All-Star Varsity - "the Summit"

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

They did, but they wanted to make the "end of the year" competition more of an unforgettable experience for the athletes. They are looking into tying things they have done for the International All-Levels Championship (rings, virtual show, etc.) because those ideas have been successful.
So is this replacing IALC sort of like revamping it all or is this a separate event?
If the avg team has 24 kids that's 9600 athletes, plus parents and you'll probably have more parents due to the age of the kids milkhouse holds 5000.
They will probably use Jostens and the Milkhouse. Since this is taking place after worlds then the set up they are coming up with to help worlds 2013 will probably also be used for this event.

Right but you're not going to have every parent sticking around to watch the whole competition the way you would for the worlds level teams. You'll have much more parents/family watching their kids and then leaving to go to the parks. Especially the first year if these kids haven't been to Disney before.

Even if the parents/kids stick around to watch their whole division, there's way more divisions and way less teams per division. I just don't think we'll have the same spectator issues that worlds has.

As a parent I can say that I would stay at the comp, because when my kids were younger I didnt let them walk around without being supervised and when they were younger I was so much more interested in the younger divisions and loved being there all day, it was all so new to me. Believe me these parents will be so thrilled about the experience they'll stick around. Our 1 -4 parents are the ones that stick around and support all the teams all day.

You cant ever hope people leave or dont stick around as we experienced this year at Worlds.

The 5 defending champion teams don't exist anymore...so those gyms are getting partials for teams in that level?
And the level 1 winner was a mini team, but the specifically said it is for youth - senior teams.

I want to know how much the competition fees will be going up to cover the cost of this :confused:

However, I like where this is going. I think we can all agree that part of the push to get to level 5 as soon as possible is that athletes can go to Worlds. And in turn, we see some really questionable skills on the floor. I think that if the remaining levels have a comparable event (as this could be) that the push won't be as great. Combine that with a bigger emphasis on execution, and the lower levels could become really interesting over time.

I do have a question for Varsity: Will athletes who are on Worlds team eligible to compete at this event? I can already forsee a sandbagging disaster if so. I can think of one prime example from this past season that could become the norm if these things aren't taken care of now. Will crossovers be allowed? It doesn't just have to be level 5 athletes crossing to lower levels to be sandbagging.... These are the types of details that need to be ironed out before the season really starts, and preferably before rosters are etched in concrete.

UCA All-Star Nationals had 402 teams, according to their results. And probably not every team that gets a bid will attend, so this should be fine.

The issue at worlds wasn't necessarily the number of teams, it was the sheer number of non-family spectators. People who came to worlds with no team affiliation just to watch, who parked their butts in their seats from 8am to 8pm. And that just doesn't happen at any other competition to the extreme it does at worlds.

UCA All-Star Nationals had 402 teams, according to their results. And probably not every team that gets a bid will attend, so this should be fine.

The issue at worlds wasn't necessarily the number of teams, it was the sheer number of non-family spectators. People who came to worlds with no team affiliation just to watch, who parked their butts in their seats from 8am to 8pm. And that just doesn't happen at any other competition to the extreme it does at worlds.
Exactly. And UCA got to set up an additional air conditioned tent within the Wide World of Sports to accomadate the competition. I can imagine Varsity All Star doing the same thing.

As a parent I can say that I would stay at the comp, because when my kids were younger I didnt let them walk around without being supervised and when they were younger I was so much more interested in the younger divisions and loved being there all day, it was all so new to me. Believe me these parents will be so thrilled about the experience they'll stick around. Our 1 -4 parents are the ones that stick around and support all the teams all day.

You cant ever hope people leave or dont stick around as we experienced this year at Worlds.

Honestly, I don't think you can predict how this will work out. While you and others might choose to stay, there are likely just as many like me, that wouldn't. Unless our gym had teams in these other divisions, me and mine would spend our non-competing time enjoying the parks.

Also, not everyone in these divisions is "new." We're going into our 7th season. I may spend all day watching at a regular competition when there is nothing else to do. But if my choice is watching youth 1 (no offense to anyone intended, I have just seen my fair share) or going to the Magic Kingdom, Mickey wins.

So is this replacing IALC sort of like revamping it all or is this a separate event?

It'll be replacing IALC. Completely new concept & hopefully a better outcome. Real time, one event, one location, one overall national champion for all the athletes who deserve the recognition in Levels 1-4 & some 5.

Varsity Brands scoring, I assume? I know there was a scoring update for 2012-2013 regarding tumbling, the whole 75% thing that was highly discussed around here, but I don't see that the scoring for 2012-2013 has been posted on the Varsity All Star Website. Any idea when this might be available?

Varsity Brands scoring, I assume? I know there was a scoring update for 2012-2013 regarding tumbling, the whole 75% thing that was highly discussed around here, but I don't see that the scoring for 2012-2013 has been posted on the Varsity All Star Website. Any idea when this might be available?

I believe majority of the Event Producers for Varsity All Star met at the Gym Owners Conference in Vegas to finalize the updates. Justin has been working diligently on the project.

Back