All-Star Too Small A Venue

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Question - does NCA for example offer the same kind of mandatory package for athletes that Worlds does? One that includes the hotel room, transportation from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the venue, as well as having a commuter option? Never having been to NCA I have no basis for comparison for the number of athletes/teams at NCA versus the same numbers at Worlds, but just trying to think of all the other things that would be necessary aside from just the facility that could better accomodate the growing size of Worlds. I'm sort of intrigued by the idea of Worlds being held in a different place each year but it's not just the facility that needs to be considered. Accomodations, ease of transportation, availability of places to eat that can accomodate large crowds all need to be taken into consideration as well.

Is there anyway the USASF will come on here and answer this question? Please move Worlds somewhere else. Somewhere that can safely, comfortably and affordable fit the spectators. Stop messing Worlds up.

Question - does NCA for example offer the same kind of mandatory package for athletes that Worlds does? One that includes the hotel room, transportation from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the venue, as well as having a commuter option?

I think this is a good point. NCA College Nationals, for example, are in Daytona Beach, but all the hotels that the teams stay at are right on the strip so you walk to the venue. Teams only have to arrange airport transfers. I guess most all-star competitions aren't like that, so theoretically you don't need to have the transportation, but I think it makes it a lot easier - especially for international teams.

Is there anyway the USASF will come on here and answer this question? Please move Worlds somewhere else. Somewhere that can safely, comfortably and affordable fit the spectators. Stop messing Worlds up.
I've been in similar committees and board meetings as BlueCat and I've expressed similar views.
I'm not saying that I agree but the arguement a that I've heard are that another venue would be difficult because of-
A) the timing of the event.
B) the size of the event meaning the arena fits more than a convention center. An arena would be necessary and no major arena that has an NBA contract will accommodate. A typical conv seats 3-4k people Hp seats 7-8 (idk exact #'s but its more than a typical conv center.
C) the ESPN contract
D) the Disney contract

Again, I'm not saying I agree just stating several issues. I am 100% in favor of relocating but I don't think it's as easy as we would all like for it to be.

I understand that Disney Parc for some people is a nice extra besides competing or just watching worlds.

But if there was a better place for Worlds to take place, i would travel there - even if that means not meeting Mickey, even if that means travelling to the north pole. :-D

The "European Open" are held in Disneyland Paris, spring next year there will be another big competition.

We competed there one time, only in groupstunt category and it was really expensive. I don't need a disney parc when going to a competition.

But i guess there are really big contracts for worlds and it will stay in disney parc for a couple of years (and will probablly get even more expensive for fans).

I've been in similar committees and board meetings as BlueCat and I've expressed similar views.
I'm not saying that I agree but the arguement a that I've heard are that another venue would be difficult because of-
A) the timing of the event - Can this be changed? Is there a specific reason that the event is the last weekend in April (being a relative newbie to the sport, it seems like this is just an inconvenient time for both US athletes AND international athletes.) There may be a very good reason for the timing, that's why I ask.
B) the size of the event meaning the arena fits more than a convention center. An arena would be necessary and no major arena that has an NBA contract will accommodate. A typical conv seats 3-4k people Hp seats 7-8 (idk exact #'s but its more than a typical conv center. What about a domed football stadium (maybe not the best location, but something like University of Phoenix Stadium in Arizona is fully climate controlled) since I agree that NBA / NHL arenas are probably out (based on the timing of the event) Or even a NCAA basketball arena? I would assume the cost for a large NFL stadium may be the limiting factor, but the University of Phoenix arena does host conventions / weddings. So maybe it isn't?
C) the ESPN contract - when does it expire / up for renewal?
D) the Disney contract - when does it expire / up for renewal?

Again, I'm not saying I agree just stating several issues. I am 100% in favor of relocating but I don't think it's as easy as we would all like for it to be.

Just to keep discussion going...I put questions above in blue. (Not necessarily directing at you, but open to anyone who may know the answers.)

I agree it probably won't be easy, and the first year in a new venue will probably require patience as issues get sorted, but long term, it is probably necessary.

Adopt the Varsity scoresheet as the universal standard for all divisions, including Worlds. (Most tried-and-true and vetted scoresheet at this point, not that I necessarily view it as intrinsically superior to the others.) <<As soon as feasible, this is replaced by the new universal scoresheet>>

Everyone starts in round 1. 1st round starts with at larges, partials, then paids, but random within those groups. Every other round is reverse order of rankings from previous rounds.

If division > 30 (prelims, semis, finals)
Top 20 (or top 1/2, whichever is larger) advance to semis
Top 10 advance to finals.

If division < 31 (prelims, finals)
Top 10 advance to finals

Address of gym plays absolutely no role whatsoever in determining any result. If you aren't one of the top 10 teams in the world, you don't get to place in the top 10.

Other changes:

In Field House: completely eliminate "VIP" area. Use that space for family/friends area which is standing-room-only and completely rotates out after every team. (You get to see YOUR team, but that is it.) Only coaches with a team IN THAT DIVISION or athletes from the performing team's gym (must be in uniform) can "cut" into that rotation. This is strictly enforced.

All scoresheets are released via PDF and google doc to everyone after every round. (comments redacted)

Awards held in another venue.

A massive social media venue is set up, with EXPERT & INTERESTING commentary provided live while each teams' performance is streamed live onto 3-4 massive screens. Let them have nearly free reign to say what they want, assuming it is family-friendly. Think of a cross between Monday Night Football, Mystery Science Theater 3000, & Perez Hilton.
Problem solved! #voteforBlueCat!

Since items C/D (ESPN and Disney Contract) are a bit out of our control (as the ESPN contract is part and parcel of the Disney one, which I'm assuming has a year limit), why not use this time to focus on the two we CAN change while we're stuck at Disney?

Timing of the Event- Like stated above, this just seems inconvenient for everyone to begin with. There are SO many events held at this time of year. Would pushing it up to the beginning of April help? Like the full-top uniform rule, give up until the end of the Disney contract to have people adjust the season. As of now, Worlds dates are listed through 2015, so I'm assuming it extends at least that long.

Location- We have at least 3 years to fix this, so scouting locations now makes the most sense. Adjusting the timing might make it easier to get a location, particularly one that can accommodate the growing number of people.

For high school nationals they have several "tents" why not build larger tents on the baseball fields ect. In WWOS? And you can as well use the Indiana jones theatre! They have more locations within disney they can expand to!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

For high school nationals they have several "tents" why not build larger tents on the baseball fields ect. In WWOS? And you can as well use the Indiana jones theatre! They have more locations within disney they can expand to!

Tents are for lower levels. You can't throw level 5 and 6 baskets in a tent.

And Indiana Jones requires admission to Hollywood Studios. It's obnoxiously expensive. Those aren't really solutions.

Well, I think the moral of the story is that USASF has to figure out a way to pare down the numbers of teams in attendance. We all know that the profit margin is a huge factor, it is a business, and the solution would have to involve reducing the number of athletes at Worlds, but still maintaining the cash flow coming in from somewhere else. Also, the additional event(s) would have to be comparable (not equivalent) to Worlds. For the "experience".
I think they need to have a cutoff date of giving out Worlds bids...perhaps by March 15th or the end of March. At the end of the season it seems like it's much easier to get a bid because everyone else going already has theirs.

I think they need to have a cutoff date of giving out Worlds bids...perhaps by March 15th or the end of March. At the end of the season it seems like it's much easier to get a bid because everyone else going already has theirs.

I don't know that it's easier to get a bid at the end of season. I've heard there are 18 teams going for bids at Sea to Sky this year, though it could only be a rumour. And it's pretty expensive to book 2 weeks out when you do get a last minute bid. Teams can use them for the next year though, which I believe a lot of European teams do.

From an International standpoint, it's crazy expensive to go to Orlando every year, and I feel having it in the same place "cheapens" the idea of Worlds. When I say we've qualified, my co-workers/friends ask where Worlds is being held. They don't understand why the competition isn't moved from country to country as with other sports. I'd love to see it moved at least around the US, if not to other countries as well. And I know that gets tricky when the majority of your athlete population in under 18 and in 1 country. Disney makes sense for that argument, but if they can't accommodate everyone, then it's time to move

i like the fact that worlds is in florida simply because i live in orlando and its been convenient to attend for the past few years. but im kinda surprised they havent tried moving it to california or something. theres plenty of large venue and sporting centers in cali, to have it there as well. maybe its because of all the amusement parks here in orlando compared to anyone else, offers more of an incentive to come or something, idk.

Tents are for lower levels. You can't throw level 5 and 6 baskets in a tent.

And Indiana Jones requires admission to Hollywood Studios. It's obnoxiously expensive. Those aren't really solutions.

Not to mention Indiana Jones is not set up for level 5 and 6 skills either. At UCA the solar glare in the morning was awful - half the mat was in bright sun and half was in dark shade. It would be downright dangerous for World's teams to compete there.

Would a lottery system work for spectators that don't have anyone competing? It would have to be done months in advance, and parents get priority before anyone else of course!

Back