All-Star Tryouts And Financial Agreements

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Thank goodness I fell down the rabbit hole into the cheer vortex unwittingly because had I known what I was getting myself into my CP would be an expert at ping pong right now. No drawers full of Nike Pros or closet full of old pairs of Infinity's. Ahhhh.....that would be the life.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

My daughter started doing sideline cheer when my son played football. One day I was approached by the director and asked if she could join the competition squad. I asked what the cost would be and and scoffed when she responded that it would be an additional $100. Hahahahahaha!!!!! Anyway, that number just kept multiplying and here I am six years later.

Some thoughts on "cheer is expensive" from the coaching end.

You have no idea how many parents I see saying that when their child has:

1. Pro shop items from the top 10 teams in every Worlds division.

2. Enough Fierce Bows to wear a different one every practice for an entire season.

3. Pros in 27 different colors.

4. Bags full of shirts, blankets, goodies from every major comp we attend.

5.Starbucks before and after every practice.

Even more funny, you're haggling over my private rate and your kid has all of the above.

Cheer is not cheap but there are easy ways to cut costs. Such as knowing what is needed vs. what your kid just wants.

Eh, I do lots of fundraising, so I don't worry too much. Her team costs $3500 and I made probably $6000 fundraising since September (working concessions and dragging my teenagers along to help). With the money I saved by her team not getting a Summit bid, I was able to pay for plane tickets to Texas, a week in a hotel, and SuperCAmp...in addition to a private lesson once a week. ☺️ With my non-fundraising money I'm able to treat her to some fun stuff at comps and from big gyms. (Ftr, I had already paid a bit before I started fundraising)

Monthly tuition is about $120. For the "bare minimum" family with 1 non-worlds cp you would pay the gym about $2500 a year for team practice & all of the other mandatory cheer fees. Travel expenses, classes, shoes, and any extra clothing/comp gifts are on top of that cost. We spent an additional $2000 in classes, clinics, and privates for that dang mental block. We have 3-4 overnight travel comps that are within driving distance if you want.

Eh, I do lots of fundraising, so I don't worry too much. Her team costs $3500 and I made probably $6000 fundraising since September (working concessions and dragging my teenagers along to help). With the money I saved by her team not getting a Summit bid, I was able to pay for plane tickets to Texas, a week in a hotel, and SuperCAmp...in addition to a private lesson once a week. ☺️ With my non-fundraising money I'm able to treat her to some fun stuff at comps and from big gyms. (Ftr, I had already paid a bit before I started fundraising)

I would kill to have such fundraising activity available. We had that at a different gym and it was great. We do have fundraising available but it's always selling items. My closest family lives two states away and I live in a town where it's illegal for kids to do door to door fundraising sales. Because of that, selling is not a very profitable fundraising method for us. I'm going to try something entirely new and unique this year so....we'll see how that goes.

I try not to even look at the all star bill! My husband said either to get a job or do some fundraising that they offer. I was lucky that even though my cp didn't do team last year, I was able to get a little head start.
One thing that I really like is the organization of the "paperwork" at our new facility. Comp fees are right there so that no one is surprised when all of a sudden your hit with a 1300.00 bill one month.
Looks like choreography and skill camp is around the 400-500.
HS cheerleader is about 500-600 max for the whole season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some thoughts on "cheer is expensive" from the coaching end.

You have no idea how many parents I see saying that when their child has:

1. Pro shop items from the top 10 teams in every Worlds division.

2. Enough Fierce Bows to wear a different one every practice for an entire season.

3. Pros in 27 different colors.

4. Bags full of shirts, blankets, goodies from every major comp we attend.

5.Starbucks before and after every practice.

Even more funny, you're haggling over my private rate and your kid has all of the above.

Cheer is not cheap but there are easy ways to cut costs. Such as knowing what is needed vs. what your kid just wants.
Amen! I hear moms in our gym saying the same thing, but her "Suzie" has a $50 custom sports bra on at the time. My kid is wearing either the required gym t-shirt or one of the dozens she got from a past comp.

I think a lot of the above is worth thinking about if you're shopping for gyms.

There are some gyms who have fewer fundraising opportunities because they are very much an "everyone just writes the check" gym. The families have no need for it or few people take advantage of it so it's more of a hassle for owners and coaches to organize.

Admittedly, the HS program I coach is like that. It's expensive, and I've set up fundraisers only for the parents to just well, pay for everything up front.

Amen! I hear moms in our gym saying the same thing, but her "Suzie" has a $50 custom sports bra on at the time. My kid is wearing either the required gym t-shirt or one of the dozens she got from a past comp.
On a totally not even closely related side note - You just retweeted me :p my identity is starting to be revealed! LOL

ETA: Assuming you have the same twitter name as your FB name!

What types of fundraisers do you guys do? That is alot of money made in less than a year (awesome btw though!)

Concessions! Century Link pays $85 a game for Sounders (for our booster's contract, anyway) and I've been bringing my two boys (they are 18 and 21...you have to be 18+, I figure it covers their living expenses to help me out), so each game puts $255 in my account. Seahawks games can pay $150 (I'm not sure the base pay, but we get a percentage of beer sales, too)! Also I worked most of the concerts at Key Arena. The pay is less there, but it adds up. I don't have a real job, so I have time to spare. I know NV and SE have boosters that work concessions, too.

Concessions are the BEST! Our gym participates in them, too. Overpriced beer = season paid.

And I'm seriously not exaggerating. I just added up my booster deposits and I've literally had $4924 put into my account and haven't been paid yet (it can take a while) for some games and Supercross.

Back