High School Tryout Season

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

The kids and parents don't know yet, so I'll go in detail after Wednesday.
Please keep us updated. I have posted about my story before about our mama AND daddy drama. Yeah, the dads got involved too and it was all because their princesses didn't make the Varsity squad. The original squad of 20 grew to 30 after the parents hired an attorney and filed a grievance with the school district. I am still bitter about it and it has been 3 years.

Please keep us updated. I have posted about my story before about our mama AND daddy drama. Yeah, the dads got involved too and it was all because their princesses didn't make the Varsity squad. The original squad of 20 grew to 30 after the parents hired an attorney and filed a grievance with the school district. I am still bitter about it and it has been 3 years.

Yuck.

I had a few really salty moms about girls who ended up not on Varsity or bumped to alternates.

But they calm down because they know that I know their kids don't have the skills or got outscored by younger, hungrier veterans.

Yuck.

I had a few really salty moms about girls who ended up not on Varsity or bumped to alternates.

But they calm down because they know that I know their kids don't have the skills or got outscored by younger, hungrier veterans.

I'm lucky that my school/district doesn't feed into the drama.

Two years ago I pulled a girl up from JV to Varsity at the start of the season. She didn't improve at all and when she tried out last year, she was placed on JV. Her mom called the school and they literally brushed her off, no big deal, coach has final say. So then she went to district, they also didn't do anything, and finally she tracked down the superintendent. His exact response, and I quote, was "well then just switch schools if you're this upset."

So she did, and I had one less crazy cheer mom to deal with.

What defense do the ADs/principals/superintendents use when they side with parents against the cheer coach when it comes to who makes the team? Do they ever override the football coaches and tell them who gets to play?

Before I was with my school I'm with now, a parent tried to sue the school b/c daughter didn't make Varsity Cheer... it got completely thrown out. As long as the child was given an equal opportunity to learn tryout criteria - (I.e. Workshop/Clinic) they can't do much

I just had my last High School Cheer tryouts because I'll be a senior this year :( It's bittersweet... At my school, the graduating seniors make up the tryout dance, causing it to get more complicated every year, and they also teach the dance and tryout cheer to all those who are trying out. On average, girls who make varsity have a back walkover. However, every year nearly half do not, because we simply do not have enough girls. Our varsity team grew by six this year, from 20 to 26. We try out in front of 3 of our 4 judges, not our head coach, and a group of coaches from all star gyms or surrounding schools. About half the Varsity team for next year will be seniors, and most of us have been together at least one year. However, three seniors got placed on JV, with better technique and even tumbling than some younger girls who made varsity. Is this a normal decision? I personally am not close to any of the girls, but it makes me sad that fellow seniors will not participate in our last year of friday night lights.

We are in green practices days up here and for the first time, we have almost squad round off back handsprings and five standing tucks, maybe 6 by tryouts. We typically have twelve on the floor so this is good.

We have some freshman with great potential to have back handsprings by the end of the year, some might make Varsity sideline because besides stunting they can keep up with the stunting and have the motions to survive. It's crazy because some have never cheered seriously and they are talented. It's like if they got the cheer bug early, they'd be rockstars.

What sucks is that while there are a lot of local options to take a cheer tumbling class in middle school/HS there are no cheer gyms that are in the district, so no stunting classes. Our MS are grounded so most girls get to us and have never stunted before, so our elite stunts have been weak for a while.

I don't see how parents can become THAT wrapped up in cheer, or any sport.

I don't want to get into too much since this is a public forum...

All of the girls that were cut from the team have now been allowed on, including some with behavior issues. Camp is optional, and I am not allowed to do comp try outs until August. I'm sure I will be back in fighting over my comp squad come August too.

I felt very supported until now, but I'm realizing that parents make threats and get what they want-whether or not it is best for the child. I'm totally baffled that a parent wants to set their child up for failure. But, I'm just a cheer coach, and I'm supposed to do what I'm told. I very seriously considered leaving, and I'm still not sure I am making the right choice by sticking around for this. It is what it is-we will see how it all shakes out.

All of the girls that were cut from the team have now been allowed on, including some with behavior issues. Camp is optional, and I am not allowed to do comp try outs until August. I'm sure I will be back in fighting over my comp squad come August too.

I felt very supported until now, but I'm realizing that parents make threats and get what they want-whether or not it is best for the child. I'm totally baffled that a parent wants to set their child up for failure. But, I'm just a cheer coach, and I'm supposed to do what I'm told. I very seriously considered leaving, and I'm still not sure I am making the right choice by sticking around for this. It is what it is-we will see how it all shakes out.

WOW! This is unbelievable and unfair to those girls who tried out and legit made the team. Why would a kid want to be a part of a team they don't truly belong on and will now be the kid who's mommy got them put on the team. The squad morale will probably suffer as a result and I don't blame you for wanting to walkaway. I hope you decide to stay just to finish the season and not leave those athletes who truly earned their spot.

WOW! This is unbelievable and unfair to those girls who tried out and legit made the team. Why would a kid want to be a part of a team they don't truly belong on and will now be the kid who's mommy got them put on the team. The squad morale will probably suffer as a result and I don't blame you for wanting to walkaway. I hope you decide to stay just to finish the season and not leave those athletes who truly earned their spot.

They are the only reason I'm staying. I had a GREAT group of kids, and they don't deserve that.

It took several months for the criticism of the 10 girls who didn't legitimately make the squad to die down. Tritter comments were especially cruel. A few of the girls still say that it was the worst experience of their high school years and it they had to do it over again, they wouldn't have participated.

What I find ironic is one of the dads that was the most vocal about the situation on Facebook, has posted several articles about how "millennial snowflakes demand participation trophies". I have to stop myself from calling him out for demanding that his "special snowflake" be put on a squad that she didn't actually make. She didn't even make the JV squad.

Ugh.

This is disgusting to me.

I am so sorry!

Back