All-Star Usasf Proposed Rule Changes For 22-23

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

oncecoolcoachnowmom

Bestest Newbie '14
Mar 2, 2014
USASF proposed some rule changes for 22–23.

You can read them here:

https://usasfmain.s3.amazonaws.com/Rules/USASF_Cheer_Rules_Proposals_2022-23.pd

Notable proposed changes include:

*Change Senior Level 6 Worlds division sizes to Small 5-14, Medium 15-22, and Large23-30
*Proposal to change age calculation to age as of year end comp similar to ICU.
* Removal of Senior Open 6 divisions.
*Changes to allowed standing tumbling in Levels 1-5.
* Changes to running tumbling in a couple of lower levels.
* Proposal to allow rewind in senior level six division consistent with the IASF divisions.

There’s more and the document explains all of those in a lot more detail.

Last edited:
What are y’all’s thoughts about this? Honestly loving the idea of getting rid of senior open 6….we’ve gotta get rid of some divisions. I also love the idea of changing the size grid, I hope this would make more teams go large so we dont have u know…3 or 4 worlds teams in that division.

Also…
Isn’t the rule changes to standing tumbling. How it used to be a while ago?2 to tuck in level 3, 2 to lay in level 4, 2 to full in level 5, or am I just totally imagining that

not a fan of whip tucks being taken away from level 4 however….expecially if they are gonna now allow whip fulls in level 5…that part dosent make that much sense to me..

It makes sense with their reasonings to lower the number of athletes on a team for Worlds divisions to keep it consistent across all divisions. However, that same energy should be given across other divisions, such as the allowed male athletes on levels 1-5. Cali Black Jacks, a small senior coed level 4 team, had 8 (?) male athletes in the 20-21 season, but a small senior coed level 6 team can only have 5 male athletes? Why is this allowed?

Last edited:
It appears to me they are just starting to transition or align with the IASF rules. IASF has Open teams, IASF performs rewinds, and as far as team size, they are stating it would reduce injury, as well as, most gyms can't field teams that size, and while they don't mention it, the IASF only allows 30 max on the floor. They, also, ask the question from the link, "Should they align with IASF and ICU age grid calculation using the year end competition age instead?"

My question in regards to these rules is:

So if we allow BHS in level one, What team would be appropriate for kids who do not have BHS yet and are still very much true Level 1?

Prep team Level 1? Novice?

Or do you still put them on level one without a BHS?

I just feel like there’s no good entry point for athletes who are truthfully new to the sport at this point.

Also…
Isn’t the rule changes to standing tumbling. How it used to be a while ago?2 to tuck in level 3, 2 to lay in level 4, 2 to full in level 5, or am I just totally imagining that

not a fan of whip tucks being taken away from level 4 however….expecially if they are gonna now allow whip fulls in level 5…that part dosent make that much sense to me..
You could never two to tuck in level 3.

USASF proposed some rule changes for 22–23.

You can read them here:

https://usasfmain.s3.amazonaws.com/Rules/USASF_Cheer_Rules_Proposals_2022-23.pd

Notable proposed changes include:

*Change Senior Level 6 Worlds division sizes to Small 5-14, Medium 15-22, and Large23-30
*Proposal to change age calculation to age as of year end comp similar to ICU.
* Removal of Senior Open 6 divisions.
*Changes to allowed standing tumbling in Levels 1-5.
* Changes to running tumbling in a couple of lower levels.
* Proposal to allow rewind in senior level six division consistent with the IASF divisions.

There’s more and the document explains all of those in a lot more detail.
The way it reads, they would be getting rid of SO6 only, the coed senior open divisions would stay.

I am all for the size changes and have been saying that for years. Then we could go back to lower levels having a large, and not stopping at medium.

So if we allow BHS in level one, What team would be appropriate for kids who do not have BHS yet and are still very much true Level 1?

I just feel like there’s no good entry point for athletes who are truthfully new to the sport at this point.

Especially for older athletes. Unless you’re going to add NT lower divisions, you’re going to end up with older beginners nuggeted even on L1. If there is even a S1 for them.

Especially for older athletes. Unless you’re going to add NT lower divisions, you’re going to end up with older beginners nuggeted even on L1. If there is even a S1 for them.

My kids began AS prep at age 14 with no skills, started on a Sr. 1 with only a walkover, moved to a Sr. 2 the next year with a very solid janky bhs, and ended their last years on 4.2 with very solid level two and some level three skills, and I agree with both of you.

With that said, The Summit changed that dynamic after about the third year in existence. Most top teams at the Summit have full team elite on level skills with incredible technique, so it has been hit or miss if the beginner, especially older beginner, has had any level 1 team options for awhile now. Retired kid's gym held out for a few years continuing to have a mix of beginner to highly skilled tumblers on each level, but each year they became less competitive. Their old gym, now encourages most beginners to stay in tumble classes and tryout for prep in the Spring or they may make an Int'l team (if available) and they feel they have the potential to get or strengthen their technique on a skill. It's the new reality, most athletes often have one or two next level skills at tryouts, and about 5-7 years ago they would have easily made the higher level team, but not anymore. Lol, I remember my kids acting like a big scandal was going on when the competing level 2 team had a few athletes throwing standing tucks in warm ups, now these level 2 kids are all, "Hold my Hydro Flask....."

My kids began AS prep at age 14 with no skills, started on a Sr. 1 with only a walkover, moved to a Sr. 2 the next year with a very solid janky bhs, and ended their last years on 4.2 with very solid level two and some level three skills, and I agree with both of you.

With that said, The Summit changed that dynamic after about the third year in existence. Most top teams at the Summit have full team elite on level skills with incredible technique, so it has been hit or miss if the beginner, especially older beginner, has had any level 1 team options for awhile now. Retired kid's gym held out for a few years continuing to have a mix of beginner to highly skilled tumblers on each level, but each year they became less competitive. Their old gym, now encourages most beginners to stay in tumble classes and tryout for prep in the Spring or they may make an Int'l team (if available) and they feel they have the potential to get or strengthen their technique on a skill. It's the new reality, most athletes often have one or two next level skills at tryouts, and about 5-7 years ago they would have easily made the higher level team, but not anymore. Lol, I remember my kids acting like a big scandal was going on when the competing level 2 team had a few athletes throwing standing tucks in warm ups, now these level 2 kids are all, "Hold my Hydro Flask....."

Right. I mean in the age of not-Summit you could very much put “a new to cheer no tumbling” kiddo on S2. Not so much now.

IDK what to think about adding a BHS to level 1. Agreed with all the comments on no true beginner level anymore except for prep. Even prep is not always beginner friendly depending on how competitive the gym makes prep teams.

CP is getting so close to her BHS and hopefully finally moving up (after 8 seasons :confused:), if this goes through she's most likely stuck on level 1 again. Honestly have no idea how she'd react, she doesn't seem fazed by not gaining skills as fast as others, just by friends moving up without her. I guess this way not as many friends would move up as well.

Last edited:
For Worlds, I would get rid of far more divisions than just senior open. If they are going to make drastic changes (I consider basically eliminating the large division drastic), then I would prefer to see one size division and have it be 24 max with AG, SC and LC for both Senior 6 and International 6 and 7. 9 worlds divisions and then have something similar to the Champions Cup that NCA has for the NT divisions.
It will never happen, but one can dream that allstar cheer can be elite and competitive again :D

Last edited:
Back