All-Star Warmup Standards

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oh my, my team couldn't even do our pyramid because of that...and because the stunt area wasn't wide enough for any of our back-to-front transitions

That place is awful for cheer competitions! I hate when we have competitions there its just too small and not good warmups. Thank gosh we only usually go to GLCC in October there and thats it, and thats because we like to start out local and its only 10 minutes away from our gym.

JulieP said:
I can't wait for TwistersPride to post pictures from our venue today. Eeks. Not enough clearly in most of the warmup area for our J2 to throw baskets.

I saw them. It's dreadful.

We went to Xtreme in Racine, WI. It was supposed to be in West Allis (outside of Milwaukee) at the State Fair Exhibition Hall, but it got moved to Racine. The warmup conditions were less than stellar.

Most Xtreme Spirit ones are. Most of the time they dont even have water out.

We usually only do this one, and usually we haven't had any problems. The biggest problem we've had with them is running late, but they were on-time yesterday. We are going to their Dells competition this year too, so I guess we'll see!! :)

Im working on the pictures, but it boiled down to a thin, long room with low ceilings for most of warm up. There was an additional tumble strip in a different room that also was used for baskets (because the other room was too shory). There was no full warm up floor at all, and no water. It was the oddest warm up ive ever been in.

At American Masters this weekend in Baltimore, we had 7 minutes on each mat (3 panel, tumble and full floor). There was also a stretch mat, which they allowed you to use a few minutes before your 1st station. There was also water and bathrooms in the warmup room.

Here are a couple pics from the warm up this past weekend. The two pictures are in separate rooms.

w9d7gz.jpg

r94eog.jpg

Dang.... I am literally appalled at the tumbling strips.

CGAcheer because you have a small gym perspective what are your thoughts?

That is a competition I would probably be pulling a tuck instead of a full. You couldn't pay me to tumble on a tumbling strip like that. Coaches, do you get mad at your athletes if they don't throw something when your warm-up tumbling strips are down right scary?

Dang.... I am literally appalled at the tumbling strips.

CGAcheer because you have a small gym perspective what are your thoughts?

We're technically a large gym now ;) 105 kids.

Assuming you're referring to the picture above, it is odd that it is right up against the stage when there is obviously room for it to be away from it. That is just a very poor choice, that doesn't seem like it was necessarily related to venue constraints.

Other than that its hard to tell the actual length of the floor to make a judgement. If its 75 feet and ends at a wall, that is fine, if its less than 60 and running into a wall there are problems

Our last comp had 48ft, corner to corner is about 68.5. Some of our level 2's and 3's literally use about 64ft in their passes. We tried to not go to this particular comp because of the poor warm up(but ACDA cancelled on us) Its temporary facility due to the reconstruction of the convention center it is usually held at. Imagine a tent and trailer having a baby and you would get that facility, we were hitting the ceilings on the "stretch" mat, breaking our tumbling passes in half or doing them out of power hurdles and last year jumps would shake the warm up building and make the cd's skip. Its in our town, ran by great people and the convention center will be done by next year, but I need to work on them to convince them lengthen the tumbling strip

ok, so complete suggested minimum warm up standards-

Stunt mat- 12x42 6mins
Spring tumble strip- 12x66 6mins
Full size floor -42x54 4mins
with at least 3 feet of clearance around all mats.
a water station
and easily accessible medical personnel.
15 feet minimum clearance ceilings

anything short of that is a bad warm up and I would strongly consider not attending an even that didn't meet those standards

ok, so complete suggested minimum warm up standards-

Stunt mat- 12x42 6mins
Spring tumble strip- 12x66 6mins
Full size floor -42x54 4mins
with at least 3 feet of clearance around all mats.
a water station
and easily accessible medical personnel.
15 feet minimum clearance ceilings

anything short of that is a bad warm up and I would strongly consider not attending an even that didn't meet those standards

I have been considering all these requirements for a while... and there is one thing that concerns me. While all these requirements make complete sense I am concerned TOO many all at once will get voted down. So doing a little political thinking I have come up with this.

All warmups must be at least 15 minutes on mats meant for activity (this does not include stretching). That is the only suggestion I will make and have people vote on. I believe that can easily get the most support from other gyms AND have the most positive affect.

Latest posts

Back