All-Star Thoughts On After Comp Bid Announcements

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I could see both ways- wanting that moment together when they're all dressed up and what have you. It's a nice way to cap off a successful weekend. I can also understand with incredibly large competitions and wanting to make sure you get it right with all the judging panels.

Another thought- having to get the bids done late, staying late after a long weekend for awards, and NOT getting it. That's a long disappointing ride home after a long weekend. I imagine some emotions would be running extra hot and some stress gets let out in a non-constructive way. Less of the 'what is appropriate awards behavior' commentary.

I always laugh when I attend competitions and parents are so excited about their CP's team getting an AT-LARGE bid to the summit. I'm just sitting there ... thats another expensive trip you have to pay for! lol
I personally would be thrilled if my team got an at large bid to summit! Summit bids are extremely hard to get and its a HUGE accomplishment!

Maybe I misread your post. It sounded like you were mocking parents for being excited for an at-large bid.

Yes it's a big deal and kudos to the gyms that already have bids!

Oh no I wasn't mocking it! I didnt realize how difficult it was to get a bid until my ncp was in the race for one. But if she did i'm sure i would be ecstatic .. but then I would be like ... wait i just finished paying comp fees... now I have to shell out another $$$$ .. but yeah still a huge accomplishment.

I didn't make it to our gym summit reveal. I am one of those commuters. I would have loved to be there for CP and myself to celebrate with the team but after having just arrived home and having a long commute to the gym for practices, I just wasn't worth the long ride for four minutes. :) but we did video chat during the viewing.

I always laugh when I attend competitions and parents are so excited about their CP's team getting an AT-LARGE bid to the summit. I'm just sitting there ... thats another expensive trip you have to pay for! lol

Lol, I can't help but laugh at my own hypocrisy every year......
During the summer every time I pay online I'm mumbling, "AS is so expensive."
During the AS season while I'm putting flights, hotel and food on the card, "Oh please let them get a bid!":p

Not knocking the accomplishment.
I'm sure you weren't. I just meant that it's so hard to get a summit bid at all. Worlds at large bids are definitely easier to get. Just think with summit you have all 5 levels going for a bid. So that's a lot more teams vying for a limited number of bids.
We tell our parents up front that we will accept either at large or paid bids so they can somewhat prepare

So Worlds bids were announced but not Summit?How come?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm sure part of it is because Worlds teams all see the same judges, so that eliminates the need to compare divisions across different judging panels. At large comps, even within the same level, non-Worlds teams could be in different halls with different judging panels.

We missed last year but don't remember this grip the previous year.

But what was with the award scheduling in general. We had a 4 hour wait after the last team went for awards (6 hours after we competed). That is just insane. And then they announced they are not even announcing summit bids until Monday. And last gripe why no electronic place for placement postings. Seems like there was just a general lack of information. Thank goodness for cheer updates for level 5s.

With every Arena having a different set of judges, I understand why they do this. While scoring is consistent within each Hall, it isn't identical to other Halls and that review makes it equal across the board.
Do you really think they are comparing scoring across halls? Just curious how this is being done.

So Worlds bids were announced but not Summit?How come?

It's MUCH easier to calculate/rank that small a number of teams. Worlds teams are very much the minority at competitions compared to the hundreds of 1-4 teams. They're all also the same age/level. Depending on the summit bid declaration, maybe the top two of each level is getting the bid; sounds easy but then you have youth, junior, and senior to factor in at different awards sessions with different judges and it can get very messy.

Cp's team competed at 4:00 this weekend, then had awards at 6:00. This was a one day comp & we were driving home after. We had been there all day and I was tired!! :) But cp's team won their division, and had the high point for their level, and she was bound and determined that we stay until the bitter end of all the awards to hear who got the 3 bids. Most of our team & the sane moms cleared out after our awards session...but myself and two other moms who also can't tell their child "no" stayed for the long haul. :D I can tell you I would have been THRILLED if the bid announcements had been on Monday! But...cp's team won one, and all 5 of the team squealed and screamed along with the coaches. It *was* exciting! but I would have been just as excited hearing about it at home! Glad cp had a fun moment, though.

Back