resettled somewhere or buy land. Now, that is a big difference!

Serious note: This conversation is starting to focus too much on all the ugliness that happened in this country; I must say, I think that incident in my life had taught me a lot about this country... This country is truly a Melting Pot and I really believed that I would not have had and still have this wonderful life without the occasional dark clouds and rain... I have to admit that there were a lot of White people who were willing to reach out and help my family after the incident...(According to my Mom, in those parts, it would have been dangerous thing for them to do that)

On Disney "whitewashing" - There are fairy tales in every culture, we've just chosen to ignore most of them. But what people need to realize is that the "whitewashing" happened during a time when that was the norm. It was fine to be openly racist. They wouldn't have profited as much from a movie about a young black princess as a white one. Does that make it right? No, but why be mad at the Disney of today. They didn't make those decisions and have done a much better job recently. It would be awesome if they did some more fairy tales from other cultures, because, not only would their princesses be more diverse but people can learn a little about other cultures. This may be totally insensitive of me but I think it would be very interesting.
I recognize that I have white privilege and really no right to talk about it and make claims about what should or shouldn't offend people. The only people who get to decide what is or isn't offensive is those who it actually applies to. I don't get to decide that I can say the n word whenever. Because I'm white. It's not my place. It's not my place to decide I can make holocaust jokes either. I get thinking things are not offensive, and you can disagree (in your mind), but why not just avoid it if you can. I'm not saying "avoid all controversy ever" but in this situation... Just don't do it. (Your post was just a jumping off point, this isn't directed at anyone)

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Back