All-Star This Makes Me So Mad... What Do You Think?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I don't think they set out to target anyone but she ran into that team/gym at the moment and wrote a blog about it. I would not take it personally at all. If you listen to her radio interview it really had nothing to do with what gym or even what sport it was, it had to do with the fact she did not think it was the right way to fundraise.

keyword to all this is donation. when you donate to the red cross or hurricane katrina your not receiving a service or product. you do it to help out a cost or you dont do it and go about your way. and I really dont care about the word beg. my gym actually calls it a "beg-a-buck". The cheer up thing sounds like a good idea for high school cheerleaders. if allstar programs start doing this I don't think it will portray what it is we really do and will never be taken serious. we'll continue be seen as sideline peppy people

i just got back from the cheer up thing so this is what i have to say about the article on the blog and the fundraiser.

i think one thing bothered me about this is that they singled out cheerleading and my gym in particular, other gyms in the area do coin drops as well. Im NOT saying they should've been mentioned and that they should've been brought into this too, but i'm just saying cny isn't the only organization that does this. i just think if a reporter is going to go off and call people beggars because of the way we fundraise.. she shouldn't single out a program or sport she should just talk about the coin drops in general.. for any sport, organization etc. i didn't see the blog but from what i heard i don't think it was really right to complain about fundraising anyway.. if you don't like it, don't donate! but people are entitled to their opinions and i respect that and all of this has helped out my gym in the end!

the "cheer up" thing was kind of different and not what i'm used to for fundraising. it was interesting and kind of fun but it didn't give an accurate image as to what allstar cheerleaders do. we had the whole cheer menu thing where there were different kinds of categories like big meeting, keep the boss away, stay cool, looking good, and good luck and we kind of had to just make up the cheers ourselves. and as competitive cheerleaders, most of us have no experience with sideline so our cheers basically made no sense. but it did seem to be a success, we got a lot of exposure from all of this being talked about on the radio the last week and especially today, people were happy we were providing a "service" and even one of our younger cheerleaders got to be on the radio! pictures and videos from todays event will be on FLY 92.3 later today if anyones interested in seeing.

otm3op.png

the only reason she mentioned yall in her blog is because she happened to be at walmart the day yall were doing it. she have not came across other gyms doing it or other sports teams.

There are plenty of groups who ask for cash outside large stores, not just sports. And they are all things that don't give anything in return EXCEPT what they give back to the people involved. Same with Salvation Army. When you give, you don't give to help yourself, you give to help others. SAME when you give/donate to other groups, you give to help THEM- equipment, trips, the benefits of that sporting event or youth group..
Even though I can't compare helping an Organization like St Judes or Salvation Army to a cheerleader in front of Walmart raising funds for a luxury ..if you will...I think the answer is still..we all are free to give or not to give...simple as that...IMO

when you ask for money without providing ANYTHING in return...you run the risk of being called a begger...if you think it's ok to ask for money....thats cool...just can't be sensitive...cuz it is begging...IMO
the difference is, they provide a product or service for money. people work hard for their money and you cant just expect them to hand it over
True, but it's optional, it's not like they HAVE to give up the money, it's their option to walk by or to stop and talk to the athletes about their program and give a dollar or two, it's a donation.

I dont think this is that big of a deal. I dont think you should beg for money either with nothing in return. They didnt bash cheerleading. I personally think the fact that they were cheerleaders had little to do with this.
i think the thing that people are mad about is the whole "Cheer-up" thing in general... Allstars cheerleaders don't do cheers, we do routines.. but i don't know

i think the thing that people are mad about is the whole "Cheer-up" thing in general... Allstars cheerleaders don't do cheers, we do routines.. but i don't know
I understand that. Even as HS cheerleader I dont think i'd like that very much (mostly cause i hate actually cheering) but im a little surprised their coach had them do that...

Well, to be honest, I can understand where the lady is coming from. I live in a big city and it can get really, really annoying, being stopped every 100 meters or so and asked, if you would like to donate this or sign that... I actually do that same thing of just not looking at the people anymore or I just keep walking and saying "no, no, no, no thanks, no, no, no thanks,..." like a nutcase. ;)
This being the situation, we need to do something, when we collect money, that actually gets peoples' attention. So we usually stunt at a main tourist spot or something.

Looks like this:

People react very well to this, even better when we have signs explaining that we need the money to pay for the gas or something like that. It's specific and we do something for it. That way, I feel good, doing it. :)

The way I see it is if you want something in return for someone asking for money then only give to those who are giving you something. So what the cheerleaders don't have anything to give. They aren't stand out there for the heck of it, they are giving their time and its for a good cause. I can understand if they are just sitting there like I see the soccer and baseball and softball teams at our local wal-mart do. But when I see the cheerleaders doing it they are always screaming and laughing and doing jumps and sometimes a bhs or back tuck. If I don't want to give them any $$, I don't (I always do anyway no matter what they do) but I don't sit around and think about whether they are begging or panhandling or whatever. Either give or don't give and go about your business. JMO:)

Well, to be honest, I can understand where the lady is coming from. I live in a big city and it can get really, really annoying, being stopped every 100 meters or so and asked, if you would like to donate this or sign that... I actually do that same thing of just not looking at the people anymore or I just keep walking and saying "no, no, no, no thanks, no, no, no thanks,..." like a nutcase. ;)
This being the situation, we need to do something, when we collect money, that actually gets peoples' attention. So we usually stunt at a main tourist spot or something.

People react very well to this, even better when we have signs explaining that we need the money to pay for the gas or something like that. It's specific and we do something for it. That way, I feel good, doing it. :)
your city looks cold!!!!!!

Back