All-Star Usasf Cheer Age Grid ?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

This happens all the time. I lost count of the times people have said junior is better than youth or senior is better than junior, even though it's the same level.
I would welcome well thought out rules in an attempt to move more kids back into their true age range.

At this point, CP may age out of junior without ever actually being on a junior team. She spent her last 2 youth eligible years on a senior team & I fear she will spend her remaining junior years on a sr team. I understand why - her skill level caused her to be combined with jr/sr aged kids to create a team. We've been lucky the sr kids have been great kids and the age difference hasn't posed a problem, but I'd like CP to be able to take the mat as a jr for at least one year. I was really sad she only competed one year as a true youth level athlete.

Well thank you :). I will agree there are too many flyordie moms, but in my experience, the age grid and the "Susie must be on a senior team" phenomenon happens across the board. Parents really do have the impression that divisions are as much an indication of progress and status as level is.
I hear you. My CP has the September birthday so she was impacted by the years (plural) they raised the senior 5 minimum age (and there were no junior 5 teams in our area...ironically one gym tried to put one together and as the girls looked around they realized every one of them was a flyer ;)!!!) She happily remained on the level 4 team (crossing to a junior 2 as well) until she was old enough to be on the only available 5 in the area. No regrets at all.

I've actually seen the opposite but to each their own. We all know flyer parents are evil.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

To be fair I think you have really talented kids in the flyer department and it seems that they've always done well with it (based on what you post and the talented teams they are on) and you also seem to be a laid back mom.

There are people whose kids are just not going to be career flyers. But they think that going to seniors will give them that opportunity.

Sidenote: Not exclusive to flyers, but I have also seen the "juniors is the BABY TEAM" issue as well that adds to the "must be on seniors" thing. Particularly true for gyms that have younger aged junior teams.

To be fair I think you have really talented kids in the flyer department and it seems that they've always done well with it (based on what you post and the talented teams they are on) and you also seem to be a laid back mom.

There are people whose kids are just not going to be career flyers. But they think that going to seniors will give them that opportunity.

Sidenote: Not exclusive to flyers, but I have also seen the "juniors is the BABY TEAM" issue as well that adds to the "must be on seniors" thing. Particularly true for gyms that have younger aged junior teams.
That was a big criteria for us when we changed to cp's current gym. We wanted her on a junior team (she was 11 turning 12 before August 31st at the time) and at a place where there were plenty of junior aged girls at a similar skill level who would eventually move up to seniors together.

I wonder if parents ever think that more then likely if their cp is "tall" as a junior they is will be tall as a senior. Yeah they'll be a "flyer" on that senior team for few years but I bet that like when they were on the junior team they'll soon be a base.

^^^And junior height is not always the best predictor of senior size.

I have seen girls be the tallest girl on Youth and most of Juniors consistently, then STOP growing at 4'11 and become the itty bitty on Seniors.

Conversely, I have seen kids be the teeniest tiniest flyer on Youth and then be almost 5'7 by the end of her last Junior season.

I can tell you that in middle school, I was the same height as most girls and even taller than some at 4'11. Then I stopped growing. With parents who are 5'9 and 5'7. Haha.

Sidenote: And that's why I am critical of folks who (for lack of better wording) typecast their kids in the role of "super fierce little flyer" on social media and such (with the college clinics, the youtube vids, etc.) and "future _____." Your kid is tiny now, but she's also 6! By the time she hits junior age, she may be the tallest kid on the team.

Last edited:
Sidenote: And that's why I am critical of folks who (for lack of better wording) typecast their kids in the role of "super fierce little flyer" on social media and such (with the college clinics, the youtube vids, etc.) and "future _____." Your kid is tiny now, but she's also 6! By the time she hits junior age, she may be the tallest kid on the team.

But that's logical and anyone with a social media account for their 6 year old cheerleader is not logical

T

Some Susies are very vocal about this and it drives me crazy :( Most times the truth is that majority of the younger girls have the most experience (competition and tumblewise) than their older peers. There is a reason why the younger girls were placed with an older aged team (especially at gyms that also have thriving youth teams). I always feel like screaming at Susie, "Trust in the coaches and you might be suprised at what the littles bring".

I would much rather have CP on a younger/age appropriate team than a senior team of the same skill level. Sadly, our area gyms don't seem to be able to offer age level teams for her skill level...and she's not an elite kid. I think the kids her age are either ahead of her or behind her in skill.

This right here....I've seen kids quit because their parents have enforced the "I'm a flyer forever" mentality. Just because they are small at 5 or 6 doesn't mean they will stay that way. It must be really hard for a kid to be built up as a future ___ only to be to tall by the time they are World's eligible.

My 11 year old 5'8" cp has been on senior teams (including R5) and is now on a J4 at a new gym. Almost every girl on that team has crazy good tumbling (trick fulls/doubles) but they are all between age 11-13. It's a great team and she loves being with girls her own age. They mesh so well because of it. Trust me.. She wants to be on a worlds team but she is enjoying the ride there! Keeping her loving the sport she has been doing since age 5 and not burning out is so critical for the next couple years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back