All-Star "thigh And Body Rubbing"

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

And here's my other problem (slightly unrelated but whatevs): based on what people on here have been saying, it seems like the (mostly) older, more seasoned, more objective judges (and by objective I partially mean the kind that won't just change a certain team's score because the EP asked them to, because the EP fears that if a big name program attended their comp and doesn't win frequently that they will take their numerous teams elsewhere, and the teams that came to the comp just for a shot at competing against/meeting the big gym's teams will leave with them, resulting in massive loss of revenue), are being frozen out of the judging circuit (for the reason I just explained) and replaced with (mostly) younger, less season, easily manipulated judges that will change any team's score at the EP's request (thus guaranteeing good earnings). These seem to be the types of judges that might prefer raunchiness (hence the judges notes received by coaches like @tumbleyoda demanding more sass and "confidence" (because literally feeling oneself totally counts... *eyeroll*).

In the past, I have judged for Varsity, and I specifically remember this past season at fairly big competition (450+ teams) a coach/owner trying to use how many teams they brought to the event to change placements in a division and it didn't work.
And it wasn't a worlds division, it was the Large Coed 3 Division, and I believe there was only two teams, and the coach/owner of the program wrote on the score evaluation form "ive brought over 80 teams to this competition, and this is the only division I have an issue with." And who knows maybe they wont be bringing back their program this year, but the placements didnt change.

Also -- I cant speak for all competitions / brands , but every Varsity Panel I have been on seems to be very diverse in age, race, region, seasoned judges / new judges.

You can give two kids the same move, dance, or walk and one will look like "Suzie the Cheerleader" and the other based on facials, and what they accentuate, gyrate, grind, and touch will come across as "Suz-Heeyyyy the Stripper". If a coach doesn't recognize Suz-Heeyyyy (um, don't buy it) and reel them in, then I'm hoping this is the year the judges will take the appropriate deductions.

As far as, the "we bad, you mad" pics, it is up to owners and parents to reel that in. While I'm not a fan, Varsity can't stop what happens on personal media but, they can prevent it from happening on their comp floor.

I think some parents are so desensitized to this stuff. Last year I saw a flyer smack her behind in a stunt. I was shocked. I turned to my friend who had an athlete on the team and said, "did that really happen?" And she was like, "it's so cute! My favorite part!" I was floored.
SMH. Better not hear them complaining about media stereotypes.

You can give two kids the same move, dance, or walk and one will look like "Suzie the Cheerleader" and the other based on facials, and what they accentuate, gyrate, grind, and touch will come across as "Suz-Heeyyyy the Stripper". If a coach doesn't recognize Suz-Heeyyyy (um, don't buy it) and reel them in, then I'm hoping this is the year the judges will take the appropriate deductions.

As far as, the "we bad, you mad" pics, it is up to owners and parents to reel that in. While I'm not a fan, Varsity can't stop what happens on personal media but, they can prevent it from happening on their comp floor.

I agree that there are some choreographed moves that get taken from something that could be fine - sassy but not trashy - and changed into something different by the way Suz-Heeyyy does her thing. And that needs to be reeled in. Good choreo beats sexy/sassiness every time in my books. Just maybe not in the judges books from what I'm reading here

I think some parents are so desensitized to this stuff. Last year I saw a flyer smack her behind in a stunt. I was shocked. I turned to my friend who had an athlete on the team and said, "did that really happen?" And she was like, "it's so cute! My favorite part!" I was floored.
I'll admit, I am completely desensitized to it, which is odd for me considering my general opinions on things like this. I simply didn't notice it the last year, but now seeing examples it stands out to me. Several years ago I do remember complaining to a coach about the music choice for our Mini team ( it was recycled Senior Team music), and being shut down. I thought I was reasonable about the complaint, pointing out that NCA had published new guidelines about the appropriateness of music ( maybe three or four years ago?). I was told they would change it if they got a deduction, and since they didn't no changes were made. Which leads me to believe that as long as this type of thing is "sanctioned" by the judges/EPs, it doesn't really matter what we, as parents, think.

Back