All-Star Varsity Bought American Cheerleader Magazine?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Most of us don't have a say in what competitions we go to and where we buy our uniforms from though. We do however, have a say in what magazines we read.

As athletes, you're right. However, coaches/program directors do have choices though. Our gym attends 1 Varsity Brands event per year, and that's because it's one of the closest competitions to us. Based on some of the things that happened at our event this year, not results based either, we may not return next year. There was no water for athletes in warmup, no ice for an injured athlete, messing up warmup times for a team (@TwistersPride flipped out-it was pretty hilarious in hindsight), and legality "warnings" on our scoresheet for skills that were not illegal. I don't know that I want to return. We don't buy uniforms from them either.

As athletes, you're right. However, coaches/program directors do have choices though. Our gym attends 1 Varsity Brands event per year, and that's because it's one of the closest competitions to us. Based on some of the things that happened at our event this year, not results based either, we may not return next year. There was no water for athletes in warmup, no ice for an injured athlete, messing up warmup times for a team (@TwistersPride flipped out-it was pretty hilarious in hindsight), and legality "warnings" on our scoresheet for skills that were not illegal. I don't know that I want to return. We don't buy uniforms from them either.
You forgot the dangerous level of overcrowding in the venue during awards. When I have the EP's staff screaming at my Mini's, who are just trying to sit down on the mat for awards, I am not a happy team mom.

I wonder if their advertising will be the same? Or will only varsity brand be promoted?
Surely they will cover worthy non-varsity events?

I believe SI was bought out by varsity in 2005-6 and it has continued as SI.

Laying off the staff... Not cool.

The entire AC media department was laid off...correcting myself from earlier post.

You forgot the dangerous level of overcrowding in the venue during awards. When I have the EP's staff screaming at my Mini's, who are just trying to sit down on the mat for awards, I am not a happy team mom.

Totally forgot about that. There definitely wasn't enough room for all those teams. There should have been more than one awards session- then the teams could have actually enjoyed themselves during awards. Not to mention the fact that the staff spoke to coaches the same way back in warmup when it was them that messed up the schedule- not me. I won't even get into the way that I was spoken to by the judging coordinator...

Has anyone ever seen the Penn and Teller episode of "Bull (excrement)"* about cheerleading? It discusses Varsity's monopoly of the business and how they're impeding the development of the sport. It's pretty eye-opening.

*probably not an appropriate video for cheerleaders who are under 15 or 16

gofriars610 said:
Has anyone ever seen the Penn and Teller episode of "Bull (excrement)"* about cheerleading? It discusses Varsity's monopoly of the business and how they're impeding the development of the sport. It's pretty eye-opening.

*probably not an appropriate video for cheerleaders who are under 15 or 16

Yes

Bow Maker said:
I believe they were just recently bought out within the last couple of weeks. I remember seeing their logo as apart of JamBrands before.

I remember talking to our rep about it the year we switched from varsity to SI. Varsity bought out SI a few months after I'd placed my order. She knew I switched to get away from Varsity and was letting me know it was now a varsity brand company. Maybe things switched hands again since them.

How long till there's a class action lawsuit in which the judge declares Varsity a Monopoly and breaks them up? It'll be like Ma Bell all over again!

Pick the over/under: 18 months.
I give...2 years? Maybe 3. It would take a fair bit of steam to get that started..

How long till there's a class action lawsuit in which the judge declares Varsity a Monopoly and breaks them up? It'll be like Ma Bell all over again!

Pick the over/under: 18 months.

I was just about to say this. They are creating a monopoly using vertical and horizontal integration for their own personal gain. Buying a magazine so they could put their ads in it, another uniform manufacturer to take out their competition. I mean, Varsity is pretty much equivalent to USASF. It's just like in the 1800's when big business had a lot of say in the government and it led to a bunch of corruption.

Wow. Who knew that honors us history would help me in cheer?

Latest posts

Back