All-Star Ways To Eliminate Sandbagging

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm not sure if taking this out of the mainstream thread was perhaps premature. We need thoughtful input like this and the strength in numbers that comes from the backing of a lot of 'customers'. Since moving the thread the 'views' have dropped significantly.

You're right! I should have kept it there. :)

The trending would be easier to implement, the system is basically already there, just has to be centralized. Then you could just track for a year or two and have real measurable and actionable information to move forward with.

If you centralize the registration process eps and gym owners would get on board because it would simplify their lives and save on costs, then that same registration can track the trends

You said more succinctly what I did at the same time. :)

You said more succinctly what I did at the same time. :)
I probably read more complexity into the original post than was warranted. Reading this version made more sense. I am very much in favor of a trending solution, if you really think it is possible to implement in a relatively short time. I think we need to move this thread back to the main Allstar thread to get more input from other readers. kingston, can you move the thread?

I probably read more complexity into the original post than was warranted. Reading this version made more sense. I am very much in favor of a trending solution, if you really think it is possible to implement in a relatively short time. I think we need to move this thread back to the main Allstar thread to get more input from other readers. kingston, can you move the thread?

Oh I think I was thinking too grandly when I first wrote it out (including stuff that this could eventually do.). I should have kept it to the core of the idea.

As a rec parent, I like this even for us too. Almost all of our comps are epic brands/jambrands, which pretty much means for each rec comp offered, comps are either mixed rec/school/all star or they offer days for both rec & allstar. If a EP hosts a USASF sanctioned event, for every comp that EP hosts every athlete must be USASF registered. This would also go a long way toward unifying cheerleading. We're playing by the same rules, at the same place, I'm ok with having to register. This wouldn't be dissimilar to USA Gymnastics requiring all athletes be members to compete at a sanctioned event.

As far as the barcodes go, all you need to read them is a smartphone with software. The software can be as cheap or expensive as you want, depends on how much functionality you want and who you get to write it.

I think (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) but coaches and parents are on board with the athlete membership plan set up by the USASF. I think the major problem is with the EP's.

IMO, Majority of them would rather make $$ than see this sport developed and respected. I honestly think if cheerleading would be changed to a sport, EP's would go out of business.

I think (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) but coaches and parents are on board with the athlete membership plan set up by the USASF. I think the major problem is with the EP's.

IMO, Majority of them would rather make $$ than see this sport developed and respected. I honestly think if cheerleading would be changed to a sport, EP's would go out of business.

That is the part that concerns me...we wonder who is "in charge" of this sport, and it appears to be the EPs. Some have even insinuated that the USASF = Varsity (or close to it.) That would certainly explain USASFs reluctance to make improvements suggested to get this sport respected (universal scoresheets, better and more accountable judging, etc.). (And don't get me wrong, I have nothing wrong with EPs or anyone making money on the sport, but not at a detriment to the sport itself.) I think there is still plenty of money to be made and still work to better the sport.

USASF is both EP's (not just Varsity) and coaches. I've been told 50/50 input by both, but I'm not sure so sure about that. I'd say the EP's are barking a little louder than coaches these days....But as Ceacoach said... It's time for a change in the industry.

USASF is both EP's (not just Varsity) and coaches. I've been told 50/50 input by both, but I'm not sure so sure about that. I'd say the EP's are barking a little louder than coaches these days....But as Ceacoach said... It's time for a change in the industry.
kingston made an interesting point which I didn't understand at first. Getting a universal scoresheet implemented would be a huge step in taking back control of your own sport. Right now, it's the tail wagging the dog. They 'the powers that be' need to understand you are all serious about regulating YOUR sport. Because not regulating it is killing it.

I don't know the politics of cheer, and I don't claim to know them. But I do know that the EPs are your vendor. If you want a universal scoresheet, you develop it, you get the majority of your peers to approve it and they still don't go along, boycott them. There is power in numbers. What would the big three do if you banded together and refused to bring your teams if they didn't use your universal scoresheet?

I know all programs aren't represented on the boards. But I will bet that there are enough programs represented here that could influence those in their geographical area that aren't. It would only take the biggest programs and a few medium-sized programs threatening to pull out to get their attention. Clearly you can't wait much longer for someone to do something.

The first of the price quotes (estimated) has come in. The price with baseline requirements below is $.85 per badge, using the following criteria.

·Color-coded badges (quoted price includes up to 8 different color badges, 1 specific color per level)
·Front of badge includes:
oPhoto
oLevel X (printed in large font)
oAthlete Name
oAthlete Birthday (?)
oProgram Name
·Dual-sided printed ID badge to insure the athlete level is visible from both sides.
·To reduce cost the back side would be printed in black ink only with just the Level number printed on that side. In other words, a green level badge would have all of the information you require on the front in color and on the back you would see the word GREEN printed in a large font in black ink only.
·We envision that a single program (gym) would be responsible for completing the spreadsheet for all of their athletes and submitting directly to the vendor, with payment. Used assumption that programs vary in size from 50 athletes to over 1000 athletes. This is acceptable to this particular vendor.

Quote #2. Better pricing and some assurance of being able to handle volumes, but no details confirming the product design to be what was requested or what level of processing this includes (i.e. what do we need to deliver to them).
Good afternoon Gina,
Thank you for your inquiry online regarding the registration cards for Allstar Cheerleaders. We handle orders of this size or larger all the time for a wide range of organizations around the world. We can handle the volume you require in the timeframe you require without issue. Pricing tiers are as follows;
150,000 cards .2063 per card $30,945.00 total
250,000 cards .1937 per card $48,425.00 total
400,000 cards .1825 per card $73,000.00 total

So, either way the actual cost of the badge is not cost prohibitive. :)

So, either way the actual cost of the badge is not cost prohibitive. :)
No, and more importantly USASF would need to commit virtually zero effort or funding to get these processed. There would be some publicity, perhaps design of a standard submission form (although I suspect that comes directly from the vendor). After that, how they and the programs decide the IDs are to be used determines what engagement USASF must have and how much time or effort they would need to contribute, if any.

No, and more importantly USASF would need to commit virtually zero effort or funding to get these processed. There would be some publicity, perhaps design of a standard submission form (although I suspect that comes directly from the vendor). After that, how they and the programs decide the IDs are to be used determines what engagement USASF must have and how much time or effort they would need to contribute, if any.

Okay, I may be totally misunderstanding your proposal here, but you're saying that each gym would submit its own information and photos for athletes directly to the card vendor, without the USASF working as a "clearinghouse" of sorts?

What would stop a team from submitting information for multiple cards for the same athlete, in various levels? What would stop a gym from submitting a purposefully falsified birthdate? I guess I don't really see how this proposal would stop cheaters.

Back