OT Vacation Locations

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Going to San Francisco and Napa later this year. Any recommendations or things to stay away from?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
Some of my favorite things to do in SF are Haight St, AT&T Park, and Twin Peaks. Haight is basically the hippie district and it's a really cool glimpse at San Francisco culture and why the city is what it is. AT&T Park is fun if you like baseball (particularly the winningest team in baseball right now :D) and it's one of the most beautiful parks in the MLB, literally downtown and on the bay. Twin Peaks is just something I recommend stopping by. It's one of the highest points in the city and has a breathtaking panoramic view. Just make sure to go when it's not foggy.

And speaking of the fog, wear layers! Lots of people come to NorCal in the summer expecting all sunshine and beach weather, which is not the case. We definitely do have some beautiful weather in the summer but it's coupled with some foggy, cold days.

Also, if you're looking to save some money, here's a list of fun and cheap events that happen in the city: San Francisco Events & Things to Do | FunCheapSF.com

This is pretty much all I can think of but I'll ask my brother and if he has any recommendations I'll pm you! (He goes to school in SF)

Some of my favorite things to do in SF are Haight St, AT&T Park, and Twin Peaks. Haight is basically the hippie district and it's a really cool glimpse at San Francisco culture and why the city is what it is. AT&T Park is fun if you like baseball (particularly the winningest team in baseball right now :D) and it's one of the most beautiful parks in the MLB, literally downtown and on the bay. Twin Peaks is just something I recommend stopping by. It's one of the highest points in the city and has a breathtaking panoramic view. Just make sure to go when it's not foggy.

And speaking of the fog, wear layers! Lots of people come to NorCal in the summer expecting all sunshine and beach weather, which is not the case. We definitely do have some beautiful weather in the summer but it's coupled with some foggy, cold days.

Also, if you're looking to save some money, here's a list of fun and cheap events that happen in the city: San Francisco Events & Things to Do | FunCheapSF.com

This is pretty much all I can think of but I'll ask my brother and if he has any recommendations I'll pm you! (He goes to school in SF)
Awesome! Thanks so much. Planning to see a Giants and A's game, but that's all thats planned so far! If your brother has anything send it on over!

I have vowed never to go to the same place twice to ensure that I see more places. however, thus far, I would 200% return to Mykonos, Greece, Dubrovnik, Croatia, and Kotor, Montenegro. I agree with those that recommended going off the beaten path and immersing yourself in the culture.

I've essentially traveled all of Greece, hitting Athens and all of the things you're supposed to see.. but all of my favorite memories of Greece were in more remote locations. I believe we were in Corfu and somehow ended up at a family's home for lunch. they cooked for us, showed us the whole farm, and even shared some Ouzo and a whole lot of Greek dancing took place. ;) those are the things you will never, ever forget. Mykonos is just picture perfect. you can have a beach resort kind of trip or explore the city walking and shopping. its so quaint and beautiful. Santorini, of course, is exactly what you see in the post cards. same as Mykonos but Mykonos is much smaller and less busy with tourists. Corfu/Zakinthos/Rhodes/Crete/Xanthi/Skyros/Delos/Milos as well (probably some others i've forgotten?) so if you have any questions about Greece just ask! Athens was actually my least favorite, but i was there in the height of the country being in turmoil and there were riots left and right. so be sure to research current events before traveling!!

Dubrovnik - Croatia is just an awesome country and Dubrovnik has awesome nightlife so I'd recommend this trip for a younger crowd. David Guetta was performing at a club when i was there and it was just cool. a different side of the culture, but just as interesting and super fun!

Kotor - idk. most people i mention this city, or even country, to have never heard of it. there's just something about it to me. it's so majestic and beautiful.i'd go back just to stare at the landscape some more.

thanks to this thread, my travel bucket list is even longer now.

Actually, to see all of those countries, it's the best way to go. We would never be able to visit that many countries in that many weeks without being on a cruise, and the meals on the ship were inclusive, which is always a huge expense with traveling.
We climbed the leaning tower of Pisa, toured the acropolis, went to Olympic stadium in Athens, went to the Vatican, and toured Pompeii. My kids learned about all of that before they went so it was like hands-on learning.
I think we paid around $5,500 each person, all inclusive, plus our spending money. It was definitely a splurge.

Yeah, that's kind of expensive. I mean I knew it would be but I was being optimistic! Did you go through a travel agent or did it all by yourself?

I would do anything to vacay in Hawaii. I was SO close to going to school at HPU this year but I just can't afford it. Maybe next year ;)

I have vowed never to go to the same place twice to ensure that I see more places. however, thus far, I would 200% return to Mykonos, Greece, Dubrovnik, Croatia, and Kotor, Montenegro. I agree with those that recommended going off the beaten path and immersing yourself in the culture.

I've essentially traveled all of Greece, hitting Athens and all of the things you're supposed to see.. but all of my favorite memories of Greece were in more remote locations. I believe we were in Corfu and somehow ended up at a family's home for lunch. they cooked for us, showed us the whole farm, and even shared some Ouzo and a whole lot of Greek dancing took place. ;) those are the things you will never, ever forget. Mykonos is just picture perfect. you can have a beach resort kind of trip or explore the city walking and shopping. its so quaint and beautiful. Santorini, of course, is exactly what you see in the post cards. same as Mykonos but Mykonos is much smaller and less busy with tourists. Corfu/Zakinthos/Rhodes/Crete/Xanthi/Skyros/Delos/Milos as well (probably some others i've forgotten?) so if you have any questions about Greece just ask! Athens was actually my least favorite, but i was there in the height of the country being in turmoil and there were riots left and right. so be sure to research current events before traveling!!

Dubrovnik - Croatia is just an awesome country and Dubrovnik has awesome nightlife so I'd recommend this trip for a younger crowd. David Guetta was performing at a club when i was there and it was just cool. a different side of the culture, but just as interesting and super fun!

Kotor - idk. most people i mention this city, or even country, to have never heard of it. there's just something about it to me. it's so majestic and beautiful.i'd go back just to stare at the landscape some more.

My friend is Greek and gets to go to Greece every summer to stay with her grandma for a month. I'm so jealous of her - she has an excuse to travel to an amazing place! I wish I had relatives somewhere interesting. Boston and rural Massachusetts...

Do you have any advice for Athens? What did you like the most?

@youbetterwork (not letting me quote you for some reason!)

Yes! Definitely do all of the typical touristy things because there is so much history in the city! The whole Acropolis tour is worth it! I think it's an official tour but you start at the temple of Zeus and climb Acropolis to the Parthenon Temple. Theres also the temple of Nike and a beautiful museum. Also visit Keirikomos (? I definitely butchered the spelling and am drawing a blank on its name) but it's a gigantic, beautiful cemetery with statues and sculptures throughout. it also has its own museum. if you're into history it's quite possibly my favorite historical site (other than Ephesus.) East of the Acropolis there's this entire historical village with a bazaar that really is like traveling back in time. the whole area surrounding Acropolis is like a no car zone, so you can walk everywhere.

I think i was most surprised by how much "non-historical" things they had going on. Definitely hit up Ermou Street, which is just a fun strip of shopping and tons of cute cafes with any type of food you can think of and lots of fun bars. Melilitos restaurant was the best authentic Greek food I ever ate. Psiri is also a must-eat-at restaurant. in the same area there is also an awesome wine bar that i highly recommend if you enjoy wine!

I really don't think you can go wrong with any part of Greece. such a beautiful country.

I was scrolling to the end to suggest Iceland and see it was listed- wonderful wonderful destination! I also suggest Croatia- white, white beaches, blue waters and green hills- so pretty! Australia (pick anyplace- I LOVED everywhere) or Brazil- some of my favorite return to destinations! Long before CP was a glimmer in my eye I was lucky enough to live in Hungary and to travel the world (every continent thanks to an ice breaking trip off the tip of South America). The people I met became life long friends. I can visit pretty much anywhere now thanks to the network and have a place to stay. We also get to host people from all over and expand the kiddos horizons! Take those vacations- but try to go off the beaten path. Explore on you own. Meet the people. You will never regret it.

Yes for Croatia! I'm a quarter Croatian and I'd give anything to visit. My dad (who is half, duh) has been multiple times and said it's absolutely beautiful. I loved looking at pictures of it when I was little.

I just got back from Portugal a few days ago and I can honestly say it exceeded my expectations. The country is so beautiful, there is so much to see and do, the people there are lovely and the weather is perfect. I have already started planning to go back soon. I have also been to Spain, France, Germany and Belgium (as most Europeans have) but Portugal was by far my favourite country.

Back