All-Star Unpopular Opinions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Make sure your kids/athletes have at least some sort of outlet and their entire being isn't cheerleading because I literally aged out and had no idea of who I was as a person, still don't frankly.

I have a college friend who was a competitive gymnast from K-12. To the point that she was homeschooled at varying points of her life. An injury ended her ability to pursue college gymnastics and she would regularly talk about not "knowing how to people" during freshman year. She was rather awkward when we first met because (admittedly) she really did not know life outside of the gym. She really did not know herself without it.

I have a college friend who was a competitive gymnast from K-12. To the point that she was homeschooled at varying points of her life. An injury ended her ability to pursue college gymnastics and she would regularly talk about not "knowing how to people" during freshman year. She was rather awkward when we first met because (admittedly) she really did not know life outside of the gym. She really did not know herself without it.

This is the sort of thing that worries me. I apologize but I may ramble a bit here.

I have absolutely no problem with all-star cheerleading. It absolutely gave me the outlet I need as a kid/teenager and it was always a safe space where I felt I could actually be and "act" like myself without fear of repercussion. I was "really flamboyant and absolutely worked out that dance" gave me praise as opposed to being told to stop being so girly and "man up"

When I came out to my family, I texted my coach(this was in 2008, never anything untowards. only had the number for privates or an "i'm running late to practice" text) that morning to let him know what was going on and when I walked into the gym that night I was showered with love, praise, and congratulations. I fully stand by saying that this sport saved my life.

But with that, comes loving something so much that you make your entire life about it. Torrance Shipman in Bring It On once said "I AM only cheerleading!" which I used to facetiously but it turned out to be an ugly truth.

I just want to make sure these athletes have other outlets; art, reading, working out, philanthropy, cooking, baking, LITERALLY ANYTHING ELSE! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE implore them to pursue other hobbies even if it's just like an hour a week. I'm almost positive it will help them down the road.

Just because your child is 7 years old and the star of the mini level 1 team doesn’t automatically mean they will be the star of the senior level 6 team one day. On the flip side just because your child is in the back or nuggets on that same team doesn’t mean they won’t one day be on a senior level 6 team. There is so much that goes into an athletes progression over the years that you never know what can happen.

Also, progression is not a race. Quality of skills is far more important than the rate a child attains them. So many talented athletes never reach their full potential due to injury or burn out from needing to move through the levels the quickest.

They're a monopoly.
Everyone goes on about how Varsity is a monopoly… but let’s be real- has anyone even come close to doing it better or even slightly REALLY different?! Nope
Every company tries to take a fraction of what the company does and then does a sub par or overly trendy fast faded version of it- nobody even tries to be a visionary about the “cheerleading” business besides Varsity.
Someone has to say it- Varsity IS the Amazon of cheerleading. Your one stop, all around, find it here, one size fits all, we’ve got that too, ahead of the game-but keeping it classic, you might not like me all the time- but you're gonna love me company.
Perfect, they are not- but it’s literally in their motto:
Varsity IS Cheerleading
They’re good at what they do

Feeling feisty on a Wednesday night so I'm gonna say something unpopular.... I find a certain southern state to have a gym that creates the most excellent tumblers but I nearly stop breathing when their "most elite" team even attempts a high to high because of the chance of them falling. Why not allocate some of that money into a coach that specializes in stunting?

Everyone goes on about how Varsity is a monopoly… but let’s be real- has anyone even come close to doing it better or even slightly REALLY different?! Nope
Every company tries to take a fraction of what the company does and then does a sub par or overly trendy fast faded version of it- nobody even tries to be a visionary about the “cheerleading” business besides Varsity.
Someone has to say it- Varsity IS the Amazon of cheerleading. Your one stop, all around, find it here, one size fits all, we’ve got that too, ahead of the game-but keeping it classic, you might not like me all the time- but you're gonna love me company.
Varsity IS Cheerleading
Varsity IS Cheerleading because they bought everyone else or put them out of business.

Varsity IS Cheerleading

Cheerleading lacks a real governing body that is independent and exists first and foremost for the good of the sport rather than profit. Other sports are run by actual governing bodies- USA Swimming, USA Track & Field, USA Gymnastics. USAG exists first and foremost to keep the sport of gymnastics in the US going- like, they’re not trying to get people to buy leotards, or sign up for camps, or Stay to Play, or have 1000 different competitions under 100 different event producers. I feel like they’re about GYMNASTICS. And cheerleading doesn’t have that. That’s why the monopolistic feel of Varsity is particularly worrisome. The overall concept of having all cheerleading competitions governed by one organization is a good one, but they should be run by something called USA Cheerleading, not a company trying first and foremost to sell uniforms and make money.

Last edited:
Maybe an unpopular opinion, maybe not…

I feel like there’s been an overall decline in tumbling ability in recent years, and it’s not just because we’re encouraging better technique and slower, proper progressions.

I think the creation of The Summit and allowing Non-Tumbling at Worlds has given athletes less incentive to work on their tumbling. There’s less urgency to start signing up Suzy for tumbling lessons by the time she’s 7, because Mom knows that down the road Suzy can easily get to Worlds without knowing how to tumble at all. Likewise, Suzy can get a big trip to Florida at the end of every year (Summit, ASW, whatever) without knowing how to tumble much either.

A decline in tumbling will slide Allstar closer and closer in resemblance to School cheer. And in that case, plenty of kids will choose School cheer instead because of how much less expensive it is.

Back