Weird Backwalkover

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 2, 2014
I have a student who has just started a BWO. She was close to a back bend kickover and really wants to try out for level 1 in a month (and she's stronger and bigger than our other girls, which would make her an important base or back) so I let her try a few bwos. She started well and was really pulling herself over (the momentum helped her) and I thought if she continued progressing at the rate she was she'd have it for tryouts and could start working front walkovers. Then, on her second week of privates I did nothing different with spotting her, but she started bailing going back and would like twist over onto the floor... then she would still go over. It's so weird. I told her the usual, look at your hands, pull your chin in going over, don't turn your hips... but she's still doing it even with a spot. Does anyone have anything I can tell her or do different with her?

Is she shifting the weight from her feet to her hands? I knew a girl that used to fall a lot because all the weight was still in her feet and it looked like a painful landing on her back. Do you have a barrel in your gym? Those helped me years ago. Another reason may be that shes kicking her leg up to hard and its making her lose balance?

What side are you spotting on? Does she rotate away from you? If so I would spot on the other side so she is blocked from twisting that way.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

One of the girls I know used to know could do like six BWOs in a row and would always land the last one like you described; she said that near the end she would get dizzy and would put more weight on one side than the other...maybe that's it? She might be anticipating it too much when bending backwards and the having uneven weight distribution on her hands, making the kick over bit wonky. Does she place her hands correctly when going over, and if so, when/does her torso/hips become twisted? Also, is she spotting the walkover with her eyes, because if she's not looking in the right spot, this can really throw off the backwalkover. Hope this helped!

UPDATE: The girl came back for a private tonight and it started off rough. I figured out though, that she was kicking her back leg out to the side in an effort to get over and it was making her twist that way. So I told her to not on her legs, but on locking her arms and placing her weight evenly on her hands, and to let her legs do what felt natural. It fixed it! She even said she felt so much better doing it. She still kicks her leg over occasionally, but I think she'll definitely be doing BWOs by team tryouts. Thanks everyone for your suggestions, and for making me look at it more objectively!

I had a cheerleader who would do the same thing, she even occasionally does it at times when she is getting tired, she bails midway and flops on her side. I tell her to follow her hands and kick all the way through to the very end, slow and steady til she gets it consistent.

Back