All-Star Ways To Eliminate Sandbagging

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Ok, I have been trying to think through this “trending” idea a bit more, to be able to summarize it for discussion. (Although now that I typed it up, it isn’t very “summarized.”)

Here is a brief summary of the key steps (and as I have been thinking this through, I have identified other benefits which can be discussed later.)

1. Before competition season, each gym creates and maintains a list of athletes, to include a benchmark “level” and date of birth. At this point, the level is just used as a guideline, it is not a set in stone credential.
2. Athlete list is submitted to the USASF (or ??) who then assigns a registration ID number and a ID / shoe tag per athlete. (Perhaps age verification can occur here as well.)
3. Event Producers register their events with USASF to receive event ID numbers.
4. Gym registers athletes for events, assigning them to a team # / division #. (It can be built in at this point that a gym cannot register an athlete who is age ineligible for said team.)
5. At some interval to be determined, system reviews by athlete the divisions registered for to that point. Depending on “athlete exception” criteria set, if an athlete has no exceptions, nothing happens. If “athlete exception” criteria are met, the next step is to look at that particular team. If “team exception” criteria are met (athlete appears to be a fill in) nothing happens. If the team appears to meet some sandbag criteria, the exception is sent for “human review.”
6. On the event day, to enter warm ups (or at some other defined point), athletes ID card / shoe tags are scanned and compared against team registration list. (Somehow, a photo must either be reviewed, or at the least randomly checked to prevent / deter athletes from borrowing cards. Unless photos are put on the cards (with no identifying information)

At this point, the basics of sandbagging are addressed, and the following could be additional benefits to the system.

7. EP records scores (one score, or detailed), placement, and if applicable, bid assignment for each team / division. This would enable the following:
a. Track team record in order to enable a team that is not performing well at level x to drop to level x-1 without issue.
b. Track bids assigned (and accepted / declined.)

Next Steps:
A. Develop “athlete exception criteria” – need to define what would trigger an exception. For example, if athlete A is competing level 4 most of the year, but then registers for a level 2 team. This step just to send athletes to the next level of review, not necessarily an outright exception.
B. Develop “team exception” criteria – would need to define what creates a team exception. For example, continuing from above, review the level 2 team to see it’s makeup. If Athlete A is the only “out of level” athlete, or the team is within a defined percentage of level athletes, than no exception is noted. If the remainder of the team is largely out of level than it is noted for human review.
C. Determine consequence if team is decided to be largely out of level (can gym fix before being penalized, an immediate penalty, or team/gym is not eligible to register for the event.)
D. Determine if EPs will also be held accountable, should an out of level team still be allowed to compete.

OK, I think that is it in a nutshell! Fire away with questions, comments, concerns!

I think this is the best system, I personally can't think of a way to work around it, short of just sandbagging from the beginning of the season with no crossovers. It would also kind of show kids that are crossing up vs. crossing down. People get upset when the see the kid go from the floor with Sr 4 straight to Jr 2 but what they might not realize that it was a Jr 2 kid filling in on Sr 4.

I think its great, just need to have the various parameters agreed upon and it will be good to go

Ok, I have been trying to think through this “trending” idea a bit more, to be able to summarize it for discussion. (Although now that I typed it up, it isn’t very “summarized.”)

Here is a brief summary of the key steps (and as I have been thinking this through, I have identified other benefits which can be discussed later.)

1. Before competition season, each gym creates and maintains a list of athletes, to include a benchmark “level” and date of birth. At this point, the level is just used as a guideline, it is not a set in stone credential.
2. Athlete list is submitted to the USASF (or ??) who then assigns a registration ID number and a ID / shoe tag per athlete. (Perhaps age verification can occur here as well.)
3. Event Producers register their events with USASF to receive event ID numbers.
4. Gym registers athletes for events, assigning them to a team # / division #. (It can be built in at this point that a gym cannot register an athlete who is age ineligible for said team.)
5. At some interval to be determined, system reviews by athlete the divisions registered for to that point. Depending on “athlete exception” criteria set, if an athlete has no exceptions, nothing happens. If “athlete exception” criteria are met, the next step is to look at that particular team. If “team exception” criteria are met (athlete appears to be a fill in) nothing happens. If the team appears to meet some sandbag criteria, the exception is sent for “human review.”
6. On the event day, to enter warm ups (or at some other defined point), athletes ID card / shoe tags are scanned and compared against team registration list. (Somehow, a photo must either be reviewed, or at the least randomly checked to prevent / deter athletes from borrowing cards. Unless photos are put on the cards (with no identifying information)

At this point, the basics of sandbagging are addressed, and the following could be additional benefits to the system.

7. EP records scores (one score, or detailed), placement, and if applicable, bid assignment for each team / division. This would enable the following:
a. Track team record in order to enable a team that is not performing well at level x to drop to level x-1 without issue.
b. Track bids assigned (and accepted / declined.)

Next Steps:
A. Develop “athlete exception criteria” – need to define what would trigger an exception. For example, if athlete A is competing level 4 most of the year, but then registers for a level 2 team. This step just to send athletes to the next level of review, not necessarily an outright exception.
B. Develop “team exception” criteria – would need to define what creates a team exception. For example, continuing from above, review the level 2 team to see it’s makeup. If Athlete A is the only “out of level” athlete, or the team is within a defined percentage of level athletes, than no exception is noted. If the remainder of the team is largely out of level than it is noted for human review.
C. Determine consequence if team is decided to be largely out of level (can gym fix before being penalized, an immediate penalty, or team/gym is not eligible to register for the event.)
D. Determine if EPs will also be held accountable, should an out of level team still be allowed to compete.

OK, I think that is it in a nutshell! Fire away with questions, comments, concerns!
Thank you!!! Still looking for someone to give me the rough number of athletes competing under USASF guidelines so that I can get a costing proposal for color-coded ID badges w/photo. The RFP is about to expire and I will have to start the process all over if I don't get this soon. Like yesterday.

Thank you!!! Still looking for someone to give me the rough number of athletes competing under USASF guidelines so that I can get a costing proposal for color-coded ID badges w/photo. The RFP is about to expire and I will have to start the process all over if I don't get this soon. Like yesterday.

If I had to guess for you I would say 350,000 ish

Avg gym size is 70 ish guessing about 500 gyms maybe. Which is only 10 per state which may be an underestimate

So maybe closer to 500,000

Avg gym size is 70 ish guessing about 500 gyms maybe. Which is only 10 per state which may be an underestimate

So maybe closer to 500,000
They offer tiered pricing in most cases, so I will ask for the range 250,000 to 500,000 and see what they come back with. Thanks again. I suspected it was a large number, but this was a real eye-opener. :)

That works if the athlete wants to be on a 4.2 team. From what I can tell, tumbling skill defines an athlete's level more than any other area, e.g Level 3 Allstars advertise tryouts and say you must have minimum roundoff back tuck to come. They don't say you must have a toe touch basket (for example). So the athlete you specified had an average of 3.75 which you rounded up to 4. Apart from 4.2 (which not all gyms have) the cheerleader's tumbling only makes them eligible for level 2. But if they can only go +/-1 from their credentialled level, they are not allowed to compete level 2. Or have I missed something? I imagine there are lot of athletes whose stunting ability would pull up their average.

If you compare the 4.2 analysis, it's different from the other one. I only took into consideration the average of the 4 skill categories that are level-specific- stunts, tosses, running tumbling, standing tumbling.... which would not be as inclusive as the athlete's USASF credentialing, which in my model includes jumps and dance skills. My thought with the 4.2 thing would be that IF a gym were putting together a 4.2, they would defer to that number, rather than the USASF number. Yes?

I think this is great! The one thing it doesn't cover is how the kids get leveled in the first place, in which case, defer to my prior example lol;)

There could also eventually be a mobile phone app for making last minute roster changes in the event of a last minute injury, etc.

And perhaps, not to cloud this issue, but eventually this mobile app could incorporate the routine "script" being discussed in the thread about a video difficulty judge.

I have submitted about a dozen requests for bids, using the following as a DRAFT template. Features being;
  • Name
  • Program Name
  • Level declaration
  • Color-coded by level, colors clearly visible - intent being to leverage athlete (well-deserved) egos and discourage declaring to a lower level. Hmmm, also might be an incentive to work harder and move up? ;)
Note, this is by NO MEANS the best or only design option. This was created as a mock-up for pricing only, just containing the elements we needed. Is it missing anything?

PHOTOIDSAMPLEX.png

I have submitted about a dozen requests for bids, using the following as a DRAFT template. Features being;
  • Name
  • Program Name
  • Level declaration
  • Color-coded by level, colors clearly visible - intent being to leverage athlete (well-deserved) egos and discourage declaring to a lower level. Hmmm, also might be an incentive to work harder and move up? ;)
Note, this is by NO MEANS the best or only design option. This was created as a mock-up for pricing only, just containing the elements we needed. Is it missing anything?

PHOTOIDSAMPLEX.png

Is there a way to add a bar code/similarly-scannable design, so that these can be linked to a central database to check their authenticity and verify ages and levels? If that is too complex (since competitions would all have to have scanning equipment and access to the database to implement this) can you add the athlete's birth date? And what else can be used to verify authenticity? These don't seem too difficult to fake.

Is there a way to add a bar code/similarly-scannable design, so that these can be linked to a central database to check their authenticity and verify ages and levels? If that is too complex (since competitions would all have to have scanning equipment and access to the database to implement this) can you add the athlete's birth date? And what else can be used to verify authenticity? These don't seem too difficult to fake.
Bar codes can be added. Two things to consider in regard to that; 1) Every EP would need a reader and they are expensive. 2) The price goes up significantly once you start adding digital data to the card. My concern with this....the more complex this gets, the more the cost to build and maintain the process and the less likely we will get it approved. Of course, it will eventually be the parents that get stuck paying for this.

The database would not be as much of a challenge, the master would be created by the card supplier as part of the encoding process and hosted by either them (doubtful) or USASF. The EP would need to download a current version some time just before the event and have it accessible to the card reader.

I am waiting for requirements back on the photo. I'm sure there will be some standard sizing required for that too. I already know it can't be a file more than 200kb and must be a certain size. A couple of the vendors clearly state that if they have to resize the photo the quality degrades significantly.

There are options for holographic image overlays, to prevent fakes. That is probably less expensive. I will ask about that.

Back