All-Star Too Small A Venue

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

King

Is all about that bass
Staff member
FBOD:LLFB
Dec 4, 2009
If Worlds does continue to grow (and I believe it will) then the current venue situation is too small. The Milk House can only hold 5,000. As the fan base of people who go and watch and have no relation to teams anymore grows more people will go in at 8am when the doors open, take the seats for all day, and eliminate anywhere for parents and friends to watch. It is not that the fans are bad people, it is that the venue is too small and this has to be accounted for. I personally think it is wrong for a fan to take a seat from a mom BUT ALSO a mom to take a seat from a fan. So, what do we do? I was told many times by my USASF employees it is the people who attended the event who need to make their voice heard to the top level people. Like the rules things will not change unless there is a lot of people making their voice heard. Please contact and let it be known that a venue change is in order.

Amway Arena: http://www.orlandovenues.net/other_info_files/amway_arena.php

• 367,000 square feet overall
  • 17,740 concert seating (end stage)
  • 17,248 basketball seating
  • 15,924 Arena Football seating
  • 15,788 circus seating
  • 15,948 hockey seating
  • 16,882 ice show seating
  • 18,039 concert seating (center stage)
  • Upholstered seats
  • 26 sky boxes (included in above capacities)
  • Permanent ice floor (200' x 85')
  • Jet Ice Water System
  • Portable stage (60' x 40')
  • Maximum width - 110 feet
  • Vertical clearance - 90' 4"
  • Luxurious "Green Room"
  • Two star dressing rooms
  • Six performer dressing rooms
  • Five team dressing rooms
  • Stage power - 2400A, 3 phase 120/208V
  • On-site parking for 4,200 cars
  • Parking for 7,100 cars within a 4 block radius
  • Truck parking
  • In-house Video Production
  • Recording support
  • Merchandise distribution
  • Concession management
  • Catering services
  • Sound engineer
  • House electrician
  • In-house advertising agency
  • Box office services
  • Group sales program
  • MISL Orlando Sharks
  • Home of NBA's "Orlando Magic"
  • Home of Arena Football League's "Orlando Predators"
  • Computer ticket sales
  • Disabled accessible
  • Hearing impaired system
  • Air conditioned
  • In-house event staff

If Worlds does continue to grow (and I believe it will) then the current venue situation is too small. The Milk House can only hold 5,000. As the fan base of people who go and watch and have no relation to teams anymore grows more people will go in at 8am when the doors open, take the seats for all day, and eliminate anywhere for parents and friends to watch. It is not that the fans are bad people, it is that the venue is too small and this has to be accounted for. I personally think it is wrong for a fan to take a seat from a mom BUT ALSO a mom to take a seat from a fan. So, what do we do? I was told many times by my USASF employees it is the people who attended the event who need to make their voice heard to the top level people. Like the rules things will not change unless there is a lot of people making their voice heard. Please contact and let it be known that a venue change is in order.

King, who is a good person to address directly and what kind of contact information do you have? Is there a good address or email address that would be preferable to "get" to the right people? I could just go online and snag it from the site but I wasn't sure if it would get lost on some staffers desk rather than getting to the right folks.

What can you advise. I'm all about starting a letter writing campaign and can rally our parents that were there this weekend to weigh in if not sign off on the one I'll write.

Amway Arena:

• 367,000 square feet overall
  • 17,740 concert seating (end stage)
  • 17,248 basketball seating
  • 15,924 Arena Football seating
  • 15,788 circus seating
  • 15,948 hockey seating
  • 16,882 ice show seating
  • 18,039 concert seating (center stage)
  • Upholstered seats
  • 26 sky boxes (included in above capacities)
  • Permanent ice floor (200' x 85')
  • Jet Ice Water System
  • Portable stage (60' x 40')
  • Maximum width - 110 feet
  • Vertical clearance - 90' 4"
  • Luxurious "Green Room"
  • Two star dressing rooms
  • Six performer dressing rooms
  • Five team dressing rooms
  • Stage power - 2400A, 3 phase 120/208V
  • On-site parking for 4,200 cars
  • Parking for 7,100 cars within a 4 block radius
  • Truck parking
  • In-house Video Production
  • Recording support
  • Merchandise distribution
  • Concession management
  • Catering services
  • Sound engineer
  • House electrician
  • In-house advertising agency
  • Box office services
  • Group sales program
  • MISL Orlando Sharks
  • Home of NBA's "Orlando Magic"
  • Home of Arena Football League's "Orlando Predators"
  • Computer ticket sales
  • Disabled accessible
  • Hearing impaired system
  • Air conditioned
  • In-house event staff

This would be awesome! Skyboxes would be a great opportunity for USASF to "wine and dine" their big advertisers-comp them a skybox and they can use those spots to either give away to big clients, do a contest among their clients, or even a contest among fans (facebook or twitter are great ways to host a contest to win tickets).
They also have separate entrances for athletes and spectators. There are multiple entrances, so you don't get a "log jam" at the door.

From what I understand the USASF signed a multi-year contract with Disney World. I personally feel Worlds should be moved every couple years so it alleviates some of the strain on gyms and west coast ep's. How great does the ep make out that sends Top Gun compared to Cali? Dallas Cowboys Stadium already holds a number of cheer comps during the season and utilizes the jumbotron! Down the street is the Arlington Convention Center that can more then adequately hold dance teams.
The Anaheim Resort area in California can also hold an event of this size. Problem is I don't see USASF doing anything until either A. the after party gets so out of control something ends up on fire or B. someone actually gets physically injured inside or trying to get inside the Milkhouse.

The Amway Center is a beautiful venue but is in downtown Orlando - which is about a half hour drive from Disney with no traffic -I dont know transportation wise how that would work - but if there was some way to still use some kind of mass trasnportation to get teams there, and still have teams stay on site at Disney Hotels it could work. There would also be different food choices inside the arena- as there are resteraunts etc - and across the street also and in walking distance.
Closer to Disney is the Orange County Convention Center right off International Drive. But if they could make Amway work - that would be an amazing venue.

Genuine question I'm posing to you guys, and this is all out of curiosity.
Where would you suggest is the best place? Of course we could suggest a million arenas around the United States, some better suited than others, and we could come up with a million options to choose from, but when I was thinking about this, I thought of a couple things, and wanna know how you guys feel about my observations, and also if maybe some of the stuff is able to be sacrificed so more people can fit.
- 2 separate buildings: I know a lot of the largest arenas and such have more than one room that could accomodate a cheer floor and fans and everything, but would we run into the same problem that we do right now? One being far more desirable than the other, in turn less people going to the less desirable venue (even when such loved divisions as medium all girl, medium coed, and small all girl are in it)
- the money: Would any of these places cost more to hold the event at/would hotels cost more, in turn costing athletes and spectators alike more and probably deterring some from coming. (Also possibly making small competition companies less likely to give out paid bids)
- the experience ASIDE from competition: I have never personally been to Worlds, but I know for a LOT of people, the experience of walking around Disney, meeting other cheerleaders everywhere, that kinda thing is 1/2 the fun of being at Worlds. Is there a place that could offer that same type of experience for cheerleaders and fans alike? From what I know, most big venues are stuck in the middle of huge cities and are not ideal for that. I understand Cheersport and some other big competitions are held in big cities, but do they really cater to the same overall experience that Worlds does?
Those are the 3 things I was thinking about while in the shower yesterday (afterall, the best thinking does in fact happen in the shower), and thought I might see how you guys felt about them.

After mentioning this very problem this weekend (during the Milkhouse lock-down), I was able to have a nice conversation with an employee who opened my eyes to a few things. I am NOT sharing these details because I feel that Disney is the only place that can accommodate Worlds (I use the term accommodate loosely) but rather because there are some factors that came up that I had not and would not have otherwise considered when suggesting different venues.
1. Multiple arenas.
Yes, we all state that the Milkhouse is too small and doesn't accommodate enough of a crowd, but keep in mind that there are two other buildings (Josten's and Epcot) that house competing divisions and do not have the overcrowding problem.
2. Language Barriers
There are many Disney employees who speak a myriad of languages. For teams coming from another country, they can be accommodated at check in. You would NOT believe how many of these teams do not travel with a translator or a member who is fluent in English.
3. Transportation
While we all have our complaints with the speed and efficiency of Disney transportation, it does exist. How many places have this included where you can be shuttled from your hotel to the venue(s)?
4. On-site Dining Options
Yes, the Mouse robs you blind for an Apple, but there's no denying the number of on-site dining options or those that there is transportation provided to (i.e. Downtown Disney).
5. Alternate Entertainment
The variety of activities offered on-site, besides the fantastic cheerleading one can see, are something they consider for teams traveling far. More bang for their buck, I guess.

Again, I didn't share this to lead you to believe I agree that Disney is the best choice. Only to let you know what factors are apparently considered in making the choice as to where the event will be held.

When I pay $25 for a seat to spectate in, I want to spectate. Parents want to watch their kids. Competitors want to watch their competition. If USASF had not come up with forcing teams to leave and making their parents go with them to empty the Milkhouse, there would have been a riot. It was very hostile and tense outside as it was. Disney is a great destination. But I did not go to Disney to ride rides, I went to watch cheer. I would love it if the VIP section was eliminated. Maybe then the USASF would understand how bad it was.

1. Multiple arenas.

2. Language Barriers

3. Transportation

4. On-site Dining Options

5. Alternate Entertainment

Due to all these reasons and contracts, money etc I doubt worlds will move any time soon. However, I think the solution would be for Varsity/USASF to build their own cheer specific venue. One large enough to hold worlds and/or other cheer competitions throughout the year. They could build it with cheerleading in mind (not basketball or football or theater) and have the proper setup, warmup rooms, concessions etc. Since the USASF is now huge I dont think its a bad idea. They could build it in a logistically convient location and where are there are already hotels/dinning/ an airport close by.
Just a thought....

(and this wasn't my idea originally but I dont recall who said it first so kudos to whoever that was...)

ufomom said:
I would love it if the VIP section was eliminated. Maybe then the USASF would understand how bad it was.

This was something my sister and I said when we were being asked to leave since we didn't have a blood relative competing. Why don't the VIPs get up and offer their seats to the moms and dads? It would've been much easier to bring them into there than random seats in the Milkhouse.

This was something my sister and I said when we were being asked to leave since we didn't have a blood relative competing. Why don't the VIPs get up and offer their seats to the moms and dads? It would've been much easier to bring them into there than random seats in the Milkhouse.

I said the exact same thing to Level5Mom when they were asking us all to leave. Why can't they "set an example" with the big wigs and ask them to leave...

This was my first year attending. We were only spectators but like everyone else, we spent alot of money to get there. We were in line both days by 7am. I can assure you if my child was competing, I would have been there at 6am. It was a total hot mess and I was sooo unimpressed with the way the crowd was handled. And having the awards on the ballfield was horrible. It so took away from the moment. Why can't they have 1/2 of the finals and awards in the Milkhouse and the rest in Jostens?

Back