All-Star This Makes Me So Mad... What Do You Think?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I always prefer just to give money instead of buying junk I really don't want. That way the organization gets all of the money. I don't need anymore candles, wrapping paper, etc. If I have $10 to donate, I want the club to get the whole amount, not 50%. Just my thoughts.

but at least theyre offering something in that situation not just asking for your money

There are way more than 100 cheerleaders in the capital region haha. I mean my team did the same thing outside of wal marts in the area. I like the cheer up thing too as a way to fundraise, definitely different. Anyways, in a way it is begging but it's fundraising for your sport too. Baseball players do it, volleyball players do it, a lot of teams do it in the capital region. If people don't want to support, then they can say no thankyou...and not call people names.
I dont think the word begging is a nasty word..it is what it is..your asking for the generosity of another with no return....I think some people do not think it is a nice word so they "fluff" it....either way..we are all free to give or not give....problem solved...no hurt feelings...no harm intended...:)))

another thing about coin drops is, you can put in whatever amount of money you want, so it can be anything!! you don't have to spend a set amount on something you might not even want.

great but like I said, those are just examples of other people that fundraise like that. I never said we were following other sports. idk why you are getting worked up over this.

because we always refer to other sports on this board. its just annoying.

because we always refer to other sports on this board. its just annoying.
Yes, it can be annoying at times, but sometimes it's necessary. I feel it was necessary in my case especially in the area that I live in. We're all cheerleaders here but try explaining something like the coin drop thing to people who don't understand why we do them.

OK...here is my take..I think the way we fundraise...beg....panhandle or whatever we do as means to pay for our sport has NOTHING to do with how it is percieved as a sport. The way I pay for my daughters cheer does not make it legitimate...that will come as cheer evolves...sadly it is taking a long time but I think the membership cards etc are a step in the right direction. It is a sad fact that almost nothing in these good ol United States recieves legitimate status without a huge scoop of bureaucratic hogwash attached. IMO

There are plenty of groups who ask for cash outside large stores, not just sports. And they are all things that don't give anything in return EXCEPT what they give back to the people involved. Same with Salvation Army. When you give, you don't give to help yourself, you give to help others. SAME when you give/donate to other groups, you give to help THEM- equipment, trips, the benefits of that sporting event or youth group..

If you want to fundraise by just raising money without doing anything else I would ask the town the gym is in if you can be cleared to do a roadblock like thing that they allow certain groups to do. We always do one for Relay For Life, but we have to be given a permit from the county in order to do one.

Difference I find in comparing it to the Salvation Army in the winter is that the times I have encountered them outside of a store they do not talk to you to try and get you to give money. Instead they stand their and ring their bell. They may say to have a great day but they do not run at someone going shopping to ask for money. Groups that will run at you asking for money when you just want to go to Walmart and buy some milk and then do it on the way out is just annoying, sorry but it is. I have had cheerleaders do this in the past and I dreaded walking back out to my car.

I can see where the person is coming from. Many people do not like this type of "fundraising" that doesn't mean she needs to be attacked for having an opinion. What I do not get is how everyone can jump down someone's throat because they feel different towards something a cheerleader does when everyone is entitled to their OWN OPINION. I really feel like many people need to step back and take a breather and stop taking everything everyone says to heart because it isn't helping. People are saying how bad it is that she said that but are ignoring the fact she offered up a different way to fundraise.

I dont think this is that big of a deal. I dont think you should beg for money either with nothing in return. They didnt bash cheerleading. I personally think the fact that they were cheerleaders had little to do with this.

i just got back from the cheer up thing so this is what i have to say about the article on the blog and the fundraiser.

i think one thing bothered me about this is that they singled out cheerleading and my gym in particular, other gyms in the area do coin drops as well. Im NOT saying they should've been mentioned and that they should've been brought into this too, but i'm just saying cny isn't the only organization that does this. i just think if a reporter is going to go off and call people beggars because of the way we fundraise.. she shouldn't single out a program or sport she should just talk about the coin drops in general.. for any sport, organization etc. i didn't see the blog but from what i heard i don't think it was really right to complain about fundraising anyway.. if you don't like it, don't donate! but people are entitled to their opinions and i respect that and all of this has helped out my gym in the end!

the "cheer up" thing was kind of different and not what i'm used to for fundraising. it was interesting and kind of fun but it didn't give an accurate image as to what allstar cheerleaders do. we had the whole cheer menu thing where there were different kinds of categories like big meeting, keep the boss away, stay cool, looking good, and good luck and we kind of had to just make up the cheers ourselves. and as competitive cheerleaders, most of us have no experience with sideline so our cheers basically made no sense. but it did seem to be a success, we got a lot of exposure from all of this being talked about on the radio the last week and especially today, people were happy we were providing a "service" and even one of our younger cheerleaders got to be on the radio! pictures and videos from todays event will be on FLY 92.3 later today if anyones interested in seeing.

otm3op.png

Back