All-Star Thoughts On After Comp Bid Announcements

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm sure part of it is because Worlds teams all see the same judges, so that eliminates the need to compare divisions across different judging panels. At large comps, even within the same level, non-Worlds teams could be in different halls with different judging panels.
Not true at this event. All the same levels were competing in the same hall. So example, all level 4 competed in Hall B and all level 3 competed in Hall C, etc.

Do you really think they are comparing scoring across halls? Just curious how this is being done. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They record the performances so, they re-review the top performers in each division. I know there were quite a few athletes, parents and fans last year questioning why a team didn't receive a paid bid at an event when this team had one of the highest percentage of perfection at the event but, there were 5 Halls (if I remember correctly). When you compared their video to the teams that won the paid bids you could see how it would be easy for one Hall to judge harder when it came to something like the dance, tumbling technique, etc. compared to the other Halls.

Not true at this event. All the same levels were competing in the same hall. So example, all level 4 competed in Hall B and all level 3 competed in Hall C, etc.

But, level 1, 2, 3, 4.2, 4 and Res 5 are in competition for the same bids with different judges. Worlds had the same judges.

Is there a reason why Summit bids are not announced at awards? US Finals (summit counterpart) qualifier comps announce US Finals bids at awards. Is there a different judging criteria?

Is there a reason why Summit bids are not announced at awards? US Finals (summit counterpart) qualifier comps announce US Finals bids at awards. Is there a different judging criteria?
Most competitions announce Summit bids at Awards, this competition did not which is why it is a hot topic of conversation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, I felt a little like it was a slap in the face to non-worlds teams. I wasn't bothered by it initially because I assumed they were revealing worlds bids on Monday as well, but I was not a big fan when I heard that.

Our Sr 4 beat out 74 (!!) teams for level 4 high point to earn that paid bid. The amount of difficulty in their routine it took to get that kind of score is insane. I can think of some instances where worlds teams received at large bids basically by default due to the way they were handed out based on division. That seems ridiculous to me.

They record the performances so, they re-review the top performers in each division. I know there were quite a few athletes, parents and fans last year questioning why a team didn't receive a paid bid at an event when this team had one of the highest percentage of perfection at the event but, there were 5 Halls (if I remember correctly). When you compared their video to the teams that won the paid bids you could see how it would be easy for one Hall to judge harder when it came to something like the dance, tumbling technique, etc. compared to the other Halls.

But, level 1, 2, 3, 4.2, 4 and Res 5 are in competition for the same bids with different judges. Worlds had the same judges.
But I guess what is being said is that since the bid declaration said so many bids per level as long as a level is all judged in the same hall/panel - then cross hall panels should not be a problem.

I always laugh when I attend competitions and parents are so excited about their CP's team getting an AT-LARGE bid to the summit. I'm just sitting there ... thats another expensive trip you have to pay for! lol

EDIT -- not mocking the accomplishment .. it is a HUGE DEAL.. just saying its another comp to pay for after an already expensive season.

If I ever got the opportunity for an At Large Bid to The Summit, I'd be crying my eyes out. I get that you aren't mocking it but for people like me who's biggest competitions are regionals in Scotland, something like that would be a once in a lifetime pipe dream. I'd happily take it and pay for an excuse to compete in Florida before Retired Katz kicks in.

But I guess what is being said is that since the bid declaration said so many bids per level as long as a level is all judged in the same hall/panel - then cross hall panels should not be a problem.
In most cases they alternate, such as L3 Jr. competes and then L3 Sr. So, each specific level division has the same judges but, alternating divisions may not. In other words, L3 Jr. goes on and set A judges watch them and then L3 Sr. goes on and set B judges watch them while set A judges finish their notes even though they're in the same Hall. Does that make sense? I'm not sure I explained that well. Even if they didn't alternate judges, the judges would have to work 8 AM until 10 PM without breaks for it to be the same judging staff and fair to each team within that Hall.

ETA: @DropAndRun My guess is because there are only 12 World's divisions. There are 50 Summit divisions, with some divisions being split because of quantity and then there are D I and D II. I think we are going to see this become the "norm" at larger comps just because of sheer number.

Last edited:
At a competition with multiple stages and judging panels (as it seems most bid events are these days) I completely understand it. Scoring can vary so much and a dedicated effort at a comparison after the fact is beneficial. Better than a rushed decision the day of. I totally get the disappointment of missing the celebratory moment, but you're still getting the grand prize anyway....the bid :)

Everyone is talking about the odd judging that can happen. However, if you look at how the awards are being given out from what I have noticed it's either based on the top scoring Youth, Junior and Senior teams. Or it's the top scoring Level 1, Level 2, Level 3, etc teams. They aren't randomly picking teams. They are looking at the scores and awarding the bids accordingly. Are you guys seeing something else?

Everyone is talking about the odd judging that can happen. However, if you look at how the awards are being given out from what I have noticed it's either based on the top scoring Youth, Junior and Senior teams. Or it's the top scoring Level 1, Level 2, Level 3, etc teams. They aren't randomly picking teams. They are looking at the scores and awarding the bids accordingly. Are you guys seeing something else?
Exactly. Which is why we're bringing up the scoring and how it can occasionally vary.

At a comp I was at last weekend, a team who got a D2 AL Summit bid came in 3rd. I didn't understand that at all, but I'm new to all this Summit stuff.

At a comp I was at last weekend, a team who got a D2 AL Summit bid came in 3rd. I didn't understand that at all, but I'm new to all this Summit stuff.
Some team may already have a bid and some gyms won't take an AL bid, so that may be how a 3rd place gets one.

Back