All-Star Usasf Cheer Age Grid ?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think if the junior age was raised by a year as well as the bottom senior age, you would see a lot more kids in that 12-14 year old bracket leaving cheer, especially in small gyms who encourage/require crossovers for their teams. That seems to be the magical burnout age (for all sports, not just cheer); as kids get more social, they want to do other activities and want to be able to see their non-cheer friends more, plus they have more and more schoolwork. I've always felt that if they continue cheering through 8th and 9th grade, they will stay until they age out of seniors or graduate high school and go to college. Cp was very happy to have aged out of juniors last year; she was ready to only do only one all-star team as well as school cheer. The appeal of just being on a senior team was very strong.

On the flip side, I do not have a problem with them raising the minimum ages for senior teams. Ten seems to be very young and perhaps it should be 12 for all senior teams regardless of the level.

I think if the junior age was raised by a year as well as the bottom senior age, you would see a lot more kids in that 12-14 year old bracket leaving cheer, especially in small gyms who encourage/require crossovers for their teams. That seems to be the magical burnout age (for all sports, not just cheer); as kids get more social, they want to do other activities and want to be able to see their non-cheer friends more, plus they have more and more schoolwork. I've always felt that if they continue cheering through 8th and 9th grade, they will stay until they age out of seniors or graduate high school and go to college. Cp was very happy to have aged out of juniors last year; she was ready to only do only one all-star team as well as school cheer. The appeal of just being on a senior team was very strong.

On the flip side, I do not have a problem with them raising the minimum ages for senior teams. Ten seems to be very young and perhaps it should be 12 for all senior teams regardless of the level.
What is the real difference between being on a junior team or senior team? I get senior 5 teams are eligible for Worlds but is there really such a difference between being on a junior 3 or senior 3 team? I'm genuinely curious, this my cp's first year cheering so I really don't know.

Since she only recently turned 8 and is 7 in "cheer years" I imagine any proposed changes will affect her, whether that is a good or bad thing remains to be seen I guess...

What is the real difference between being on a junior team or senior team? I get senior 5 teams are eligible for Worlds but is there really such a difference between being on a junior 3 or senior 3 team? I'm genuinely curious, this my cp's first year cheering so I really don't know.

Since she only recently turned 8 and is 7 in "cheer years" I imagine any proposed changes will affect her, whether that is a good or bad thing remains to be seen I guess...
The only two differences between junior 3 and senior 3 AFAIK is that the junior team has members aged 14 and under, while the senior team has members aged 10-18. Oh and that a senior team can wear cropped uniforms, while juniors have to wear full. It is just that some Susie's mums think that senior is higher, when they are doing the same skills. Also some children might not want kids that are much younger that them on a team, like a 14 year old with 8 year olds, or a 18 year old having to be around a 10 year old. Some parents might also be unsure about the age difference and the dynamic of the team. But yeah, skills wise there isn't a difference AFAIK.

The only two differences between junior 3 and senior 3 AFAIK is that the junior team has members aged 14 and under, while the senior team has members aged 10-18. Oh and that a senior team can wear cropped uniforms, while juniors have to wear full. It is just that some Susie's mums think that senior is higher, when they are doing the same skills. Also some children might not want kids that are much younger that them on a team, like a 14 year old with 8 year olds, or a 18 year old having to be around a 10 year old. Some parents might also be unsure about the age difference and the dynamic of the team. But yeah, skills wise there isn't a difference AFAIK.
AFAIK...had to think about that one for a minute.

The only other difference might be the maturity level of the dance. Otherwise yes, same skills.

Somebody posted upthread wondering why parents get hung up on Junior 2 v. Senior 2.

I have found that Junior v. Senior team same level tends to matter the most to FLYER PARENTS.

There is a perceived difference at times in the availability of flyer spots/flyer opportunities for younger kids on the Senior teams. Especially if the Senior teams tend to have younger flyers and HS aged bases.

Flyer parents and former flyer parents tend to think that their kid has a better chance of flying on the Senior team.

Let's say Suzy has been flying since Minis. She flew on Youth and for the first few years on Juniors.

Now, she is 11 and boom, here comes the GROWTH SPURT. She is now the TALLEST kid on Junior 2 and this year she's basing. Why? Because the incoming Junior kids are obviously smaller.

No good for Suzy. Your little Suzy has ALWAYS flown. Boo.

Then you look at the SENIOR 2 TEAM. You see kids Suzy's age flying.

You assume that if she is on the team with the older kids, she can continue flying (not taking skills into account but that's another thread.) So that is what you want and you see that there is a difference.

Last edited:
Somebody posted upthread wondering why parents get hung up on Junior 2 v. Senior 2.

I have found that Junior v. Senior team same level tends to matter the most to FLYER PARENTS.

There is a perceived difference at times in the availability of flyer spots/flyer opportunities for younger kids on the Senior teams. Especially if the Senior teams tend to have younger flyers and HS aged bases.

Flyer parents and former flyer parents tend to think that their kid has a better chance of flying on the Senior team.

Let's say Suzy has been flying since Minis. She flew on Youth and for the first few years on Juniors.

Now, she is 11 and boom, here comes the GROWTH SPURT. She is now the TALLEST kid on Junior 2 and this year she's basing. Why? Because the incoming Junior kids are obviously smaller.

You assume that if she is on the team with the older kids, she can continue flying (not taking skills into account but that's another thread.) So that is what you want and you see that there is a difference.
Every time I read something like this, I am so happy cp was always tall.

I don't understand why some parents want their daughter flying. What if they are a really good base/don't like flying/are not a good flyer. Isn't it better for the team if they base? Also wouldn't you rather have your child as a base that can partner stunt, or a flyer that needs a frontspot?

I don't understand why some parents want their daughter flying. What if they are a really good base/don't like flying/are not a good flyer. Isn't it better for the team if they base? Also wouldn't you rather have your child as a base that can partner stunt, or a flyer that needs a frontspot?
Because flyer's are the stars

Flyers aren't the stars if they are bad flyers and fall.

They're still the star ;p

If you look at most of the cheerlebrities, with the exception of the boys who are often great tumblers and get recognized that way, the girls are almost always a flyer in some capacity.

Personally, I don't care what my CP does as long as she's happy and safe. This year she's doing both but I'll admit she hates flying so the division she's in will likely be the only time she does it. She's tall and I can see basing/back spotting if she continues with the sport. So I wouldn't say it's all parents because some of them are realistic and down to earth, but a lot of parents aren't.

Also, the bases on the senior team have typically already gone through puberty so they are bigger and stronger and much more able to keep Suzy wet noodle up in the air despite her bent knees and poor form than their junior counterparts.

They're still the star ;p

If you look at most of the cheerlebrities, with the exception of the boys who are often great tumblers and get recognized that way, the girls are almost always a flyer in some capacity.

Personally, I don't care what my CP does as long as she's happy and safe. This year she's doing both but I'll admit she hates flying so the division she's in will likely be the only time she does it. She's tall and I can see basing/back spotting if she continues with the sport. So I wouldn't say it's all parents because some of them are realistic and down to earth, but a lot of parents aren't.

Exactly. I have never flown (okay, well for 5 minutes as a joke but never properly) but I am a backspot and I think I would prefer that over flying. I'm more the "quiet achiever" type and I don't think I would like everyone looking at me. My mum doesn't care what I do as long as it's the best position for me. My (ex) flyer (got changed last week)'s mum wanted her to fly and the coach wanted to give it a go because she knew the mum wouldn't be happy with the change (and also the child, we had her base once but she started sooking) but we changed her (the flyer) to front spot, the base to flyer and we got a new base. And it is working much better.

Back