All-Star "thigh And Body Rubbing"

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think there is a fine line between what is too much and what it acceptable. I see the "thigh and body rub" like I did the stomp a few seasons ago (thank you Panthers 2012 for that one), teams do it to try and be sassy. I don't think it's smart to compare cheer to dance, nor get in a male vs. female thing here... I just find those easy cop-outs. As someone else said, YOU KNOW WHEN THE LINE HAS BEEN CROSSED.

Except a stomp isn't a sexualized move. Why does a cheer routine need those types of moves? It doesn't. You don't need sexualized moves to be fierce. And you don't need to be fierce to win or hit your routine or to get the judges attention.

This isn't meant to be towards you but here's another side to this issue. Let me ask a (somewhat rhetorical) question: when someone says "cheerleaders performing inappropriate dance moves in crop tops and short shorts/skirts", what do you think of? Cali Lady bullets? Or Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders? Cheer people complain about how common folk compare all stars and nfl "cheerleaders" but at this point how can they not? People don't see the skills we perform. They see the sex appeal. People don't see the hard work and years of dance training the DCC girls have. They see the sex appeal. Sex appeal trumps all. All the time. In everything. So rather than distancing ourselves from that stereotype, we are perpetuating it. We do it to ourselves. You can't honestly expect people to take us seriously when we have underage girls releasing their inner Britney on the competition floor in public.

The over sexualization of cheer. The moves. The uniforms. The music. I'm having none of it.

Except a stomp isn't a sexualized move. Why does a cheer routine need those types of moves? It doesn't. You don't need sexualized moves to be fierce. And you don't need to be fierce to win or hit your routine or to get the judges attention.

This isn't meant to be towards you but here's another side to this issue. Let me ask a (somewhat rhetorical) question: when someone says "cheerleaders performing inappropriate dance moves in crop tops and short shorts/skirts", what do you think of? Cali Lady bullets? Or Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders? Cheer people complain about how common folk compare all stars and nfl "cheerleaders" but at this point how can they not? People don't see the skills we perform. They see the sex appeal. People don't see the hard work and years of dance training the DCC girls have. They see the sex appeal. Sex appeal trumps all. All the time. In everything. So rather than distancing ourselves from that stereotype, we are perpetuating it. We do it to ourselves. You can't honestly expect people to take us seriously when we have underage girls releasing their inner Britney on the competition floor in public.

The over sexualization of cheer. The moves. The uniforms. The music. I'm having none of it.
Recently there was a terrible allegation involving a cheer gym in our area and it hit the news media. The comments on the article were disgusting and inexcusable. However, if we continue to put out barely there uniforms and have suggestive movements in our routines, the stereotype and stigma will continue. Competitive cheer is featured on the national sports channels often, which is a great thing, but it means the general public is viewing it and if that is the visual they are getting, that won't help to change it.

*From a dance perspective:
A year or so after I left dance, the group I was with danced to 'Big Spender'. Now if you just listened to the music, you WOULDN'T know that the song takes place in a dance hall, not a strip club. It's about women disenfranchised with trying to appear 'interested' in boring men who pay to dance with them in a taxi-dance hall. BUT the girls took it as the stripper route (as many people unfamiliar with the musical might), some even stuffing dollar bills into their costumes. They got knocked for it- HARD. Comments after comments about how inappropriate it was.

Modern hip hop? Lots of those dances feature hardcore twerking and such, depending on if it's competition or class (I've watched some choreo vids on youtube and you get some 14 year old girls twerking on the floor). And while sexuality is not a problem- SEXUALIZATION is.

*From a dance perspective:
A year or so after I left dance, the group I was with danced to 'Big Spender'. Now if you just listened to the music, you WOULDN'T know that the song takes place in a dance hall, not a strip club. It's about women disenfranchised with trying to appear 'interested' in boring men who pay to dance with them in a taxi-dance hall. BUT the girls took it as the stripper route (as many people unfamiliar with the musical might), some even stuffing dollar bills into their costumes. They got knocked for it- HARD. Comments after comments about how inappropriate it was.

Modern hip hop? Lots of those dances feature hardcore twerking and such, depending on if it's competition or class (I've watched some choreo vids on youtube and you get some 14 year old girls twerking on the floor). And while sexuality is not a problem- SEXUALIZATION is.
That last sentence was perfect. Thank you.

I get the impression that he's young, too. I've never heard an older coach try to defend this.
Speaking of coaches, isn't it the coaches' responsibility to "keep it clean"? Why would a coach allow inappropriate moves in a routine? I know lots of the L5 teams create some of their routines, however, the coach has the last word.

Speaking of coaches, isn't it the coaches' responsibility to "keep it clean"? Why would a coach allow inappropriate moves in a routine? I know lots of the L5 teams create some of their routines, however, the coach has the last word.
And in a perfect world, no matter the realm (work, sports, politics)- the people in charge look out for those under them, acting in accordance with morals, standards, and high objectives. Sadly, the world does NOT exist in a vacuum and not everyone acts appropriately to their station. Hence why rules have to be put in place.

I think part of the problem is the parents too. I am sorry I have no problem if that came up in a routine my daughter was in first I would calmly talk with the coach and then I would go to the owners or if it was a high school the athletic director and principal. But I think some parents want their kids on these teams so much that they don't want to be that dissenting voice (which it is tough to do - I get that but sometimes what is right for our kids is tough to do). MOST of the time what happens on the mat is the coaches territory but if you are objectifying my child (and to be clear the gym we are at would never do this) then it is parent territory. Until we as parents use the power of the purse and remind the gym these are our children then change won't happen.

I think part of the problem is the parents too. I am sorry I have no problem if that came up in a routine my daughter was in first I would calmly talk with the coach and then I would go to the owners or if it was a high school the athletic director and principal. But I think some parents want their kids on these teams so much that they don't want to be that dissenting voice (which it is tough to do.)

Yes.

If your child has a coveted spot on Super Awesome Elite, the average mom is going to be hesitant to walk up to the head coach and discuss that the body rub in the dance is inappropriate. They know that the coach is simply going to say "oh ok well this is what we have planned, and we will happily place your daughter un Junior Elite 4 again."

I think part of the problem is the parents too. I am sorry I have no problem if that came up in a routine my daughter was in first I would calmly talk with the coach and then I would go to the owners or if it was a high school the athletic director and principal. But I think some parents want their kids on these teams so much that they don't want to be that dissenting voice (which it is tough to do - I get that but sometimes what is right for our kids is tough to do). MOST of the time what happens on the mat is the coaches territory but if you are objectifying my child (and to be clear the gym we are at would never do this) then it is parent territory. Until we as parents use the power of the purse and remind the gym these are our children then change won't happen.
Also, has anyone here not SEEN toddlers and tiaras? You've got moms trying to make their 8 year olds 'sexy'. Just because your reproductive organs work or you have somehow placed yourself in a position of authority does not mean you automatically make good decisions.

Not only that, but some parents actually WANT their child performing sexy choreo because they think it's cute. Like some crazy pagaent moms.

ETA: Kristen took the words right out of my mouth.

FREAKING. THANK YOU. I HAVE BEEN SAYING THIS FOR YEARS. AND PEOPLE STILL COMPLAIN. NOTHING CHANGES.

This is one of the reasons as to why I prefer high school cheer over all-star. Not that every all-star team is raunchy (not all have to be, just the most visible) but been the raunchy teams I've seen in HS (at least, the UCA teams) are nowhere near as bad.

FREAKING. THANK YOU. I HAVE BEEN SAYING THIS FOR YEARS. AND PEOPLE STILL COMPLAIN. NOTHING CHANGES.

This is one of the reasons as to why I prefer high school cheer over all-star. Not that every all-star team is raunchy (not all have to be, just the most visible) but been the raunchy teams I've seen in HS (at least, the UCA teams) are nowhere near as bad.
Our current gym does a FABULOUS job staying appropriate and having been on the opposite end of the spectrum, I love it. Other than a year on a mini team and a year on a Y4 team, my cp is 13 and pretty much always been on senior teams. Enough goes along with that, I don't need inappropriate choreography on top of it all. I am SO appreciative that her gym is athletic and sharp in their motions/dance, not inappropriate at all.

Eta- I can't type

Our current gym does a FABULOUS job staying appropriate and having been on the opposite end of the spectrum, I love it. Other than a year on a mini team and a year on a Y4 team, my cp is 13 and pretty much always been on senior teams. Enough goes along with that, I don't need inappropriate choreography on top of it all. I am SO appreciative that her gym is athletic and sharp in their motions/dance, not inappropriate at all.

Eta- I can't type
But here's the sad part: even though your gym is doing everything right, no outsider will care about that if they see famous teams performing raunchy stuff. Literally 99.9% of all-star teams could be as clean and tasteful as anything, but all it takes is the top 0.1% most famous teams being trashy to screw up the public's perception of everyone else. It's unfair.

Which is why I was shocked that the high school my kids will be going to did it and they were the ONLY ones. The gym that did their choreo though seems to like to add it though which is frustrating as it is a pretty good program (the gym who did the choreo )with World's teams that place well but that seriously would make me consider if their values match up with what I want for my kids. Enough that I would have a conversation before I signed on.

Back