We Don't Do That In Cheer.....sorry

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My mom thinks that taking gymnastics tumbling will help me become a better tumbler

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

It will. I know you posted somewhere that you're 12 or 13. The people who are responding to this thread who are telling you that, generally, learning to tumble the "gymnastics way" with proper progressions and concentration on perfecting skills is going to help you more in the long run than learning things the "cheer way" where you're learning the next skill as soon as you're barely chucking a skill on your own are people who KNOW what they're talking about. Chucking skills isn't fierce. It's not pretty. It's scary. Just because you can physically do some form of tuck or layout doesn't mean you should be competing it or moving on to the next skill. Slow down. You have the opportunity to learn how to do things correctly, take it. In a few years when you have beautiful, effortless doubles, thank everyone that told you to stick with what you're doing right now.

It will. I know you posted somewhere that you're 12 or 13. The people who are responding to this thread who are telling you that, generally, learning to tumble the "gymnastics way" with proper progressions and concentration on perfecting skills is going to help you more in the long run than learning things the "cheer way" where you're learning the next skill as soon as you're barely chucking a skill on your own are people who KNOW what they're talking about. Chucking skills isn't fierce. It's not pretty. It's scary. Just because you can physically do some form of tuck or layout doesn't mean you should be competing it or moving on to the next skill. Slow down. You have the opportunity to learn how to do things correctly, take it. In a few years when you have beautiful, effortless doubles, thank everyone that told you to stick with what you're doing right now.
Thank you so much for that great advice!

Unfortunately cheerleading has the reputation of focusing on the "product" not the "process" when it comes to tumbling. More emphasis is put on if you throw the skill, not how well, or safely you do it.

It's a reputation the industry has been trying to fight off with recent attempts such as technique scores as well as difficulty. But you know what they say "old habits die hard"

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fierce Board mobile app

Unfortunately cheerleading has the reputation of focusing on the "product" not the "process" when it comes to tumbling. More emphasis is put on if you throw the skill, not how well, or safely you do it.

It's a reputation the industry has been trying to fight off with recent attempts such as technique scores as well as difficulty. But you know what they say "old habits die hard"

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fierce Board mobile app
Yep

No. My coach does not teach me to "chuck it". I don't pay him to teach me to throw janky tumbling.

I don't think that it was meant to be that way, I just tend to agree that when learning the gymnastics way, the progressions take more time and they are more strict, so typically even the smallest break in form will stop a gymnastics instructor from progressing you forward while a cheer tumble instructor may let it slide.

I don't think that it was meant to be that way, I just tend to agree that when learning the gymnastics way, the progressions take more time and they are more strict, so typically even the smallest break in form will stop a gymnastics instructor from progressing you forward while a cheer tumble instructor may let it slide.
That may be true for a lot of cheer coaches but I know mine does not let things like that slide. He teaches good technique even though he is a cheerleading tumbling coach.

It always bugs me when people are like "oh I hate gymnastic tumbling coaches, cuz they are all about technique and in cheer you just have to chuck it"
I don't know about anyone else, but I'd rather have technique and then be able to perform my skills then just chuck it and have it be ugly looking. Yes it's annoying because they want you to be perfect before moving on but in the long run it's worth it. I wish I would have taken more tumbling classes at a gymnastics gym so my tumbling would be as beautiful as my former gymnast teammate.

Not pointing that at any person on here; I just keep hearing people I talk to say that they don't like gymnast tumbling coaches.

Back