All-Star Varsity Brands For Sale?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

@Rusty posting this out here to move out of PM

When the investment looks like its going to diminish less returns and it is a good time to sell, why wouldn't they sell?

If Varsity were to disappear tomorrow there are plenty of alternatives for everyone to go to. If they were to start going down a completely dark and sinister path we would all leave Varsity comps for Jamfest and Cheersport. We would get our uniforms through GK and Spirit Innovations. And we would probably all start doing our camps at the local allstar gyms (wait, that is happening already). They have plenty of say in this industry, but we can't even get a scoresheet out before October, agree upon legalities half the time, and lord knows there are people at certain organizations who are not qualified to be there, but just never left cheer. If a community run message board has enough impact to cause changes they aren't as all powerful as some would like them to believe.

And I would so buy a Jeff Webb action figure

When the investment looks like its going to diminish less returns and it is a good time to sell, why wouldn't they sell?

If Varsity were to disappear tomorrow there are plenty of alternatives for everyone to go to. If they were to start going down a completely dark and sinister path we would all leave Varsity comps for Jamfest and Cheersport. We would get our uniforms through GK and Spirit Innovations. And we would probably all start doing our camps at the local allstar gyms (wait, that is happening already). They have plenty of say in this industry, but we can't even get a scoresheet out before October, agree upon legalities half the time, and lord knows there are people at certain organizations who are not qualified to be there, but just never left cheer. If a community run message board has enough impact to cause changes they aren't as all powerful as some would like them to believe.

I think this only holds true with All-star. If Varsity disappeared tomorrow, the majority of high schools in the country would be lost. They mainly go to NCA/UCA camps. Wear NCA/UCA uniforms. Get NCA/UCA choreographers. Attend NCA/UCA regionals. Attend NCA/UCA high school nationals. I would say the majority of high schools plan EVERYTHING off of varsity.

I think this only holds true with All-star. If Varsity disappeared tomorrow, the majority of high schools in the country would be lost. They mainly go to NCA/UCA camps. Wear NCA/UCA uniforms. Get NCA/UCA choreographers. Attend NCA/UCA regionals. Attend NCA/UCA high school nationals. I would say the majority of high schools plan EVERYTHING off of varsity.

Would they be lost? For a minute, maybe. But would WC then call every single high school in the area (and maybe some outside the area) and offer to do some camps? And there are a ton of other camps out there. I think what they know and go for would be different, but in the end theyd end up alright.

I agree “IF” VBI was traded publicly the transparency would be increased, but when you are more familiar with the methods for reporting incomes and losses one realizes transparency is hazy at best … just look at the transparency we have received from President Obama since his election!
What changes in the Cheer industry would you attribute to discussions on Fierce Board? (I’m just asking to gain perspective since I only joined the FB’s recently)
What stunt would the Jeff Webb action figure perform?

Could this be a move to remove a for profit company from the perposal for STUNTS by removing VBI?

I agree “IF” VBI was traded publicly the transparency would be increased, but when you are more familiar with the methods for reporting incomes and losses one realizes transparency is hazy at best … just look at the transparency we have received from President Obama since his election!
What changes in the Cheer industry would you attribute to discussions on Fierce Board? (I’m just asking to gain perspective since I only joined the FB’s recently)
What stunt would the Jeff Webb action figure perform?

Bwahahah, I am a Democrat ( closet Libertarian) and very pragmatic. Politics is a game and it hasn't been any less transparent since the last presidency.

Fierce Board allows public discourse almost instantly of everything that every cheer company does. It is not unique except that it was the first and it is the best run. If Fierce disappeared tomorrow there would be another forum that would pop up in a matter of weeks (happened last time with ProX). I could be wrong but it would actually be WAY worse for the cheer companies if Fierce went away and the message board went back to the Wild West versions that existed before it.

If you have seen the movie 'the Kings Speech' there is a great moment in the movie which I think of when talking about social media and cheerleading. The King has a speech impedement and one of the 'helpers' comments that it used to be so easy. A king could just walk out, wave his hand, and let the helpers do the rest. Now with radio people expect their King to be a leader.

While completely butchering that part of the movie, if you got my point it was that radio to that time period is what Fierce (and social media in general) is to cheerleading (and every business). The new way to operate is to engage, interact, and know that every single step you take as a company will be scrutinized publicly. Those who embrace it will succeed, those who do not will flounder. I can say it has helped Stingrays a lot be engaging people on Facebook, Twitter, and Fierce. CEA also does a very good job of embracing the public. Cheer Athletics as well. The more companies embrace what is social media (the ones who 'get it'... I am looking at you @ASCheerMan ) will be the ones who come out on top.

Rusty said:
Kingston; this is posted in both places to move that conversation to this thread, I'm still discovering leveraging the technology you have created, by the way you may not be richer ($) asa direct result of creating the FierceBoard, but the opportunity to explore various topics is very rich, ... Thank YOU!

I didn't say there was anything wrong with the sale especially when within Limited Partnerships such as "Leonard Green and Partners LP" are in the business of buying and selling investments which occurs all the time in unpredictable time frames. Each partnership develops a "Target Model" for their specific purchases with expected rates of return, businesses sectors they will consider, methods of adding value after acquisition, methods of dividing a company into component parts to be sold separately for greater value than the original investment, or other investment criteria and in the best ones when they will sell the investment based upon other criteria.

Buying &/or Selling is NOT unusual, my question is … “Why are they selling VBI?” Again, provided the RR Donnelley posting is accurate which leads to the second question, “How will this impact the current Cheer Industry?” Maybe after some of the above responses the question for many is “Do you believe it will have any effect?”

My experience, professionally and personally, has been change occurs during both purchases and sales the question will be for related groups to determine if the change is positive or negative for their business. Once again, I have experienced both, some things were better … others were not.Whether it is bad or good for the Cheer Industry will depend upon your particular point of view, I am asking

1. “What impact this type of announcement may have on the industry?”
2. “Why aren’t more people aware of the notice?”

Generally, this type of ownership change would generate volumes of heated conversations about the potential positive & negative impacts!

Ignore my math, do your own, but focus on the question!

"Why do so few people know about this?”
–Or the Corollary Question-
“Who does know about the RR Donnelley announcement?"

Follow that with, “What will change as a result of the sale of VBI?”

In 2003, VBI was taken Private for $130 million with a current price listing of @$360 million that is a gain of $230 million in 8 years assuming it sells in 2011 for $360 million. Let's face the fact that VBI is the 800-pound gorilla when we discuss Cheer and Cheer related activities. The Independents have successfully created business within Cheer sponsored Training and Competitions, and the front edge of producing quality uniforms in ever increasing numbers, but VBI had revenues in the area of @$1 billion last year. So what happens next?

Lmao, Varsity did not do 1 billion in revenues last year...Where do you come up with figures like that?

Answer: Varsity is a Privately Held Corporation therefore the following is provided by a company responsible for "estimating" private corporate values.

Thank you for holding my “feet to the fire” for accurate information it was a great question, seriously this was a good challenge! I knew the number but didn’t have a primary source for confirmation, now you & I both have the data.

http://start.cortera.com/company/research/k3r8lwm4m/varsity-brands-inc/
Cortera Company Profile For:
VARSITY BRANDS INC
6745 LENOX CENTER CT
MEMPHIS, TN 38115-4300 | view map
(901) 387-4370
Buy Detailed Profile $5.00 | view a sample www.leonardgreen.com
COMPANY DETAILS
Location Type: Branch
Industry: Investors, N.E.C.
Ownership: Private
Year Founded: 1989
Sales Range: Over $1,000,000,000
Employees: 1,000 to 2,000
Now that you have seen an independent source of data, any thoughts on the topic of VBI as the 800-pound gorilla in the Cheer World?

I don't wanna make myself sound important or anything. . .

If you become CEO, I would like to apply for the VP of common sense and occasional tactful ridicule

Done! You are great for keeping our feet solidly on the ground know as reality versus our Cheer World of creative physical performance.

Back