High School Uniforms

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 24, 2011
During the 1960s and the 1970s, cheerleading uniforms were very different compared to today. It usually consisted of sweaters, pleated skirts, knee-high socks, and saddle shoes. Today, uniforms consist of crop tops and shell tops, bodyliners, mini-skirts, ankle socks, and tennis shoes. Your thoughts?

Well style, whether in everyday clothes or athletic apparel, changes all of the time. If you look at other sports uniforms, they look nothing like they did in the 60-70s. Basketball now covers much more skin and football uniforms look different too.

Style is fluid, it has to change. Do I like the current skimpy, flashy costumes that overdose on mesh and rhinestones? Heck no. But fashions evolve and sports have to move with the times.

Well, some styles make a comeback after a while, maybe some teams will try to bring back some kind of a "vintage" look.

I prefer the classy high school or college look. I feel that all-star fashion is getting messy.

Definitely. Back in the 1990's and early 2000's, all-star uniforms looked just like regular high school/college uniforms. Today, all-star uniforms look rather glittery and skimpy IMO.

How did we come to this now? And why?

All-stars is supposed to be the best of the best but the only thing non cheerleader see is the uniform being too... there are so many words I could say!!! The respect comes with what people see...

How did we come to this now? And why?

All-stars is supposed to be the best of the best but the only thing non cheerleader see is the uniform being too... there are so many words I could say!!! The respect comes with what people see...
There are definitely some that are questionable but there are still a lot that look classy but have bit of flashiness for all star that sets them apart from high school and collegiate cheer.

I think the change to supportive cheer shoes is a positive. I am against crops for high school. I just don't think that it looks appropriate.

Well style, whether in everyday clothes or athletic apparel, changes all of the time. If you look at other sports uniforms, they look nothing like they did in the 60-70s. Basketball now covers much more skin and football uniforms look different too.
It is interesting that basketball uniforms show less skin now while cheer uniforms show more.

There are definitely some that are questionable but there are still a lot that look classy but have bit of flashiness for all star that sets them apart from high school and collegiate cheer.

I agree with you that some are questionnable. After that, I feel like it's a question of taste. There are some things I want from an uniform that we can agree or disagree on.

I agree with you that some are questionnable. After that, I feel like it's a question of taste. There are some things I want from an uniform that we can agree or disagree on.
I adore a pleated skirt with a more traditional shell. Varsity has some retro stuff that is so cute. It totally isn't to everyone's taste though.

I don't like lots of colors and braiding. It gets too busy and fussy, imo. But, I like a design on a uniform to follow around to the back of the uniform. So, if the front has some braiding on the skirt, it will continue all the way around. There are lots of uniforms that have completely plain backs with a busy front. Just no.

Styles are changing every year. I don't see anything wrong with change. However, there are some cheer uniforms that are looking a bit skimpy these days and that's what I don't like.

I could name one gym specifically that always has cute, unique uniforms. However, they always seem to have this over exaggerated sexual appeal to them and If I'm not mistaking, they were in an article one year because of their uniforms. I won't mention the name because I don't want to insult the gyms or members there. I just feel like you can have a cute uniform that's age appropriate that is "in-style", "up-to-date" and so on without being too sexual. I think that's the main issue we're having with uniforms these days.

I know that this is the High School cheer uniforms we're talking about :) I was just using all star as an example :)

Back