All-Star Thoughts On After Comp Bid Announcements

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Registration fees for athletes and coach(s?) (including 3-day park hopper) and hotel for the team (4 per room).
Okay, thanks! That's not too shabby. The hotel for a large team is expensive and the park hopper is a nice perk, too. Whether paid or at-large, a Summit bid is a huge accomplishment for the kids. Congrats to all! Thanks again for your quick response.

If I ever got the opportunity for an At Large Bid to The Summit, I'd be crying my eyes out. I get that you aren't mocking it but for people like me who's biggest competitions are regionals in Scotland, something like that would be a once in a lifetime pipe dream. I'd happily take it and pay for an excuse to compete in Florida before Retired Katz kicks in.
Oh I'm in scotland too! I feel ya... Not one bid opportunity for any competition available in scotland

As an athlete being with my team when we win is super important to me so I don't think I would be happy about an after comp bid announcement but I also understand the need for accuracy

Both times our kids won bids they were same day, but very late, reveals. Both competitions were 7 hours away so, we were in the car driving home both times when we found out. DH had to work the next day, and it was finals and mid terms after those two comps. Next day reveals don't require us to sit around additional hours, we don't have to pay for an additional hotel night, miss school or take additional vacation days at work just so the team can be together for a possible 10 out of 400 chance to celebrate. Best of all, next evening reveals do allow for reveal parties and the ability to celebrate/mourn together the next evening when generally everyone is home. IMO, the EP's have put a lot of thought into the next evening reveals, both from their perspective of getting it right, and ours, needing to get home when we are traveling long distance.

I have mixed feelings on this subject. I like the delayed bid announcement from the perspective of getting it correct. My CP's team was the recipient of an at large bid to Summit last year at WSF and they completely missed announcing the level 2 bids. Anyone that was there knows that they announced 1 and 5 in one arena, 3 and 4 in the other arena, and completely forgot to announce level 2. Totally took away that moment for those exhausted kids who had waited until 10:00pm for nothing. So, I appreciate this step to make sure a mistake like that doesn't happen again.

The flip side of it, as other have said, is that is does kind of take away that "moment" on stage with the team and the banner. It's something I wish my CP would have been able to experience, and I think it is a great celebration for the team's earning the bids at the competition.

Oh I'm in scotland too! I feel ya... Not one bid opportunity for any competition available in scotland

It really is chronic isn't it and also holy hell theres a fierce boarder in my neck of the woods, never had this happen before. Let me savour this moment!

We're not in the thick of this yet, but I would definitely be the parent who would rather hit the road as early as possible then wait until the very end to find out. I do think the EP could inform the coaches or gym owner and do a 24/48 hour delay from publicly announcing it so the gym could get the kids together and announce it to them as a group---but, as far as staying, I really don't see ever wanting to do that.

If having the reveal the next day is gonna keep you from being excited about the bid then maybe you shouldn't be going anyways....

I get celebrating with your team but I'd much rather have accuracy. If it's that big of a deal, have the coach find out and then tell them all together at the next practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can totally understand the mixed emotions...probably a good reason why many gyms don't discuss scoring with parents before and even after.

Speaking of coaches talking...one of the "most awkward" situations we experienced was when cp was on a new worlds team with an established program. Well known coach of another team from a different location of same program was very verbal in the men's room about his feelings if new team got paid versus his team...all the while an older brother of a teammate was right there hearing every word (and of course he told us all ;) )

This is why you watch what you say! You never know who is listening.

Back