All-Star Thoughts On After Comp Bid Announcements

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Long as they are getting it right I wouldn't be too upset about the bid reveal being the next day....

Funny story from this weekend

The declaration at the comp we went to said the two highest scoring teams will receive the paids for the summit. And then the 8 at larges would be handed out between the levels with every grand champ guaranteed a bid. Ok great.

After day 1
We were grand champs in every level.
Our level 5 and level 3 were our highest scoring teams.

Day 2 happens and every team but my daughters hits 0.
So we knew they would stay the same since most were in lead by a lot ..

Anyways our levels 1&2 already went and we were given grand champs and at large bids.

Our levels 3,4,5 all go within an hour of each other and we find out our scores and they tell us the scores .. So we knew our level 3 and 5 had to be the highest two scores of the comp.

Level 3 awards happened and they give them an at large bid and the comp people specifically announce

"Just because you got an at large doesn't mean you won't upgrade to paid in the last awards. "

The coaches already sent out scores for everyone and we knew our level 3 and 5 outscored our level 4 even though they would all win their levels and they all had high scores.

So our senior 3 all stuck around till the last award ceremony ... Expecting to be upgraded to a paid bid.

They announce our level 5 as getting a paid ... And then they announce our level 4 as getting the second paid. Everyone from vipers was confused because we were already told scores and knew s3 outscored s4.

So our coaches went and talked to them the second the paids were announced and they said they did video review to determine who should get paid and the judges thought the s4 was a little better but it just didn't translate into their score since different judging panels judged the comp.

I mean both looked flawless but because our coaches and owners had already went over it with us, a lot of parents were mad from the level 3.
They aren't mad at the level 4 .. They are happy they all got bids but that was the difference in one team getting AL that per the declaration should of got paid,
And the other team that got paid would of got an AL.

We love the competition and we will go every season, and our owner is just happy we got the bids! And she is just happy of how great everyone performed.

But it sure does create parent drama and I'm sure she wishes she could change that. If it would of said that on the declaration then no one would care.. But I try to look at it from both sides .. If I was level 4 I would be thankful for the video review but I know I would be a little sad about the money if I was on s3!

I'm sure they will get paid at the next comp or something but I feel bad for both.

So all in all it would be nice to be reviewed for accuracy if I knew they were getting it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been to the summit twice. my first year I received the bid at a comp and it was an amazing feeling to have the energy and emotions shared throughout the whole venue. My second year it was passed down to us and we had a little reveal at our gym. B0th times were equally as special and exciting so I don't really have a problem with them revealing them the day after

Personally I like it better - a few years back at a comp that was a good 7 hours away, our gym made us stay for the bid announcement. This added on another 3 hours before we could even leave so we didn't arrive home until 4 AM. I ended up having to take an extra half day off and so did many other parents and my daughter missed school the next day. Also after an experience last year of a full paid bid "issue" - I'd prefer they get it right before announcing. But hey that's just me. I'm sure my daughter would disagree ;)

In most cases they alternate, such as L3 Jr. competes and then L3 Sr. So, each specific level division has the same judges but, alternating divisions may not. In other words, L3 Jr. goes on and set A judges watch them and then L3 Sr. goes on and set B judges watch them while set A judges finish their notes even though they're in the same Hall. Does that make sense? I'm not sure I explained that well. Even if they didn't alternate judges, the judges would have to work 8 AM until 10 PM without breaks for it to be the same judging staff and fair to each team within that Hall.

ETA: @DropAndRun My guess is because there are only 12 World's divisions. There are 50 Summit divisions, with some divisions being split because of quantity and then there are D I and D II. I think we are going to see this become the "norm" at larger comps just because of sheer number.
So they actually did alternate panels a vs b. Without looking through the entire schedule it appeared to me the alternate was between levels. Level 2 went with panel a and level 4 went with panel b - keeping the judges consistent for a level. Again I didn't check the entire schedule but upon hindsight seems like wsf planned this comp pretty well

My initial reaction was what if you gather everyone for the reveal and then didn't get a bid. Kind of puts kind of a damper on everything

I know there are so many moving parts to Bid announcements, but I would love for my daughters team to be together for the announcements and celebrate together (one way or the other in person or live broadcast). It has been two years in a row, for various reason the team has not been together for the announcement for Summit bids. Last year we received the wrong announcement time from the EP. Honest mistake, but it was a big deal as we won a paid bid. Most of the team had to learn second hand via twitter or from other friends etc...

This weekend we chose not to stay for the announcements as we had Tiny awards at 1:30 and the Youth at 3:30. The bids were announced at close to 9:30pm. I ran upstairs to share the news as I learned via twitter, but she was fast asleep. In that instance, the broadcast announcements would work best IMO( following day). It is such a huge honor and these kids work so hard together as a team. I am sure the talented Ep's will figure out a better way in the future. They put a lot of work into the experience at these comps, reaching the pinnacle should not be so anticlimactic. I am eager to see the future of bid announcements. I think they are on the right path and will figure it out soon.

From a coaching stand point, I like the idea of doing it after. I would rather they get it right.

With Worlds bids you're only looking at Level 5. With Summit, depending on the declaration, you're looking at all levels and brackets and who has what bids already. It's a daunting list when you take the size of an event like Cheersport or WSF even.

My sister's team last year found out on their team Facebook group the day after their season officially "ended". They got a passed down bid from February. I can honestly say it was just as exciting for them! I'm sure at the competition would have been awesome, but they were just excited to get the opportunity.

Long as they are getting it right I wouldn't be too upset about the bid reveal being the next day....

Funny story from this weekend

The declaration at the comp we went to said the two highest scoring teams will receive the paids for the summit. And then the 8 at larges would be handed out between the levels with every grand champ guaranteed a bid. Ok great.

After day 1
We were grand champs in every level.
Our level 5 and level 3 were our highest scoring teams.

Day 2 happens and every team but my daughters hits 0.
So we knew they would stay the same since most were in lead by a lot ..

Anyways our levels 1&2 already went and we were given grand champs and at large bids.

Our levels 3,4,5 all go within an hour of each other and we find out our scores and they tell us the scores .. So we knew our level 3 and 5 had to be the highest two scores of the comp.

Level 3 awards happened and they give them an at large bid and the comp people specifically announce

"Just because you got an at large doesn't mean you won't upgrade to paid in the last awards. "

The coaches already sent out scores for everyone and we knew our level 3 and 5 outscored our level 4 even though they would all win their levels and they all had high scores.

So our senior 3 all stuck around till the last award ceremony ... Expecting to be upgraded to a paid bid.

They announce our level 5 as getting a paid ... And then they announce our level 4 as getting the second paid. Everyone from vipers was confused because we were already told scores and knew s3 outscored s4.

So our coaches went and talked to them the second the paids were announced and they said they did video review to determine who should get paid and the judges thought the s4 was a little better but it just didn't translate into their score since different judging panels judged the comp.

I mean both looked flawless but because our coaches and owners had already went over it with us, a lot of parents were mad from the level 3.
They aren't mad at the level 4 .. They are happy they all got bids but that was the difference in one team getting AL that per the declaration should of got paid,
And the other team that got paid would of got an AL.

We love the competition and we will go every season, and our owner is just happy we got the bids! And she is just happy of how great everyone performed.

But it sure does create parent drama and I'm sure she wishes she could change that. If it would of said that on the declaration then no one would care.. But I try to look at it from both sides .. If I was level 4 I would be thankful for the video review but I know I would be a little sad about the money if I was on s3!

I'm sure they will get paid at the next comp or something but I feel bad for both.

So all in all it would be nice to be reviewed for accuracy if I knew they were getting it right.

I can totally understand the mixed emotions...probably a good reason why many gyms don't discuss scoring with parents before and even after.

Speaking of coaches talking...one of the "most awkward" situations we experienced was when cp was on a new worlds team with an established program. Well known coach of another team from a different location of same program was very verbal in the men's room about his feelings if new team got paid versus his team...all the while an older brother of a teammate was right there hearing every word (and of course he told us all ;) )

Yes I see (& appreciate) that reasoning. I know the coaches got their scores on Sun so they had time to appeal a deduction or score before the bids were announced. I think that's fair. If our gym had an incorrect score I would appreciate being able to have it fixed before bids were announced. Judges are human and can make mistakes no matter how hard they try. I wish it was possible to have perfect scoring and let the kids get their announcement on stage, but that's not realistic.

I applaud teams that earn a paid or at large bid especially at big comps like WSF. Since only 1 paid & 2 at large bids were awarded per level. Those 3 teams had to beat out a boat load of teams for those bids. That's not an easy accomplishment.

Compared to the cost of the weekend, a paid bid doesn't save you all that much - Varsity's sheet says it's worth $370-550 depending on where you stay. That is better than nothing, but it still works out to a very expensive trip.

I didn't know this. I wasn't sure how much a paid bid to Summit was worth, but I was under the impression it was more money than this. I thought maybe the cost of the competition and the hotel. What exactly does a paid bid to Summit cover? (I apologize that I don't have time to do a search to find the answer. I'm at work and the last time I did a search on a subject, I spent several hours reading posts that went in many different directions, but never found the answer. lol. Thanks in advance.)

I didn't know this. I wasn't sure how much a paid bid to Summit was worth, but I was under the impression it was more money than this. I thought maybe the cost of the competition and the hotel. What exactly does a paid bid to Summit cover? (I apologize that I don't have time to do a search to find the answer. I'm at work and the last time I did a search on a subject, I spent several hours reading posts that went in many different directions, but never found the answer. lol. Thanks in advance.)

Registration fees for athletes and coach(s?) (including 3-day park hopper) and hotel for the team (4 per room).

Back